Starting Over on Gear

Thanks, not sure how else to face this. Opportunity is always better than challenge to me. Thank you!
Make lemonade out of lemons. It's a pain the ass for sure. We had mountain bikes stolen this last yeare and I was able to significantly upgrade them by being patient and shopping used.

If you dont mind, could you explain how you got insurance to cover the stolen items? I'd imagine this sort of thing happens a lot. Thanks!

Sure! I filed the break-in claim as an auto claim. They came back and told me that auto would only cover contents to $2400 or something like that so they were moving to my homeowners policy as a stolen goods claim. I use USAA for both auto and homeowners insurance so it was pretty seamless from my point of view. I guess the insight to me was that car property theft was covered by homeowners. I recommend folks check their policies and ask about coverage in case this happens to them. If you have USAA, they will cover it. The adjuster told me up front, "we have your back and your items are covered". She was right!

When looking at glass consider Athlon. Specifically the 15x45x65 spotter. I love their binoculars as well. Compared to some other highly touted brands I think you really get your moneys worth with Athlon. lifetime guarantee as well. just my .02

When looking at glass consider Athlon. Specifically the 15x45x65 spotter. I love their binoculars as well. Compared to some other highly touted brands I think you really get your moneys worth with Athlon. lifetime guarantee as well. just my .02

Thanks! I was looking at that one but without first hand knowledge of the company I was a little hesitant. Appreciate the vector!

When rolling down the interstate ill always drive off 20 miles or so to a small town motel that I can park my loaded rig up right to the room door. Crack the window open and you'll have no problems.

Depends on what you want your gear to do. Are you wanting all around gear? You could break gear down to a species specific if you plan on hunting only one thing. Or like some just like having lots of stuff. I am guilty of this.

Depends on what you want your gear to do. Are you wanting all around gear? You could break gear down to a species specific if you plan on hunting only one thing. Or like some just like having lots of stuff. I am guilty of this.
Guilty!! Never realized how much stuff I just never used until it was stolen. I kept going back to the same stuff that worked over and over again but would not toss what was marginal.

Go as american as possible. Kifaru makes good packs, and camping gear and some clothing. Tents are subjective but get a good quality one. Kifaru sells the hilleburg which is very spendy but works. Beyond Clothing I believe is all american and they have some nice clothing at more reasonable prices. Cant go wrong with vortex and their return policy's. Ive heard maven is really good from some buddys. But if you have the cash, go really high end, Swaros, Zeiss. Sounds like you know whats up with rifles so thats on you. You'll blow your entire budget if you go sitka or kuiu :p Im just kidding. Sounds like this should be fun for you!

Go as american as possible. Kifaru makes good packs, and camping gear and some clothing. Tents are subjective but get a good quality one. Kifaru sells the hilleburg which is very spendy but works. Beyond Clothing I believe is all american and they have some nice clothing at more reasonable prices. Cant go wrong with vortex and their return policy's. Ive heard maven is really good from some buddys. But if you have the cash, go really high end, Swaros, Zeiss. Sounds like you know whats up with rifles so thats on you. You'll blow your entire budget if you go sitka or kuiu :p Im just kidding. Sounds like this should be fun for you!
Yup the dollars add up quick when you start looking at the specialty gear! So far Mystery Ranch Beartooth and Mule, Atlas Apex snowshoes, Katadyn water pump and bag, replaced the MSR Universal stove...getting there! Will do a list of what all I replace.

Terre Haute is the armpit of Indiana. I went to college there and we always called it the Terrible Haute. And I know it has gotten worse since I left.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back