Horseback Hunting Partner - Western MT

lifeisgoodsteve

Hi all,

Looking for someone in Western MT (I'm in the Bitterroot Valley) who'd be interested in doing some horseback hunting together?

I've always hunted solo and just got back into horses recently, with a young mule. Have done lots of horse camping at the trailhead but want to start packing in for overnights. While I can ride plenty with my gf, she doesn't hunt so am looking for a horseback hunting buddy.

Reach out if interested.

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
Hi all,

Looking for someone in Western MT (I'm in the Bitterroot Valley) who'd be interested in doing some horseback hunting together?

I've always hunted solo and just got back into horses recently, with a young mule. Have done lots of horse camping at the trailhead but want to start packing in for overnights. While I can ride plenty with my gf, she doesn't hunt so am looking for a horseback hunting buddy.

Reach out if interested.

Thanks,

Steve
Good luck finding someone Steve. If I still had a pony I'd be all over it. Just stay out of my spot. mtmuley

Steve, I don’t hunt in the bitterroot, but I plan to start hunting more in different parts of Region 2. I have a 3 year old mare that I have been training since a foal and she is still green, but I have trail ridden her locally and 40-50 times since January when I began training her to ride. I’m not an expert horseman Or know anything about packing. I have no interest in packing in camps, but find success hunting within a half mile to five miles of the road.

I will most likely fill my tags before the general season, mainly bc I get limited tags on the gov Greg friends and family plan. But I would be interested in meeting up in the rifle season and hunting/scouting within an hour or two of Clearwater Jct. My main concern is I don’t feel comfortable leaving my horse tied up for extended periods currently while hunting on foot. But would like to switch turns watching horses, while one person hunts the timber.
Best of luck, and call me if you ever want to talk. Preston 4062101697

Good luck finding someone Steve. If I still had a pony I'd be all over it. Just stay out of my spot. mtmuley
My good on-foot spot is relatively sparse for folks, but thankfully I got into elk at a few spots last year so if I surprise you in your honey hole, I can move on...unless you've already got a bull down and need a hand packing in out...

Last edited:
My good on-foot spot is relatively sparse for folks, but thankfully I got into elk at a few spots last year so if I surprise you in your honey hole, I can move on...unless you've already got a bull down and need a hand packing in out...
I don't see too many people on horses. If I see one this year, I'll make it a point to ask if it's you. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back