Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

SPOT vs InReach vs Cerberlink?

I still vote sat phone 200%.

The $1.99/minute was worth every penny during both of my trips.

After a couple days, I realized my wife could text/email me the weather daily(for free). I just had to turn my phone on for weather updates. Extremely useful during the SE Alaska portion of my trip...

Last edited:
Just wanted to clarify one thing with the InReach (may have been somewhere in the thread but I didn't see it)...you have to send messages through an app on your phone. That's the only way messages come in or go out, and you have a special number that people reply to in order to communicate. In other words, texts coming to your regular number will not come through.

I like the InReach. It can be a pain to get service at times and there can be a delay in getting messages in or out. However, I personally love the ability of it to keep me connected and I see a tremendous amount of value in the SOS button. I can imagine breaking a leg somewhere and relying on that button to get help to you.

I bought one of these http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...&subdeptNum=50205&classNum=50207#.UplCUWRDtXs four years ago, and I think I can't replace the batteries in the US. I duct taped it inside a block of styrofoam and there it's sat for the entire time. No tests. I don't play with it, I don't need to be sending messages, I hope to never use it, but if I do I want the strongest possible message sent out to real search and rescue. Activating the PLB is not taken lightly. I take it even on day hunts now. If I'm out of cell range and not able to walk it would come in real handy. Works on the other side of the world too. One of the better ways I've spent $200.

Back