Unexpected Arizona Early 12AW hunt.

Congrats! What a great start to the hunt. Looks like you guys are up in the higher country. Does it seem like most of the deer are still high or have some started to migrate to lower areas?

Mafe it in and got mostly set up, but my luck is holding true. DEF system popped a fault and had to take it to Cedar city Utah to get fixed. 3 miles till it would have shut us down was all that was left when we pulled into the dealer.

IHOP is probably better than my cooking though
I did this same hunt in 2014 and had the same issue. I think I had 5 miles to shut down when I got there. They fixed in a couple of hours and was on my way back.

The father in-law got his first deer! Actually his first big game animal ever. It's a forty, but he's in his late 60s and a little mobility impared and that was the one that gave him the broad side shot. All of the hours at the range, trigger exercises and where you want to put the shot paid off big time another great shot and a deer that didn't go 50 feet.
20231031_174531.jpg
He was extatic and I couldn't have been happier for him.

I'm the only one left with a tag, and honestly don't know if I will fill it. Two deer is a lot of meat in the freezer and I am content. We are going to hunt another day or two and we'll see. I've already gotten everything I wanted.

I have a Nov 10 muzz tag on the east side. After you get yours, to scare the big ones that way.
We've had a good cold spell, but it's warming back up. The bigger bucks are still at the higher elevations and We've been near aspen stands for all of the bigger bucks. Best of luck! I can honestly say this has been a heck of a hunt for me and my family.

Well this brings this hunt to a close. I did not fill my tag, but have no regrets. This hunt was everything I hoped for. My wife, son, and father in-law tagged out and that was all I truly wanted. It has been an incredible adventure with some stumbling blocks early, but it all worked out.

Thank you all for reading my poor writing and for all of the well wishes. I hope you all have success this year.

Next month we will be trying to get my son and father in-law cow elk in unit 9.

In the morning we have to figure out how to get all this crap back in the trucks.

Some closing thoughts and a photo of the almost finished euro mounts.

This was the first time using all copper bullets for this trip, .30-06 150g Barnes TTS-X. I'm sold. Incredible performance on all three shots. Every deer was visible from the point of impact.

Snap caps are a great training tool. I used snap caps for everyone to practice dry firing their rifles everyday while on the hunt. It killed the flinch and reinforced good trigger squeeze. All 3 shots were excellent.

Road hunters suck, but for some of the older hunters we saw I get it. Saw some good people turning around where we had parked at the entrance of a two track that isn't on the MVUM, but there were plenty who did not and even passed us on the trail as we hiked in. Public land hunting can be really frustrating and make you use all the bad words you know, but until we win the next billion dollar lottery it's what we got.

20231110_160507.jpg

Side note: My home is Yuma AZ, and is there anybody left in Idaho? Seriously. I saw more Idaho plates at the grocery store today than AZ plates.

Some closing thoughts and a photo of the almost finished euro mounts.

This was the first time using all copper bullets for this trip, .30-06 150g Barnes TTS-X. I'm sold. Incredible performance on all three shots. Every deer was visible from the point of impact.

Snap caps are a great training tool. I used snap caps for everyone to practice dry firing their rifles everyday while on the hunt. It killed the flinch and reinforced good trigger squeeze. All 3 shots were excellent.

Road hunters suck, but for some of the older hunters we saw I get it. Saw some good people turning around where we had parked at the entrance of a two track that isn't on the MVUM, but there were plenty who did not and even passed us on the trail as we hiked in. Public land hunting can be really frustrating and make you use all the bad words you know, but until we win the next billion dollar lottery it's what we got.

View attachment 301224

Side note: My home is Yuma AZ, and is there anybody left in Idaho? Seriously. I saw more Idaho plates at the grocery store today than AZ plates.
I was stationed in yuma for a year as a combat marksmanship instructor... yuck. That place was HOT! Always full of the snow birds.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back