Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Age and Elevation

Rzrbck918

Do you guys have any tips/tricks for minimizing acclimatization time at higher elevations particularly as you age. I live at 700ish and hunt at 9000+. I know I should plan to drink a lot more water. I am in good shape but it seems like the first few days are getting rougher.

I live at 4000' and recently hunted in a totally physically easy situation at 9500 feet. By day 2 I had a pounding headache and felt poorly. I thought I had been drinking plenty of water but when I got home I still had a headache and slept poorly. The following day I drank as much as I could and easily drank 6 quarts of water over the course of the day. Clearly I was dehydrated, but I felt like I had been drinking plenty. As I've gotten older I react worse to high elevation, but my takeaway is drink way way more than you think you even can.

I recently took a bowhunter ed class and the instructor said that viagara is good for high elevation hunting because it increases blood flow.

With the caveats that I'm not a doctor, and the felt effects are short lived, and nothing replaces good old-fashioned, home grown red blood cells, O2 in can can help alleviate some symptoms.

I live at 4000' and recently hunted in a totally physically easy situation at 9500 feet. By day 2 I had a pounding headache and felt poorly. I thought I had been drinking plenty of water but when I got home I still had a headache and slept poorly. The following day I drank as much as I could and easily drank 6 quarts of water over the course of the day. Clearly I was dehydrated, but I felt like I had been drinking plenty. As I've gotten older I react worse to high elevation, but my takeaway is drink way way more than you think you even can.
Ive had similar experiences, those headaches and poor sleep make for a tough hunt.

I'm in similar situation living at about 700'.
I always drive out west on hunts and take my time. You are gradually going uphill the entire trip west, spend first night somewhere mid way at a couple thousand feet, then next night pretty near your destination at 5-6000' or greater, then one more night at or near the hunting location before getting into anything strenuous. No booze and about double the water you would normally drink. If you're not peeing regular and peeing clear, you're not drinking enough, min. 1/2 oz water for every pound of body weight daily, more is better.

Easing into it slow like that and continuing to drink lots of water has worked for me. By second or third day at altitude, I'm ready for some big boy drinks and feel pretty normal.

Flying straight to a high altitude destination with no time to acclimate is a good way to get pretty sick. Watched a buddy go through this and we had to get him back down to lower elevation.

Second taking to your doctor.

Mine put me on meds a week before heading to elevation to help with altitude sickness. Seemed to help. Also plan on a day or two at altitude being lazy to let yourself get used to it. If you start working to hard right away it seems to make the sickness worse in my experience

In addition to water, you need to replace electrolytes. LMNT salt is a good one, along with or instead of Wilderness Athlete Hydrate & Recover. Get to the area as soon as you can before the hunt to acclimate. Take it easy the first day if possible (no overexertion). Start drinking water, etc (no caffeine or alcohol) as soon as you can when getting ready to leave for the trip. It might take a day or two to fully hydrate.

I've had good luck going instages 4000 , 6000 , 8000 , and so on , a day at each level and I'm better . Might be the placebo effect for all I know .
I doubt that it is. My struggle is time but it might be worthwhile to add an extra day to the trip to stay at 6000 or so which is the closest decent town.

I'm in similar situation living at about 700'.
I always drive out west on hunts and take my time. You are gradually going uphill the entire trip west, spend first night somewhere mid way at a couple thousand feet, then next night pretty near your destination at 5-6000' or greater, then one more night at or near the hunting location before getting into anything strenuous. No booze and about double the water you would normally drink. If you're not peeing regular and peeing clear, you're not drinking enough, min. 1/2 oz water for every pound of body weight daily, more is better.

Easing into it slow like that and continuing to drink lots of water has worked for me. By second or third day at altitude, I'm ready for some big boy drinks and feel pretty normal.

Flying straight to a high altitude destination with no time to acclimate is a good way to get pretty sick. Watched a buddy go through this and we had to get him back down to lower elevation.
Are you saying 1/2 oz of water additional to normal requirements per pound of body weight? Im sure I drink more than that already at current elevation.

Your body lets you know when you are hydrated at altitude. You will need to urinate ever 20 minutes with the urine nearly clear. I hydrate all day then cut back so can sleep a bit overnight but keep a gallon ziploc in my sleeping bag so can take a whiz without having to deal with dressing, getting cold, undressing, then crawling back into the sleeping bag.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back