Sub Par taxidermy question.

Nice bucks! I think they both look pretty nice myself, but it's hard to tell from a picture.

I had a guy do a wolf for me a few years back. It was MN's first wolf season so there weren't many out there to look at. My taxidermist made a lot of promises but in the end he did (what I thought was) a very poor job. When I expressed my concerns he got pissed and blamed everyone but himself. I still don't understand how it was the tanners fault there is hide paste dripping out of a dozen places around the legs and belly....

In the end, there was nothing I could do. We both walked away pissed and I learned a valuable lesson.

I'd say give the mount a few days. I'm betting it will grow on you.

Nice bucks! I think they both look pretty nice myself, but it's hard to tell from a picture.

I had a guy do a wolf for me a few years back. It was MN's first wolf season so there weren't many out there to look at. My taxidermist made a lot of promises but in the end he did (what I thought was) a very poor job. When I expressed my concerns he got pissed and blamed everyone but himself. I still don't understand how it was the tanners fault there is hide paste dripping out of a dozen places around the legs and belly....

In the end, there was nothing I could do. We both walked away pissed and I learned a valuable lesson.

I'd say give the mount a few days. I'm betting it will grow on you.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. It already is growing on me i think.

I keep the big ones in a different room;)

That really doesn't look bad at all. I mean, if you really aren't happy with it, a simple phone call to ask about why it was done that way would probably go a long way in easing your mind. Simply asking the taxidermist he might explain that it was the best with what he had etc. Personally I don't mind the look though.

Yeah man I wouldn't worry about. Nice stinkin' buck. Congrats!

I kind of like the "mean mug" look he has but it doesn't go with that pose. For a buck to have that expression his head is already down and he is bristled up. I wouldn't want to hide that awesome double throat patch though. Definitely unique and an awesome buck.

I see issues with both bucks, eye work and shape done with clay is off on both. It's easy to see on the side view of both mounts. Average work at best

I don't know if anything is off or not, but I like the way the one on the right. Yes, maybe the nostrils look flared, possibly feom the black around the nose like bambistew said. it doesn't look like that from the profile. Whatever the case he looks like he's large and in charge so it looks good to me. Perfect stuff, like perfect people, have never appealed to me.

Funny story about the eyes, my buddy had one done at a cheaper taxidermist and his buck looks sad. Like he just lost his best friend. LOL

Did an oryx mount on an ad, Cheap. It worked out well. Taxi was wanted more business and did a cheap rate for one season. Excellent mount! Took way too long and I got very anxious!

Turned out great.

I really like the OP mount. No complaints!

The Taxi actually drove 60 miles and caped my orxy in my driveway. Very appreciative!

I have a deer with almost the same form. I would say I think its the eyes that are making you think something is wrong.

I think you're being a bit too critical, but I'm no supreme judge of taxidermy. I'd be happy with it. To be honest, I think the buck on the left may be the lesser of the two. Maybe it's just the picture (2nd one), but the eyes look a tad off...like he's a bit tipsy.

I agree wth the eyes, they seem a bit agressive or something. However, I like it. I just compared it to buck I had mounted 25 years ago and mine looked doe-eyed and amateurish, but I'd never noticed it.. I agree with the poster that said that all animals are individuals. Seeking a "perfect" mount of what is in your minds eye would probably lead to a world of Thomas Kincaide taxidermy. Your buck looks and is awesome. You and the taxidermist should be proud.

Time -

Being a taxidermist myself let me throw a couple little things out there. Part of the problem here is that your comparing the new mount to the old, and the nose on the old deer is not done correctly, it does not have enough clay to square it off, and when it dried it dropped lower then it should have. But it also appears the new buck has slightly enlarged nostrils. That larger nostril look is sought after by some I do mounts for. They want that fight/mean ALIVE look. If your taxidermist was trying for a laid back calm look he failed, if he was looking for something with a little more life in it, he nailed it. That deer is full of character, and I personally would want to accent that character with a more vibrant pose like he gave you. I don't think it would bug you as much if it weren't for the eyes. He doesn't have the front corner of the eyebrows filled with enough clay, which caused them to dry low and flatter. It's not the end of the world, and I personally wouldn't fret much about it.

What I would do, is separate those two deer. Put them on opposite walls, so the comparison isn't so obvious.

To answer one of your questions, yes lots of things can be fixed with the proper level of experience and hide softener.

Hoped I helped.

-Storm

Time -

Being a taxidermist myself let me throw a couple little things out there. Part of the problem here is that your comparing the new mount to the old, and the nose on the old deer is not done correctly, it does not have enough clay to square it off, and when it dried it dropped lower then it should have. But it also appears the new buck has slightly enlarged nostrils. That larger nostril look is sought after by some I do mounts for. They want that fight/mean ALIVE look. If your taxidermist was trying for a laid back calm look he failed, if he was looking for something with a little more life in it, he nailed it. That deer is full of character, and I personally would want to accent that character with a more vibrant pose like he gave you. I don't think it would bug you as much if it weren't for the eyes. He doesn't have the front corner of the eyebrows filled with enough clay, which caused them to dry low and flatter. It's not the end of the world, and I personally wouldn't fret much about it.

What I would do, is separate those two deer. Put them on opposite walls, so the comparison isn't so obvious.

To answer one of your questions, yes lots of things can be fixed with the proper level of experience and hide softener.

Hoped I helped.

-Storm

Thanks Storm. You've helped for sure. It has grown on me a lot since i brought it home.

It looks like he was mounted in an agressive posture and the smaller buck defering to his dominance. They look pretty good to me.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back