Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hot Feet! On The Hunt For New Boots

Hams42

Well I think it's time for new boots. I'm currently prepping for sheep hunting this fall and went on about a 7 mile shed hunt today. The Kenetrek mountain extremes that I've been running for about 3.5 years just aren't cutting it. I have not liked these boots since I got them. After today though I will be on the hunt for some new ones to break in before September.
So here are the problems that I have and the problems I have with the boots.

I have very hot feet. It can be 40 degrees and my feet will still be sweating. I have a foot that's in between being normal and wide. I do run Sheep Feet so my insoles are thicker than stock insoles. I also have ankles that are prone to spraining and rolling so I need good ankle support.

Kenetrek problems: after about 45 minutes of walking these boots turn into a swamp they do not breath at all. Soaking socks turn into blistered feet. (I have tried a vast array of socks and liners) I went to Kenetrek's store to get these boots. They measured my feet and put me in one size larger than what I measured. With going up in size the toe box still seems to small and my pinky toes are smashed into the sides of the boot along with the fold of the tongue pressing against the top of my big toe(had that problem today but have never had the issue before).
I am not impressed with the performance of the rubber either. I never seem to have traction regardless of temperature but they are especially bad when its cold and on snow and ice. I can not seem to get my heel locked in without cutting off circulation or bruising the top of my feet.

I may be asking a lot but I want a mountain boot that is comfortable, doesn't let moisture in but lets heat out, and that is sturdy enough to keep my weak ankles from spraining.

Thanks for the help all!

I’m a fan of my schnees beartooth 2s. Not sure about the heat factor but I wear the uninsulated ones and have worn them for September antelope hunts and November hunts

As with most most boot posts, it really doesn't matter what people say. I can recommend you an epic boot but if it doesn't fit your feet then it isn't gonna work. Most brands build different lines for different uses and insulation ranges. So with that in mind I would find a boot brand that fits your foot width needs first. Once you have that down, then whether it is Danner, Crispi, Kennetrek, Hanwag, Schnee's etc...You can look at stiffness and insulation ratings.

Unfortunately a lot of higher end boot brands dont sell in stores, online only. I would do your best research on how they handle the width of your boots. Then make an educated decision. Then I would either wear them around the house non stop or preferably a treadmill or stair master at a gym so you can try them out without wearing them outside or tearing up the soles in case you need to return them.

If your feet get too hot in uninsulated boots I’d probably try something leather with no waterproof membrane. Wax the leather and it should still keep a lot of water out. Lowa and La Sportiva make them, I’m sure others do too.

If your feet get too hot in uninsulated boots I’d probably try something leather with no waterproof membrane. Wax the leather and it should still keep a lot of water out. Lowa and La Sportiva make them, I’m sure others do too.
X-2

I’m a fan of my schnees beartooth 2s. Not sure about the heat factor but I wear the uninsulated ones and have worn them for September antelope hunts and November hunts
Second this 100%. I love the Beartooths. My husband also has the Timberlines and wears them through the summer; not sure on the heat factor. The Kestrals are great too but may not offer the support you need. I highly recommend you give Schnees a try. They usually have some good sales around Memorial Day weekend.

As with most most boot posts, it really doesn't matter what people say. I can recommend you an epic boot but if it doesn't fit your feet then it isn't gonna work. Most brands build different lines for different uses and insulation ranges. So with that in mind I would find a boot brand that fits your foot width needs first. Once you have that down, then whether it is Danner, Crispi, Kennetrek, Hanwag, Schnee's etc...You can look at stiffness and insulation ratings.

Unfortunately a lot of higher end boot brands dont sell in stores, online only. I would do your best research on how they handle the width of your boots. Then make an educated decision. Then I would either wear them around the house non stop or preferably a treadmill or stair master at a gym so you can try them out without wearing them outside or tearing up the soles in case you need to return them.
I totally understand this. Like you said seems that most of the boot manufactures are only online which is a real shame. One of my least favorite things to do is buy footwear online.

I think what I was trying to find was someone who has a similar situation in hopes that they already found the boot that keeps your foot dry from the outside as well as the inside.

From some of the research that I did last night I may make my way over to my local Scheels and try the Crispi Colorado's. They seem like they are a stiff enough boot for a sheep hunt but also breath well. Hears to hoping that they are comfortable.

Schnee's is in Bozeman take a day trip over and try some boots on. They had a sale going on recently I'm not sure if it's still going on.

What you describe is how my feet feel in a gortex boot. The full rubber rand also contributed to sweat. Try a leather lined boot like mentioned above.

Well I think it's time for new boots. I'm currently prepping for sheep hunting this fall and went on about a 7 mile shed hunt today. The Kenetrek mountain extremes that I've been running for about 3.5 years just aren't cutting it. I have not liked these boots since I got them. After today though I will be on the hunt for some new ones to break in before September.
So here are the problems that I have and the problems I have with the boots.

I have very hot feet. It can be 40 degrees and my feet will still be sweating. I have a foot that's in between being normal and wide. I do run Sheep Feet so my insoles are thicker than stock insoles. I also have ankles that are prone to spraining and rolling so I need good ankle support.

Kenetrek problems: after about 45 minutes of walking these boots turn into a swamp they do not breath at all. Soaking socks turn into blistered feet. (I have tried a vast array of socks and liners) I went to Kenetrek's store to get these boots. They measured my feet and put me in one size larger than what I measured. With going up in size the toe box still seems to small and my pinky toes are smashed into the sides of the boot along with the fold of the tongue pressing against the top of my big toe(had that problem today but have never had the issue before).
I am not impressed with the performance of the rubber either. I never seem to have traction regardless of temperature but they are especially bad when its cold and on snow and ice. I can not seem to get my heel locked in without cutting off circulation or bruising the top of my feet.

I may be asking a lot but I want a mountain boot that is comfortable, doesn't let moisture in but lets heat out, and that is sturdy enough to keep my weak ankles from spraining.

Thanks for the help all!
Meindl comfort fit line of boots - cork insoles - absorbs sweaty feet.

Have a look at the German boots like Lowa, Hanwag, and Meindle. They all have a wider toe box. I'm similar to you in having an in-between foot width and size. My feet sweat like crazy too, I have yet to find a waterproof boot that doesn't make them sweat bad. Good merino wool socks is the only thing that has helped me. Lowa makes a sheep hunter boot I recommend looking at, I had a pair I bought used and I gave them to my dad, they were one size too small. They were crazy stiff and very comfortable. They might only come insulated though. Meindle have been my favorite boots so far. My lowa Tibet boots were good, but the midsoles are cracking with low miles on them. I've always wanted to try hanwags but have never had the chance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back