Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Sundance, Wyoming

ZAMBONIMAN

Anyone help me out with this area of Eastern Wyoming? I hunted out there in 2002 the week of Thanksgiving. This fall we will be going a week earlier, hoping to find some mule deer. Last time out we seen tons of big whitetails, most on private land, and very few mulie bucks. Can anyone here steer me in a good direction around Sundance? I'm not looking for a huge mulie, just a respectable deer, doesn't have to be a wall mounter.
The biggest mulie I seen last trip was right in town in Sundance, eating fallen apples off a tree in the boulevard right on the main drag, I forgot my silencer though!
That is a joke about the silencer, for those who read too deeply into things. Any help will be appreciated.

I dont think you have a real great chance at good mule deer buck in that country. Most of the best stuff I've found is pretty much private...and I've never personally seen a really big mule deer up there. There are some decent bucks, but the best ones I've seen are mostly quite a ways North of Sundance and quite a ways South of there.

Heres one I shot close to the Montana border in November 2003:

Img19.jpg

The one thing I would suggest you do is take the time to research the State and BLM lands around there....and dont drive by even a single section of public lands without taking the time to hike out there or glass it.

Thats precisely how I bagged the above buck on a section of BLM, walked out there and glassed him bedded out in the middle of zipville.

Oh, and one last thing...there are some mule deer in the Black Hills, but its thick and you see about 1 mule deer for every 10 whitetail...but it may be worth getting some quads and looking for areas with open country and no roads.....

but it may be worth getting some quads and looking for areas with open country and no roads.....
By quads, I'm assuming you mean maps, right? ;)

Now that is some flat muley country!

Pointer,

Yep, quad maps, they're the best for finding openings in the timber, topo features, no roads, etc. etc.

Thanks for clearing that up...wouldnt want people getting the wrong idea....

I knew where you were coming from, just thought I razz you a bit about suggesting the use of a quad! ;)

Nice buck Buzz! Zamboni, We used to live in Newcastle which is on the south end of the black hills. We shot decent deer just south of town every year. Mostly private property that we hunted on but it would be worth a look at some maps to seeif there is any public down that way. We saw good bucks downtown ever night in the winter and fall so they are around.

Zambonian.....I used to hunt every year with a bunch of you Minnesota Boys in the Hulett and Alva areas. Like most areas where you have white tail and mule deer sharing an area....you will find the mulies working the ridges and the whiter tail the valleys and gullies. Hwy 24 runs through the Black Hills National Forest east of Alva and north of Sundance if you want public lands. Lots of private land around Hulett. Lots of fun time in the town of Hulett when I was alot younger. No B&C, but respectable bucks can be had.

Thanks for some info, by the way, what are these 'quad' maps? Where can I get my hands on some? I do have some BLM and Forest Service maps of this area but they are old. I'm a little naiive to the ways of the western parts of the US. What is my best option for getting some new maps, I know there is a forestry office in Sundance, but I can't seem to find anything on the Internet about it(phone, address)...
Again, thanks for your information.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS4KIDS
Back