Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Socks?

Summitthunting

Just bought a pair of Kenetreck Mtn. Extremes 400's and saw that they recommend wearing a liner sock and a wool blend boot sock over that. What do you guys wear for hunting/hiking socks? I don't need a lot for warmth, just wondering if I should try the two sock system.

I have never really been a fan of wool socks until I tried the Smartwool socks (also merino wool I believe). About 12.00 a shot but well worth it. I always just wore cotton. Man, what a difference these make!

I wear a REI brand polypro silkweight liner sock under a Light or Hiker weight wool sock, either REI brand or Smartwool. Until going with the liner sock, I got hot spots on long hikes in my Ktreks. Similarly, the insole, IMO, of the Ktreks sucks. I like the SOLE modable insoles better, which Ktrek does sell.

Another for Smartwool. I bought some Cabela's brand and Redhead brand (Bass Pro Shop) made by Smartwool and they have been working, some for over ten years. When I wash them, I let them line dry. Drying them in a dryer will make them shrink a little over time and get a little stiff. Both have a lifetime warranty. These socks have enough loft in the foot bed to conform to the voids between your feet and boots making wearing boots extremely comfortable. I also am not a big fan of the two sock system.

I've gone through a few different pairs of socks on my Kennetrek Mountain boots trying to find one that would work well...with no hot spots. I don't think that's really totally possible. I think there are really three big factors with those boots to make your life a little less miserable.

1. Break them in...wear them as much as you can (before hunting season)
2. Upgrade the insole
3. Socks

I've had them almost a year now, and they are finally starting to actually be really comfortable. I've also upgraded the insoles to he Sole brand, blue colored ones. I also started wearing sock liners, and some socks called darn tough http://darntough.com/hunt-fish-1461.html My feet are actually starting to be my friends. In wearing them all the time though too you are toughening up your heals that way too.

That's what I've found out so far though in my first year of having them. I also took my 400 gram back and got the non-insulated ones. I wore them chukar hunting...and my feet were on fire. If you want 400 gram, just upgrade your sock.

Back