Sons 2023 Elk back from the taxidermist

npaden

I posted these pictures in the original thread on the hunt and debated whether to post them on a separate thread or not but have caved in and decided to post them here.

Super excited and proud of my son on this bull. He was going to shoot the first legal bull we saw and this was it.

I think the taxidermy work came out good. Something looks a little off on the pictures from the side but in person it looks better.

Took some work moving other stuff around and not sure we have room for much else. I’ll miss it when he gets his own place and takes this with him.

IMG_9301.jpeg
IMG_9291.jpeg
IMG_9295.jpeg

Looks a little crowded in the corner now. This is my little elk which was my big elk that I was super proud of back in 2010 when I shot him.

IMG_9312.jpeg

And the taxidermist got my whitetail from this year done already too. First whitetail I’ve had mounted. I think it turned out well too.

IMG_9313.jpeg

With all the discussion on trophy hunting it isn’t about the trophy to me (and we were hunting for meat and just happened to find a big elk) but it is neat to have them on the wall and be able to re-live the experience. They are beautiful animals too.

Thought I would share. My son is super happy with the results.

Only thing that I can see is the neck might look a little on the skinny side, but I wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't mentioned something being off. Looks good, and great bull!!

That’s a really great bull. Beautiful mount, too. Congrats to the both of you

I posted these pictures in the original thread on the hunt and debated whether to post them on a separate thread or not but have caved in and decided to post them here.

Super excited and proud of my son on this bull. He was going to shoot the first legal bull we saw and this was it.

I think the taxidermy work came out good. Something looks a little off on the pictures from the side but in person it looks better.

Took some work moving other stuff around and not sure we have room for much else. I’ll miss it when he gets his own place and takes this with him.

View attachment 321665
View attachment 321666
View attachment 321667

Looks a little crowded in the corner now. This is my little elk which was my big elk that I was super proud of back in 2010 when I shot him.

View attachment 321668

And the taxidermist got my whitetail from this year done already too. First whitetail I’ve had mounted. I think it turned out well too.

View attachment 321669

With all the discussion on trophy hunting it isn’t about the trophy to me (and we were hunting for meat and just happened to find a big elk) but it is neat to have them on the wall and be able to re-live the experience. They are beautiful animals too.

Thought I would share. My son is super happy with the results.
Not about the trophy for me either, I hunt for meat. Well think I do! If I was to run into a nice buck or bull elk I wouldn't hold my fire I'm sure! That's two nice looking elk mounts!

Thanks for the comments everyone. I shared them with my son and he thought that was cool. Still pretty stoked about it all the way around.

I think it helps show that even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. I really did think that the bull I shot in New Mexico in 2010 could be the biggest elk I was ever going to shoot in my life and that's why I got him shoulder mounted. Now both my son and I have shot elk much bigger with mine being on a general tag in Wyoming and and his on an OTC tag in Colorado.

Not sure either of us will be able to top this one though.

Not sure either of us will be able to top this one though.
No kidding though sure worth trying! :) All reality, it's the hunt that makes life that much more enjoyble.
Fantastic bull - grats to your son and a nice mixed setting from trapping (furs?) and spread of big game - 'lope, nice whitetail, and a couple prized bulls! Dig the wood rafters and house setting!

Again, grats to the two of you!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back