Caribou Gear Tarp

Starting Over on Gear

That's crappy... I hope you're building another 338 wm! I recently bought a kuiu pack off of Facebook on a kuiu buy sell group. Got the frame, suspension, 5200 and 1850 bag for 375. And it's been used once only. So it's basically new! Good deals to be had. I'm not a big help in terms of gear and what's worked. I've hunted since I could walk but mainly in the midwest. I've only hunted in the mountains once. More coming this fall!

Clothing is still on my list so I'm gonna listen to everyone's recommendations in terms of brands, etc. Mountain gear is different than what I hunt in around here. I put my carharts on and kill deer every year! I also love to hear that Vortex is helping you out. Vortex doesn't get a lot of love on this site but I love them and they've always been great in terms of customer support and customer satisfaction.

I'm glad to hear insurance helped. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I wouldn't want to get rid of my gear (guns especially) and be forced to start fresh... Best of luck recouping from the loss!

There is a great thread here that recaps gear that worked and what didnt during the last season. lots of good information and if you take the time to read the whole thing, (and same thread from last year) you can quickly see trends emerge on the basic gear like boot, packs, clothing etc. That would be a great place to start compiling your list.

Love that attitude.

I lost two rifles, sat phone, scope and a lot of good gear attempting to cross a river. Hunt over.
I looked at it as an opportunity to start over with newer, better gear. No insurance and hard lesson learned.

There is a great thread here that recaps gear that worked and what didnt during the last season. lots of good information and if you take the time to read the whole thing, (and same thread from last year) you can quickly see trends emerge on the basic gear like boot, packs, clothing etc. That would be a great place to start compiling your list.

will check it out, thanks for the vector!

What size are you and what gear or clothing are you really needing? I haven't done my annual gear dump here . . .

thanks! For clothes i am pretty good as they left those along with my kennetreks, sleeping bags, and underquilt. Other than that I ordered new water filters from katadyn and a sleeping pad from klymit. Have some time to research so now looking at packs (multi-day and single day), building a new rifle, optics, game bags, water bladder (probably source tactical), new fly rod and reel, creel, pretty much all that sustainment gear that adds up.

That's crappy... I hope you're building another 338 wm! I recently bought a kuiu pack off of Facebook on a kuiu buy sell group. Got the frame, suspension, 5200 and 1850 bag for 375. And it's been used once only. So it's basically new! Good deals to be had. I'm not a big help in terms of gear and what's worked. I've hunted since I could walk but mainly in the midwest. I've only hunted in the mountains once. More coming this fall!

Clothing is still on my list so I'm gonna listen to everyone's recommendations in terms of brands, etc. Mountain gear is different than what I hunt in around here. I put my carharts on and kill deer every year! I also love to hear that Vortex is helping you out. Vortex doesn't get a lot of love on this site but I love them and they've always been great in terms of customer support and customer satisfaction.

I'm glad to hear insurance helped. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I wouldn't want to get rid of my gear (guns especially) and be forced to start fresh... Best of luck recouping from the loss!

Thanks! I think I will stay with the 338. It always worked well for me. My backup rifle they stole was a pre-salt Browning Hi-Power bolt action in 308 Norma Mag. Hard to get that one replaced, was a great shooter and caliber.

Thanks! I think I will stay with the 338. It always worked well for me. My backup rifle they stole was a pre-salt Browning Hi-Power bolt action in 308 Norma Mag. Hard to get that one replaced, was a great shooter and caliber.
If you're able to build rifles, you ought to make a backup one as well! Pretty neat skill to have!

thanks! For clothes i am pretty good as they left those along with my kennetreks, sleeping bags, and underquilt. Other than that I ordered new water filters from katadyn and a sleeping pad from klymit. Have some time to research so now looking at packs (multi-day and single day), building a new rifle, optics, game bags, water bladder (probably source tactical), new fly rod and reel, creel, pretty much all that sustainment gear that adds up.
Also, for what it's worth, while I haven't had a chance to use the multi day pack, I love the Kuiu I got a few weeks ago. I bought one frame/suspension along with 2 bags which all fit on the same frame/suspension. I've seen many people load their day hunting gear into the smaller 1850 pack, then place that pack inside of the larger 5200 one along with all the backpacking essentials. Then once you get where you're going and make camp, you can switch over to the 1850 for day hunting, but it still has all of it's ability to haul a load should you be successful!

Also, for what it's worth, while I haven't had a chance to use the multi day pack, I love the Kuiu I got a few weeks ago. I bought one frame/suspension along with 2 bags which all fit on the same frame/suspension. I've seen many people load their day hunting gear into the smaller 1850 pack, then place that pack inside of the larger 5200 one along with all the backpacking essentials. Then once you get where you're going and make camp, you can switch over to the 1850 for day hunting, but it still has all of it's ability to haul a load should you be successful!

That is great info! will check it out!

If you're able to build rifles, you ought to make a backup one as well! Pretty neat skill to have!

i have been doing it a while, my family history includes gunmakers in Bedford County PA that made PA rifles for the revolution. I have built several on an old South Bend Heavy 10 lathe. It kicks out some good tolerance and makes pretty good shooters. My 338 was a very tight cloverleaf shooter and a 25-06 I built for a friend in the FBI was a one hole wonder that almost did not find its way to him!

i have been doing it a while, my family history includes gunmakers in Bedford County PA that made PA rifles for the revolution. I have built several on an old South Bend Heavy 10 lathe. It kicks out some good tolerance and makes pretty good shooters. My 338 was a very tight cloverleaf shooter and a 25-06 I built for a friend in the FBI was a one hole wonder that almost did not find its way to him!
That's awesome! Next question is when are you gonna start building rifles for guys on the forum to buy!? ;)

I agree with others. I’d make a list of the gear you had and used the most often. Then look at them and see if they actually were what you wanted/liked or was it just what you had at that time. Upgrade things that were uncomfortable or didn’t work well for you and replace the other proven items you need to get by. Buying used will let you get higher quality gear and still have funds left to splurge on some new things hopefully.
yep

Happy to! It normally takes a while but the product is pretty good! One day I would like to make it my only job, but need to get the last one of to college first!
You ought to start a thread when you start building your .338, I'd love to follow along and see the process! Especially the end result!

You ought to start a thread when you start building your .338, I'd love to follow along and see the process! Especially the end result!

I will! Here is a picture of a 25-06 buildDPG25-06.png on a Remington 700 receiver, Hogue aluminum bedded stock, and a Shilen Match barrel. Process included:
Custom Timney Trigger
Hand fitting the Match Barrel
Blueprinting the receiver and bolt lugs
Polish the raceway
Bolt Face trued
Barrel crowned
Action pillar or full length bed and glass bed barrel support first inch in front of the receiver
Scope rings lapped
Free floated barrel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back