Caribou Gear Tarp

Sticks and Stones- Breaks and Bones

Our last pack out was fueled by visions of moose burgers and grilled elk tenderloin back at camp. We made it back in plenty of time to cook up a good dinner and swap stories into the night. The food tasted even better than it looks.

Attachments

• 20171025_213141_zpskgc750t4.jpg
    20171025_213141_zpskgc750t4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,063
  • 20171025_213239_zpsqliunyco.jpg
    20171025_213239_zpsqliunyco.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 20171025_213203_zpskdg52my0.jpg
    20171025_213203_zpskdg52my0.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 20171025_214907_zpsyukuzj2b.jpg
    20171025_214907_zpsyukuzj2b.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 1,091
Travis, Mike and Reuben went looking for a bull for Reuben the next morning while Dave and I went looking for a mule deer worthy of Dave's tag. After four straight days of packing meat, I think Dave was ready to carry his own rifle for a while.

Turns out he didn't have to carry it for long. This beautiful buck capped off an incredible week of hard work and blessing from God.

Attachments

• 20171026_164922_zpsojuguifz.jpg
    20171026_164922_zpsojuguifz.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,103
I am very grateful for the help and advice from everyone who helped make this hunt successful for Olivia and I. I'm especially grateful to Dave for his willingness to carry a lot of elk meat and sacrifice his own hunting time to help us.
Travis Heater and Justin Schaaf were instrumental in helping us with finding likely areas for elk. It would have be very difficult to have been successful without them. Thank-you guys!

A final few notes about this hunt. Looking at these pictures, it could be easy to conclude that it is very easy to find nice bulls and bucks in this open country. In fact, at times it can be very difficult. Word on the street from hunters camped near ours was that there was very limited game in the region due to the drought this summer. Many people pulled out and headed for different areas after the first day. Those who stayed and kept grinding it out by walking a lot of miles and glassing found game and filled tags.

With the area being so open compared to western Montana, it is easy to fool yourself into thinking the bulls and bucks will just be standing in the open and all you have to do is shoot them. That ideas dies quickly when reality sets in and hunters who don't work hard usually leave disillusioned with the reputation this area has for producing quality animals. The way animals are distributed in this country varies with some areas having good numbers of animals and other areas having very low densities. I don't know enough about the area to know why, but I do know if you wish to be successful you must be willing to glass constantly and put some miles on your boots.

My bull ended up grossing 340 5/8" and I feel very blessed and fortunate to have taken him. In all honesty, there was no more skill involved in killing him than it was Olivia's or any other elk kill I've been privileged to be part of. It just so happened that day I was in the right place at the right time. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Great experience! Thanks for posting such a great write up and such nice pictures. Congratulations!

What a season you, family, and friends are having. Great write up Gerald.

Dilly Dilly.....

What a trip!! Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous and also now strangely hungry.

Very well done!! Congrats on the filling of the tags and for having help on the pack outs!

Great read and great hunt for everyone, some good looking country too. Your camp took some great animals! Congratulations to everyone.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brady1988
Back