SPOT vs InReach vs Cerberlink?

Found this little nugget too.

How many Self Tests and GPS Test can I perform?

Normal Self-Tests GPS Tests
ResQLink PLB 220 12
ResQLink+ PLB 220 12
SARLink PLB 420 12
SARLink View PLB 420 60
AquaLink PLB 420 12
AquaLink View PLB 420 60
GlobalFix Pro EPIRB 420 1
GlobalFix iPro EPIRB 420 1
Satellite3 EPIRB 420 N/A

Looks like you have plenty of regular self tests that would send a signal, but doing a GPS self test really drains the battery down on them. On the one I was looking at you could only do that 12 times before needing to replace the battery. Looks like you could send an "everything's okay" message plenty of times, just not with your GPS address.

Actually that could be useful, let someone know that if you just send the regular self check test that it is exactly that, everything's okay, but if you do one with your GPS coordinates that means that you have an animal down or might need non emergency help or some other pre-arranged message like that where they would need to know your location.

With the Iridium sat phones, is there a texting option with them too?

Yep. 50 cents a text. You just have to spring for the $1,000 for the phone and the $40 per month service plan. Or rent it. They also use the globalstar system that some say is less reliable.

With the Iridium sat phones, is there a texting option with them too?

Yep, a lot of plans the incoming sms message is free but outgoing plans range from .50 to $1 per depending on plan you choose. 160 characters is what my inreach is too. If you get a message that is over 160 characters then it will break it up into multiple texts. A lot of the sat phones(prob all the newer ones)have an emergency SOS button like the PLB, InReach, Spot have which is nice because if you're in a very dire situation about the only thing you might be able to do is hit a button and not be able to talk to someone.

Last edited:
Yep. 50 cents a text. You just have to spring for the $1,000 for the phone and the $40 per month service plan. Or rent it. They also use the globalstar system that some say is less reliable.

I rented my phone for $200/month. I can call anyone I want for $1.99 a minute.

Why mess around with all SPOT or anything else, when you can just dial 911 and talk to an actual person?

or you could just be hurt really bad and not be able to think straight/freaking out.

Come on man, unless you're laying in a snow field wearing florescent orange, search and rescue isn't just going to rope down to some emergency signal coordinates. They won't do anything until they have a visual on you.

Yes, they'll have an area to search with people and dogs, but that takes many hours of coordination.

Not to mention, you must have satelite signal for anything to work. Trust me, after carrying a sat phone for years, I can promise you, you have to be on high ground to get signal.

When it all comes down to it, any of the options are going to work most of the time.

I think SPOT gets a bad rap because so many people are sending tracks and check in messages very frequently and some are not going through. The literature on the PLB's say that sometimes their self test messages don't go through. The difference in the emergency signals and the test and check in messages is that once you push the emergency button it is going to be sending the signal out until the battery runs out. Unless you are in a complete hell hole, that signal is eventually going to get through.

With a sat phone, you are going to be the one trying to get the signal over and over again instead of just relying on the locator beacon.

The PLBs do make a pretty good case that their satellite system is better than the global star system.

Having 2 way communication either through an actual voice call or a 2 way text does seem a lot better than just a homing beacon if both are going to get through.

Come on man, unless you're laying in a snow field wearing florescent orange, search and rescue isn't just going to rope down to some emergency signal coordinates. They won't do anything until they have a visual on you.

Yes, they'll have an area to search with people and dogs, but that takes many hours of coordination.

Not to mention, you must have satelite signal for anything to work. Trust me, after carrying a sat phone for years, I can promise you, you have to be on high ground to get signal.

Seriously? You want to argue w/me over whether having a SOS button on a sat phone is beneficial or not? If you don't think they are that's fine, but no reason to try to stir up an argument over it and derail the thread. Believe what you want, I personally thing it's a nice feature to have.

Seriously? You want to argue w/me over whether having a SOS button on a sat phone is beneficial or not? If you don't think they are that's fine, but no reason to try to stir up an argument over it and derail the thread. Believe what you want, I personally thing it's a nice feature to have.

I'm not stirring up an argument.

I'm saying, just pushing a button won't save your life.

I opted for the inReach for the two way texting ability. WIfe liked that feature. Now I just wish I was hunting someplace this year that I could justify using it... :(

a buddy just bought the inreach and sent me several text from Zimbabwe. He is about as tech challenged as can be I'll be interested to hear his experience with it when he is back next week.

When it all comes down to it, any of the options are going to work most of the time.

I think SPOT gets a bad rap because so many people are sending tracks and check in messages very frequently and some are not going through. The literature on the PLB's say that sometimes their self test messages don't go through. The difference in the emergency signals and the test and check in messages is that once you push the emergency button it is going to be sending the signal out until the battery runs out. Unless you are in a complete hell hole, that signal is eventually going to get through.

With a sat phone, you are going to be the one trying to get the signal over and over again instead of just relying on the locator beacon.

The PLBs do make a pretty good case that their satellite system is better than the global star system.

Having 2 way communication either through an actual voice call or a 2 way text does seem a lot better than just a homing beacon if both are going to get through.

this is my thought as well. I am looking at the "SPOT connect". inexpensive considering the alternatives. I thought of sat phone rental though it is close to the same price as purchasing / owning a safety type unit.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116 it links the smart phone to the sat connection for email and text.

The SPOT connect is $150ish and $100 for the basic plan and $150 for the premium plan. It is a one way communicator.

The InReach is $220 and their basic plan is $120 and their premium plan is $300. It is a two way communicator. It is also 3 times the wattage of the SPOT and gets a little better reviews than the SPOT.

The InReach basic plan is pretty basic. 10 texts in and out a month. Overage is $1.50 per text. But if you are on a week long hunt and send and receive 2 texts a day that's 4 over the limit and costs $6 extra. Still a lot cheaper than paying the $25 a month premium plan for the 8 or 9 months a year that you don't need it.

I'm still leaning toward renting for 2 weeks for $65 at least for now.

I live in South Central Idaho and my SPOT has never ever let me down,thick trees,box canyons,if you can see blue sky it sends, I send several messages each time I am out,and my wife can pinpoint my location on the map link. I hunt alone most of the time and the peace of mind is worth every penny, I sent a message yesterday from close to11,000 ft while scouting for goats and it took all of 20 seconds to send.

Last edited:
Renting one would be my first choice... no need to invest in something to be used 2 weeks out of the year. Renting a sat phone was pretty reasonable, and they mail it directly to you, no need to worry about much, except destroying one would be quite spendy... my preference was for the 2 way com, so I can send out a message like "Goat down, head up with frame pack" :) GL on your solo trip!

Another thing about most of these is you can get them brand new off ebay. Paid $150 for my InReach new in box. Then got the seasonal 4 month plan which was $160 and I get 40 texts a month and any extra texts are .50 cents. Just another easy way to save some coin. I'll use mine 5 weeks a year for the hunts I have planed so renting wasn't an efficient option vs buying it outright. The InReach also allows you to send unlimted pre programmed messages, but they do go to email, which isn't a big deal for me.

Another thing about most of these is you can get them brand new off ebay. Paid $150 for my InReach new in box. Then got the seasonal 4 month plan which was $160 and I get 40 texts a month and any extra texts are .50 cents. Just another easy way to save some coin. I'll use mine 5 weeks a year for the hunts I have planed so renting wasn't an efficient option vs buying it outright. The InReach also allows you to send unlimted pre programmed messages, but they do go to email, which isn't a big deal for me.

Not bad. I would prefer an InReach though it seemed to be a 250+ price tag. It weighs an interesting option if found for that price.

If InReach is found for 200 + an additional 120-160 a year for subscription = 360.
Each year after = 160

Sat phone rental = (3 weeks) 240. The minutes are an extra 150 for 90 minutes (30 minutes per week) This option = 390 for a relativ comparison. The 30 minutes per week is to act as an equivalent to the text messaging send / receive of the InReach.

I like the idea of a sat phone though when comparing the two, the following ar my compared points:
Safety - both though to me it edges on the InReach side due to an SOS button press is a continuous call and tracking unit. The sat depends on a person able to call and communicate. Both close though the InReach eeks out a nudge
Communication - both though voice com would be more desired..
Price - InReach, and much better after initial purchase - $160 a year for future hunts whereas the sat remains at the same price each year.
Extras - InReach holds the ability to have outside members follow my mapped route/location and I own it. No need for insurance or covering complete loss of a rented Sat phone.

Seems sold to InReach.

Any corrections to this train of thought? If you have less expensive sat phone rental experience, feel free to link your service.

On the SPOT Connect portion, I mistook it as send/recieve.Thanks for the correction..

So,... how did you guys get along with your various communication devises? I am just starting to research my best options for next Sept. , 1 week CO elk hunt. This would likely be the only time I would need such a device, but I want something that I can communicate to and from family, through either voice or text, from the base of the mountains/creekbottom between mountains. Renting seems like a good option. Any recommendations of which device would work best and who to rent a device from? THANKS!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back