Solo Hunting and saftey precautions

StHubert

I am planning a solo hunt in western ND badlands for deer and the bucket list Mountain Lion. For those of you who have done Solo hunting, what are some good safety procedures or tips. I am planning on having a contact person whom I will give the GPS location of my camp and try to do daily updates. I should have cell phone coverage in this location so I can send texts. Other than that what other tips can some you suggest that I do and any other ideas on hunting techniques I should do.
Thanks,
Steve

Sounds like you have it covered. Cell service is a great thing.

All my out of state hunts are Solo, drives my wife nuts when i cant get a Cell signal. After 7 to 10 days shes always ''Just about to call search and rescue''.

You might leave someone search and rescue numbers for the state you will be in.
I also load local sheriff office numbers in my phone before leaving home.

I agree with spook12.

Additionally, I am careful to check over my truck and be sure to have plenty of emergency supplies. I check the spare tire, and carry both a tire patch kit and compressor. I usually have a mechanic check everything out before I go. If there's the least chance of snow, I carry a full set of chains. I always have a sturdy shovel and jack too.

There's always the chance of falling or otherwise being injured while actually hunting, but in my opinion there's more potential for problems on the road.

I agree with spook12.

Additionally, I am careful to check over my truck and be sure to have plenty of emergency supplies. I check the spare tire, and carry both a tire patch kit and compressor. I usually have a mechanic check everything out before I go. If there's the least chance of snow, I carry a full set of chains. I always have a sturdy shovel and jack too.

There's always the chance of falling or otherwise being injured while actually hunting, but in my opinion there's more potential for problems on the road.

I agree fully!! I also carry a spot sos device.

I say find someone who can hunt with you. I did just that recently in WY for lopes. I really did not want to go alone for safety reasons and really I'm tired of hunting alone. Other than that, tell someone where you are , about all you can do.

Howdy Hubert,
I hunt a lot solo and it drives my wife crazy, for the safety factor!! I always rent a satellite phone, as this is the only way my wife allows for me to hunt solo!!! It works great, and really not to expensive, when you consider the security and peace of mind it allows!! I also always put together really good maps and give them to my wife and family members that will give my projected campsites as they can change! Hope this helps, and good luck buddy!!

Depending on where you are going, get a ham radio license and carry a 2 meter walkie talkie (ham band). The hams in many areas have set up "repeater" networks - you can talk to other hams or even make telephone calls from pretty far back in. You do not need to know morse code!

Being worried about safety can turn into a bit of paranoia. Take reasonable precautions, watch your step and let someone know where you are going. Part of solo hunting is taking the risk of being alone. If that bothers you, then always find a partner. I always have enjoyed being out there and taking the risk. I don't like having to worry about where a partner is. My wife has gotten pretty used to it after many years.

I just use the normal precautions and common sense. I leave my wife a map of the area I will be hunting as well as a map on how to access the area. She knows when I will be back and I tell her that if I am not back by a certain time to send the cavalry. I have also installed an app on my iphone that is supposed to allow an SOS signal via GPS to 3 pre-selected contacts with my GPS coordinates. I have yet to use it so I am not 100% sure it will work. However, I will not rely on the app totally. I take supplies that will allow me to survive an additional 3 days if necessary.

All the other suggestions are good, but your decisions are the most important when it comes to safety. when you look at a situation, don't look at it as what are the chances of somethng going wrong, look at it as, what are the chances of being injured when it goes wrong. Then decide whether to cross that rockslide or go around.

Thank you for all of your responses, sometimes what others think is common sense is something you don't think of. I am excited to do this and hopefully I will have some pictures to post after Thanksgiving.

I have also installed an app on my iphone that is supposed to allow an SOS signal via GPS to 3 pre-selected contacts with my GPS coordinates. I have yet to use it so I am not 100% sure it will work. However, I will not rely on the app totally.

What app is this? I think you have to have something else to actually transmit to and from the GPS sattelite that works with your phone. The cheapest I've seen is a couple hundred bucks for the transmitter thingy and a monthly subscription from $10 to $25 per month.

I just photo-copy my maps and circle the areas where I plan on camping/hunting. I try to check in, but usually doesn't happen everyday. I've been able to get texts out of some remote places, if you can gain enough elevation.

The biggest thing is being able to deal with yourself while truly alone in remote places. Mentally and physically. No matter who knows, where you are, you'll live or die based on your own ability to deal with the situation.

I have been looking into a InReach unit. You can use it to text to family with out cell service via satelite. http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/inreach-smartphone.php

I have also been looking at the spot and ARC personal locators.

This last May I was in the NZ alps. We choppered in knowing that a storm was coming but it was way more than we expected. Locals were calling it the storm of the decade, hundreds of livestock were killed.
Now, we had rented PLBs and a mountain radio and another guy brought a satellite phone, so we were well covered and it was a good thing too because we needed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzmBkafjFE&list=UUFmCX5e8nFBCiqGhewo4lpg&index=17&feature=plcp

After that trip I decided that I needed to buy a PLB and it made me much more comfortable on my next hunt where we had to paddle 4 miles up the coast in an inflatable to retrieve my friends ram that fell off a 400+ ft sea cliff. Going in the water was calm.......but coming back we fought 30 knot winds that were pushing out to open sea. Had to paddle at a 45* towards shore just to stay on course. Without a plb I would have been screwed if I didn't make land....maybe would have turned up back in NZ a few months later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4askgWsZQ&list=UUFmCX5e8nFBCiqGhewo4lpg&index=6&feature=plcp

Don't count on cell coverage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back