So, how is the retirement gig?

Congratulations, Buzz. I'd tell you to enjoy it, but you just will. I'm probably 2-3 years out myself on the heavy lifting work phase, then I'm imagining just working in a fly shop for a few years before I peace out.

Thanks for doing the work most of us all theorize about (at length).
 
@BuzzH , Congratulations on your retirement and thank you for your public service.


Congrats Buzz. Losing the vast experience of us old guys is a blow to many employers. The FS is losing a lot.
I concur with the others. Stay busy. I doubt you will have a problem with that. ;)
The institutional knowledge lost from our public conservation agencies in the last 20 years is phenomenal. Before his retirement, my previous boss tried to pass as much of it as possible but I still find myself reaching out to him and other retirees because it is just easier to call and ask them rather rummage through a file cabinet because the work they did 30 years ago is not digitalized.

I'm gonna get a part time gig at Scheels and sell Creedmoors and PRC's with Vortex scopes to everyone. And spiral fluted barrels. And a box of match bullet ammo. Gonna be great. mtmuley
When you wear out your Attack pants please consider cutting the legs off of them to wear as shorts to your part time gig. It gets hot in those stores.
 
Congratulations! Hoping you have many healthy years enjoying the fruits of your labor! It’s post like this that make me realize the money burning a hole in my pocket should stay there so I can retire as soon as possible. Although I love Scheels AND crreedmore’s so the two are in constant conflict ;)
 
Fair question.


As to the year...tough one. My original plan was to retire at 60. Then came trump2.0 and his south african side kick. I was in the perfect place to take the DRP, and I really wanted to take it.

However, with the clown show of the new administration, I saw Union Membership sky rocket. The local that I was President of the past decade, saw astronomical growth. So, high we were given an award by NFFE.

I knew I had to stay a couple more years at that point. I was being entrusted to help a workforce and represent them best I could through a blatant and illegal attack on the Federal workforce.

Along with my day job, i did a lot of work trying my best to help coworkers navigate the lowest points in many of their careers. Undoubtedly the toughest 2 years for me personally at my Union role. Lots of long phone calls with anxious coworkers, most of them after tough days in the field.

The Union has been successful in thwarting a bunch of this administration's bullshit.

So wirh everything in good order at work...and the offer of VSIP/VERA, the table was set for me.

Been financially set for 5 years...my one recommendation here: PAY YOURSELF FIRST.

When you prepare correctly, the timing becomes a bit easier.
You are a better public servant than me.

I loved my Federal job, but the clown show was just too much for me to continue. In April of 2025, when DOGE offered me DRP/VERA with 5 days to make a decision, I decided to leave the shit show. They incentivized me by paying me out for the remaining 8.5 months of 2025. I even tried to stay on through the remainder of April to button up my sage-grouse work, but they said "no way". Government efficiency. 🤡 I was pretty stressed for the first month on how my ongoing and planned projects would move forward, but after a month or so, I just started enjoying a long string of Saturdays.

I picked up my Four Wheel Camper February 18 of this year and last night was #154 on the road. I will shoot elk pics for another couple of days and then the pup and I are off to chase roosters for a week....maybe a couple.:p I do need to stop by the house on Friday to pick up my Starlink delivery and then back on the road....and yes, I see the hypocrisy. 🤬

Again, congratulations and enjoy your retirement...I know that you will take full advantage of it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
120,147
Messages
2,251,300
Members
39,102
Latest member
VioletCrown
Back
Top