Solo DIY public lands backcountry archery elk hunt success!

royalaxation

Went out for my *FIRST* archery season this year and took two horses -- it was also my first horse packing trip -- up into Utah's High Uintas Wilderness. I've hunted the same area the past three years. This year, I had to go deep, 14 miles into the backcountry, to find the animals.

After three days in the field w/out any sign of them, I blew a bugle and got two responses. I formulated a plan to work the wind, took off my shoes, backpack and binos, and approached from upwind. I blew a cow call from about 100 yards out, then ran to close the distance. I couldn't have put myself in a better situation. There were shooting alleys and cover in every direction, and the wind tacked perfectly for me. I pulled up at what I guessed was about 50 yards and this 5x6 bull came running in. He presented a perfect broadside shot and I drew instinctively and let fly, striking him a little farther back than I would have liked, but it was undoubtedly a killing shot. I raced to notch another arrow as he wheeled around and bolted in the direction he'd come in. I took aim again and released another arrow as he ran through an open shooting alley. When I found the bull, I discovered that I *had* hit him twice: my second arrow struck him in his right rear knee. I was SO STOKED! Can't wait for archery season next year.

12019768_10153554551190821_4913960374366966725_n.jpg

Good for you. sweet.

Thanks for taking us along.....

Wow, solo with horses 14 miles back....that sounds like a pretty hardcore trip. Glad it worked out!

A dream hunt for many on this forum I'm sure, myself included...and you got to live it out. Sounds like an awesome adventure, congratulations!

Back