Squirrel Hunting With Handguns

dovehunter

It's been a few years since I've hunted squirrels. Longer than that since I hunted with a handgun. I've got a S&W model 41 with a 2 1/2 scope. 10 shots make one hole off sand bags at 25 yards. I've used it in the past and it makes a challenging hunt. Maybe a good old squirrel hunt with a handgun will get my interest back in hunting. Anyone hunt squirrels with handguns? Anyone use calls?

I've used calls with little luck. The handgun thing sounds like a blast! I always wanted to pack mine when deer hunting, but couldn't stand the thought of blowing the chance at the big buck I never shot!

Our deer season ends in the middle of Jan. Our squirrel season ends the last day of Feb. That gives us a good month and a half of cold weather woods. I'd like to get into using calls, anybody have any advice? What are the do's and don'ts and best type calls to use? Another favorite firearm I use is a Ruger 10/22 full stock with a tasco propoint. I like the red dot, when I use it for hunting I call it red light hunting.

I have tried to use a barking call but it is so sick that it scares everything away.

I even have tried the penny on the stock trick my Dad showed me. But all that accomplished was a little refinishing.
frown.gif

I've shot a lot of squirrels with handguns. Mostly ground squirrels, and a few grays.
I've used everything from a Ruger single six to a custom .45 ACP, but my favorite sqirrel medicine is a S&W M48, 6" .22 Mag.(K frame) six shot. Hunting small game with a rimfire handgun is a lot of fun.

anaconda, after years of cracking their heads with scoped 22s the squirrel hunting started to loose a little something to me. out came the s&w 4" k22 and it gave me a whole new challenge. {and a lot less squirrels} nowdays i will usually take the rifle out one time to get the makins of a good squirrel fry and then for the rest of the season it's handgun only. this works out really well these days because i'm not the serious squirrel hunter that i once was. most of my handgun hunts are also deer scouts and stand hanging sessions. your m41 sounds like the perfect rig, get it out i'm sure you'll have a ball. two-dot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back