Solo DIY public lands backcountry archery elk hunt success!

royalaxation

Went out for my *FIRST* archery season this year and took two horses -- it was also my first horse packing trip -- up into Utah's High Uintas Wilderness. I've hunted the same area the past three years. This year, I had to go deep, 14 miles into the backcountry, to find the animals.

After three days in the field w/out any sign of them, I blew a bugle and got two responses. I formulated a plan to work the wind, took off my shoes, backpack and binos, and approached from upwind. I blew a cow call from about 100 yards out, then ran to close the distance. I couldn't have put myself in a better situation. There were shooting alleys and cover in every direction, and the wind tacked perfectly for me. I pulled up at what I guessed was about 50 yards and this 5x6 bull came running in. He presented a perfect broadside shot and I drew instinctively and let fly, striking him a little farther back than I would have liked, but it was undoubtedly a killing shot. I raced to notch another arrow as he wheeled around and bolted in the direction he'd come in. I took aim again and released another arrow as he ran through an open shooting alley. When I found the bull, I discovered that I *had* hit him twice: my second arrow struck him in his right rear knee. I was SO STOKED! Can't wait for archery season next year.

12019768_10153554551190821_4913960374366966725_n.jpg

Good for you. sweet.

Thanks for taking us along.....

Wow, solo with horses 14 miles back....that sounds like a pretty hardcore trip. Glad it worked out!

A dream hunt for many on this forum I'm sure, myself included...and you got to live it out. Sounds like an awesome adventure, congratulations!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back