Stuff you don't like for no good reason

I had to go check a few rifle actions. Someone claimed 4" difference between a 30-06 and 308 length action. Well I measured a 1903 Springfield, a 700 ADL in 25-06, a 243 Rem 700adl and a Mossberg Patriot in 308. Not anywhere near 4" difference. You don't save all that much weight and the reload time of one to the other doesn't amount to a hill of beans. That was satire wasn't it?
A 700S/A is 7/8” shorter, and 3oz lighter(including bottom metal magazine, spring follower and trigger guard) than a 700L/A, and a 700L/A(including the above) is lighter than most other common S/A bolt actions(again including the above mentioned parts).

The 7/8” is the most significant part as it puts the muzzle of an equal length and weight barrel 7/8” father from you, increasing its torque and making it feel slightly heavier than it is. A L/A might feel a little heavier for an offhand shooter, but when packing, most people wouldn’t know the difference, and A) you can do quite a few different things very cheaply to make up that 3oz that few people ever do, B) if you did all those things to both, you’re still talking about two extremely light rifles, one of which is only 3oz heavier than the other, and C) most people are going to shoot an 8lb-11lb rifle a lot better in the field than a 6lb rifle.

How many people worry about using a S/A to save 3oz, but didn’t drill a hole in the bottom of their toothbrush that already only has half a handle? I don’t even take a toothbrush. I leave my stove at the truck now too.

I had to go check a few rifle actions. Someone claimed 4" difference between a 30-06 and 308 length action. Well I measured a 1903 Springfield, a 700 ADL in 25-06, a 243 Rem 700adl and a Mossberg Patriot in 308. Not anywhere near 4" difference. You don't save all that much weight and the reload time of one to the other doesn't amount to a hill of beans. That was satire wasn't it?
GOT ME!~ :)

I’m intrigued by the first part. What about magnums? I half agree with you
I said “no good reason”.

As far as the not so good reasons:

1) brass is expensive and hard to come by from top manufacturers.

2) Belts are stupid and only make it harder to make really good brass.

3) I can’t set back and rechamber my barrel to a non-magnum which means that if I’m unhappy with a project, it’s pretty much done and can’t be turned into something else I’m gonna like.

4) My favorite cheap action is a 700, and I like having all three rings of steel. I’ve pierced enough primers pushing the limits that I prefer it happens in a 700 with a 700 extractor. I’ve never had an extractor fail. From what I can tell, the vast majority of the failures occur in magnums. I don’t really want to have to go to an extractor style that sacrifices one of the three rings. That said, the M-16 style is a lot less dangerous than the Sako style, and ironically I love Sako actions, especially the L46/461, L57/579, and L61.

I said “no good reason”.

As far as the not so good reasons:

1) brass is expensive and hard to come by from top manufacturers.

2) Belts are stupid and only make it harder to make really good brass.

3) I can’t set back and rechamber my barrel to a non-magnum which means that if I’m unhappy with a project, it’s pretty much done and can’t be turned into something else I’m gonna like.

4) My favorite cheap action is a 700, and I like having all three rings of steel. I’ve pierced enough primers pushing the limits that I prefer it happens in a 700 with a 700 extractor. I’ve never had an extractor fail. From what I can tell, the vast majority of the failures occur in magnums. I don’t really want to have to go to an extractor style that sacrifices one of the three rings. That said, the M-16 style is a lot less dangerous than the Sako style, and ironically I love Sako actions, especially the L46/461, L57/579, and L61.
Can’t argue there. I will say that the 7mm Rem Mag holds a place in my heart though.

Can’t argue there. I will say that the 7mm Rem Mag holds a place in my heart though.
Get a 280AI, and some Lapua 30-06 brass. It might not be equal but it’s close enough.

I’m thinking N565 should be the ticket with 180s. N560 is too fast…might be just right with light bullets.

Remington rifles. Non-typical whitetails. Waterfowl-obsessed hunters. Morning deer hunts.
????? There can’t be any good reasons for any of those. Darn good for a CHEAP rifle. Who cares if it’s typical? I just want it big and heavy. Morning is when I’ve killed most of my deer. Just because my two biggest were within minutes of last legal light in the evening means nothing.

Waterfowl…maybe if that’s all you can hunt in your backyard.

Last edited:
I have a sweat shirt that’s says “I like hunting and maybe 3 people.” As I go through my day, I encounter many folks that see that sweat shirt as an open invitation to strike up a conversation.

Sorry dude at the grocery story, the shirt isn’t ironic, it’s a statement of fact.

TL;DR - I don’t like talking to people I don’t know. Because I don’t like people that I don’t know.

????? There can’t be any good reasons for any of those. Darn good for a CHEAP rifle. Who cares if it’s typical? I just want it big and heavy. Morning is when I’ve killed most of my deer. Just because my two biggest were within minutes of last legal light in the evening means nothing.
Sorry, didn't know I needed a reason to not like something for no good reason

Get a 280AI, and some Lapua 30-06 brass. It might not be equal but it’s close enough.

I’m thinking N565 should be the ticket with 180s. N560 is too fast…might be just right with light bullets.
have one. Love it. Building another. Can’t send out the heavy stuff as fast as the Rem mag, but I don’t hunt elk currently so it doesn’t matter.

IMR 7828 has proved to be a good powder for a pretty wide range of weights

I don’t like

have one. Love it. Building another Can’t send out the heavy stuff as fast as the Rem mag, but I don’t hunt elk currently so it doesn’t matter.

IMR 7828 has proved to be a good powder for a pretty wide range of weights
I bet with the right powder it’s DARRRRRRN close. If it’s not, you might have a slow barrel on the AI or a fast barrel on the Mag.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back