Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Starting Over on Gear

Crash87

Team - returning from Colorado elk hunt my truck was robbed of two rifles (one was my custom build Ruger 338 Win Mag that was my go to), hunting and camping gear that pretty much wiped me out. I am getting started building a new rifle, collecting components and warming up the lathe. Good news is insurance came through. Now I am in start over mode! What gear do you folks suggest if you had to start over clean? Appreciate your help! (ps. do not stop overnight in Terre Haute!)

Rifles are as subjective as gear. You are gonna get a ton of opinions with a post like this.

What happen to you sucks! I think about it every year when I set camp for over a month. Literally set camp for the entire month of Sept. Thankfully we have never been robbed. Sorry to hear about your situation. I am glad the insurance company came through. Hope all your new toys are top notch.

Lemons into lemonade.

I’ll just start with an easy one that isn’t brand specific.

Puffy pants!

Thanks, was pretty disappointing. A Vortex Razor 11-33 spotter along with ultralight backpacks and cabelas hunting pack, hammock, tarps, tents gone in a couple hours. Fly rig gone. Lots of gear over 30 or so years of hunting, but wanted to make informed rebuys to avoid the normal hit and miss gear approaches over time. I have replaced my katadyn pump and bag filters along with my Klymit insulated sleeping pad. Need a pack, thinking the MR Beartooth would be good. My 3 day Tactical Tailor pack issued in Iraq was taken, so looking at the MR Mule as a replacement. Like my Alps Lynx and Warbonnet Outdoors Traveler hammock/bug net. Looking to hear those items that you may have gotten on a second or third buy that you wish you would have gotten the first time. +1 on puffy pants!

Thanks, was pretty disappointing. A Vortex Razor 11-33 spotter along with ultralight backpacks and cabelas hunting pack, hammock, tarps, tents gone in a couple hours. Fly rig gone. Lots of gear over 30 or so years of hunting, but wanted to make informed rebuys to avoid the normal hit and miss gear approaches over time. I have replaced my katadyn pump and bag filters along with my Klymit insulated sleeping pad. Need a pack, thinking the MR Beartooth would be good. My 3 day Tactical Tailor pack issued in Iraq was taken, so looking at the MR Mule as a replacement. Like my Alps Lynx and Warbonnet Outdoors Traveler hammock/bug net. Looking to hear those items that you may have gotten on a second or third buy that you wish you would have gotten the first time. +1 on puffy pants!

That is brutal, I can’t imagine losing that much stuff. I would get the nicest glass you can and I’m a big fan of the first lite gear because my body chemistry does not work with the synthetic stuff. After ten minutes I smell like I have been in the woods for a week.

I am really happy with my stone glacier pack as well.

That is brutal, I can’t imagine losing that much stuff. I would get the nicest glass you can and I’m a big fan of the first lite gear because my body chemistry does not work with the synthetic stuff. After ten minutes I smell like I have been in the woods for a week.

I am really happy with my stone glacier pack as well.
Appreciate the info! Like the first lite but have not looked at the stone glacier equipment.

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit. This might be the opportunity I've been waiting for. I was going though some gear at my house not sure of your situation or size even maybe if your interested I have some decent sitka gear that I haven't worn for 3 years. I'm not living high on the hog by any means but I thought instead of selling it for 25 percent of what I paid I'd gift it to someone who can use it or someone getting into the sport.

For whatever it's worth it might be of interest to you. If not I understand, that really sucks man the gears one thing but guns are another. It's all very expensive to rebuild and replace so I'm sure anything helps. Check out SG they're not gonna do it for everyone but I bet if you explain your situation they'll give you a bit of a break. Good luck.

Take a look at classified ads here and other places as well, you can really stretch your insurance dollars if you're a shrewd shopper for lightly-used gear.

I've been kicking this idea around for a bit. This might be the opportunity I've been waiting for. I was going though some gear at my house not sure of your situation or size even maybe if your interested I have some decent sitka gear that I haven't worn for 3 years. I'm not living high on the hog by any means but I thought instead of selling it for 25 percent of what I paid I'd gift it to someone who can use it or someone getting into the sport.

For whatever it's worth it might be of interest to you. If not I understand, that really sucks man the gears one thing but guns are another. It's all very expensive to rebuild and replace so I'm sure anything helps. Check out SG they're not gonna do it for everyone but I bet if you explain your situation they'll give you a bit of a break. Good luck.
Thanks for the offer, appreciate the thought! Funny thing is they did not take hunting clothes or sleeping bags/underquilt. SG does a good job on things i have gotten there and Vortex offered me 50% MSRP to replace the scope. Good people and companies out there!

Sorry about your loss. Sucks. I have the Beartooth and like it. It’s a good value, especially if you catch it when it goes on sale for 25% off.

Last edited:
I'd take the time to make sure I refined and upgraded gear. I would also be looking online for discounts; FB groups, ebay, etc.

I agree with others. I’d make a list of the gear you had and used the most often. Then look at them and see if they actually were what you wanted/liked or was it just what you had at that time. Upgrade things that were uncomfortable or didn’t work well for you and replace the other proven items you need to get by. Buying used will let you get higher quality gear and still have funds left to splurge on some new things hopefully.

You have the right mind set.

Sorry, for the crappy experience. But, you are taking the right steps to make it positive.

Happy shopping.

I agree with others. I’d make a list of the gear you had and used the most often. Then look at them and see if they actually were what you wanted/liked or was it just what you had at that time. Upgrade things that were uncomfortable or didn’t work well for you and replace the other proven items you need to get by. Buying used will let you get higher quality gear and still have funds left to splurge on some new things hopefully.
Wise words, my friend, you have hit on an important point I missed. Document means think. Will go a long way to thinking this through!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back