Ski goggles for hunting?

OntarioHunter

Weather during my six weeks hunting in Montana this year was challenging. Either wind blowing like hell or sub zero temperature ... or both. This presented several problems. My usual attire for hunting pheasants in winter weather is upland vest over waterfowl jacket. If it's real cold, the hood is attached to the jacket. I'll wear my ball cap under the hood to keep it from creeping around into my peripheral vision. But the hood keeps pushing the brim of the cap down my forhead obscuring vision over the gun barrel. Problem #2 is wind in my face fills my eyes with slobber and blurs vision. It occurred to me the last couple days hunting that untinted ski goggles might be the answer. I don't downhill ski so unsure if it would work for me. Looks like goggles would keep my hood out of the way and protect my eyes from the wind. Two concerns: would I steam up behind the goggles and can I wear prescription glasses behind them? Can I mount the gun properly with goggles on? Asking for input from experienced downhill guys. Thanks.

Last edited:
Weather during my six weeks hunting in Montana this year was challenging. Either wind blowing like hell or sub zero temperature ... or both. This presented several problems. My usual attire for hunting pheasants in winter weather is upland vest over waterfowl jacket. If it's real cold, the hood is attached to the jacket. I'll wear my ball cap under the hood to keep it from creeping around into my peripheral vision. But the hood keeps pushing the brim of the cap down my forhead obscuring vision over the gun barrel. Problem #2 is wind in my face fills my eyes with slobber and blurs vision. It occurred to me the last couple days hunting that untinted ski goggles might be the answer. I don't downhill ski so unsure if it would work for me. Looks like goggles would keep my hood out of the way and protect my eyes from the wind. Two concerns: would I steam up behind the goggles and can I wear prescription glasses behind them? Can I mount the gun properly with goggles on? Asking for input from experienced downhill guys. Thanks.
You will not steam up a good set of goggles. That’s the only answer I have for you.

You can find some that won’t fog, mounting the gun will be a fit/ your face shape issue.

Over glasses narrows your options but there are still some.

Over glasses mounting a gun, clear, peripheral vision… that’s a tall order.

You might want to look at inserts/glazes ie RX eyewear or think about contacts.

Cheapest- safety goggles, they make clear over glass

Next look at Mtn biking googles, lots of clear options, might find some over glasses ones.

Then I would google mountain biking glasses, maybe a RX pair of full frame would work for you.

Smith Flywheel or Rudy Project Deltabeat optical dock

Ski googles, you can get over glasses ones and clear, I’d worry about mounting the gun as these will be the biggest goggles. Also ski goggles suck to hike in for the most part.

Also consider tinted, a light yellow or rose work really well in low light conditions. I have clear lens and rarely use them.

Last note the bigger your glasses frames are the bigger the struggle will be, big frame glasses are really hard to accommodate.

If it were me I’d get a bunch of daily contacts and these…

You can find some that won’t fog, mounting the gun will be a fit/ your face shape issue.

Over glasses narrows your options but there are still some.

Over glasses mounting a gun, clear, peripheral vision… that’s a tall order.

You might want to look at inserts/glazes ie RX eyewear or think about contacts.

Cheapest- safety goggles, they make clear over glass

Next look at Mtn biking googles, lots of clear options, might find some over glasses ones.

Then I would google mountain biking glasses, maybe a RX pair of full frame would work for you.

Smith Flywheel or Rudy Project Deltabeat optical dock

Ski googles, you can get over glasses ones and clear, I’d worry about mounting the gun as these will be the biggest goggles. Also ski goggles suck to hike in for the most part.

Also consider tinted, a light yellow or rose work really well in low light conditions. I have clear lens and rarely use them.

Last note the bigger your glasses frames are the bigger the struggle will be, big frame glasses are really hard to accommodate.

If it were me I’d get a bunch of daily contacts and these…

Thanks. The doc says no contacts for me. It was touch and go for several years trying to save the left eye. It requires a prism lens. I guess they do make weighted contact lenses that will stay oriented but I'm told my eyes are too delicate.

Seems several outfits make OTG (over the glasses) ski goggles but they do look bulky.

Thanks. The doc says no contacts for me. It was touch and go for several years trying to save the left eye. It requires a prism lens. I guess they do make weighted contact lenses that will stay oriented but I'm told my eyes are too delicate.

Seems several outfits make OTG (over the glasses) ski goggles but they do look bulky.
If that’s the case your cheap option is an over glasses google, probably construction type and the more expensive option is an integrated google/glasses.

If you were a big skier I’d say go for the integrated goggle, but in your case I’m not sure if it’s worth the $$

They do work though, I have a buddy whose been skiing in something like this his whole life.
CB56C24A-E6A0-45CA-99E2-444D831A3A5B.jpeg

Good goggles don't fog up. You pay a good penny for them. I wear sunglasses if it's snowing. Smiths with the chromopop lenses. I think you can get prescription. Pretty much if the sun is out my eyes have sunglasses on them.

You might want to check out these brapstraps.

My old job i wore ESS goggles daily and for significant hours, when dark i would swap out to set of clear lens. Several guys wore glasses under them, in some rather nasty environments they worked great.

After my retinal detachment surgery, I have to wear glasses again until my cataract forms which will be in a year or two. In the meantime, in addition to glasses, my surgery eye dries out very easily so I usually hunt in goggles. I bought the prescription lenses that fit inside standard ski goggles. I usually carry two ski goggles in my pack- clear ones for the cloudy days and sunrise/ sunset and tinted ones as well. When it’s cold out, I really like wearing the goggles, even hiking. When it’s warmer and not too windy, then I’ll wear my usual glasses. I definitely miss not having to wear glasses which is why I’m kind of excited for my cataract, but in the end, humans are very adaptable and if there’s a will, there’s a way. The attached pics are of my success with goggles, though I do agree- putting them on your forehead increases the fog potential. The clear lens pic with the smaller deer shows the lenses inside the goggle quite well. Good luck to you.

I did a write up a few years ago on that first season after my eye surgery if you’re curious. That’s when I went through the learning curve on how to hunt with glasses/ a serious eye injury.

AAAA771D-3A6A-4B57-B0A7-FF595CA367C6.png80F2F133-8C95-400F-B49C-0328CA4E51CF.png

Last edited:
After my retinal detachment surgery, I have to wear glasses again until my cataract forms which will be in a year or two. In the meantime, in addition to glasses, my surgery eye dries out very easily so I usually hunt in goggles. I bought the prescription lenses that fit inside standard ski goggles. I usually carry two ski goggles in my pack- clear ones for the cloudy days and sunrise/ sunset and tinted ones as well. When it’s cold out, I really like wearing the goggles, even hiking. When it’s warmer and not too windy, then I’ll wear my usual glasses. I definitely miss not having to wear glasses which is why I’m kind of excited for my cataract, but in the end, humans are very adaptable and if there’s a will, there’s a way. The attached pics are of my success with goggles, though I do agree- putting them on your forehead increases the fog potential. The clear lens pic with the smaller deer shows the lenses inside the goggle quite well. Good luck to you.

I did a write up a few years ago on that first season after my eye surgery if you’re curious. That’s when I went through the learning curve on how to hunt with glasses/ a serious eye injury.

View attachment 256187View attachment 256188
I can empathize. Three retina detachments in my left eye and perhaps a dozen laser patch jobs on both eyes. At one time the doctors predicted eventual blindness. But I had my last surgery 2004 and last laser treatment about ten years ago. They now say I'm good to go for the duration. Ophthalmologist was however not very excited about my thoughts of taking up bull riding. 😁

Thanks for your response. Sounds like this could work. Because I always wear my upland vest hunting both birds and big game, it will be no problem stashing the goggles when not needed. Just slip them into my vest's game bag ... or daypack if I'm wearing it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back