Snow skiing vs water skiing

I was pre go pro wllm. Way pre go pro.
Bota bag emboldened I stood at Al’s precipice a finely tuned 20 year old athlete with the requisite Texas beginners tack. 150cm stubbies with bindings that would release with a sneeze. Skin tight starched & scotch guarded wranglers that designated religious preference. After cross tipping and wheelie popping to the bottom I was a whimpering snotted frozen faced mortal waiting on the good Samaritan’s to bring all my untethered detritus down to me.

I learned the term "yard sale" by watching Keystone backside skiers coming down the icy blue trail thinking they owned the world until they hit the sunkissed ice benches. Gloves, skis, poles, beanies (before the safety craze and helmets), and maybe even various body parts were strewn all over the next 200 vertical yards. The more thoughtful skiers tried not to laugh from the lift, but sometimes the America's Funniest Video quality pratfalls cried out for guffaws.

Thank you for all the advice!
Based on what I’m seeing here I think I’m gonna go with my original plan of dicking around on the ski’s for a couple minutes in the rental place parking lot then saying f-it... gods plan and just going for it.
Just kidding.
If this dream comes to fruition I think I’m gonna try to hit the half day lesson and go from there.
@noharleyyet sorry for psh bruhing you. I thought you were going locals only on me for a second.

This would be awesome but I bet it’ll be some dude named Chad.
Yeah Chad sucks...

also you’re gonna need to master the lingo so you can crush the apres game... that actually probably more important than a lesson with regard to your goals...

Your day was epic

you shredded pow

If snowed a bunch it... it was just blower conditions and you were getting constant face shots

If it did not snow you were crushing bumps on Al’s or were looking for a big booter to huck your carcass off of...

Jokes should be made at the expense of Texans, unless said person if clearly from Texas. Leave the folks from the Midwest alone they are great... TJ and Dexter are hero’s...

Yeah Chad sucks...

also you’re gonna need to master the lingo so you can crush the apres game... that actually probably more important than a lesson with regard to your goals...

Your day was epic

you shredded pow

If snowed a bunch it... it was just blower conditions and you were getting constant face shots

If it did not snow you were crushing bumps on Al’s or were looking for a big booter to huck your carcass off of...

Jokes should be made at the expense of Texans, unless said person if clearly from Texas. Leave the folks from the Midwest alone they are great... TJ and Dexter are hero’s...
Finally! Somebody willing to share some pertinent information!
What about “bomber”? Is this a western action sports term? How do I use it in a sentence?

Seriously, thank you for the aspen extreme link. I’m def watching it tonight. It looks likes it’s almost as good as vision quest.
Louden swain was the original Cam Hanes. All the guy knew how to do was hammer.

Finally! Somebody willing to share some pertinent information!
What about “bomber”? Is this a western action sports term? How do I use it in a sentence?

Seriously, thank you for the aspen extreme link. I’m def watching it tonight. It looks likes it’s almost as good as vision quest.
Louden swain was the original Cam Hanes. All the guy knew how to do was hammer.

Bomber
Abbreviation of "bomb-proof". Bro check out my me bed liner, shit is bomber.

You must have missed this one ;)

@DouglasR required homework along with Hotdog... good luck on your twisting triple

noharleyyet and willm1313

in reference to your posts

you two fellows would have loved Aspen in the mid to late 60's. I remember two young women coming down the slope wearing only bunny ears and a cottontail, and then a couple guys were not to be outdone, but the cold wind had total different effects, what was a positive for one gender, did not work so well for the other. Even the Supremes were there before Ross left them. AAAAggghhh "yesterday, when I was young, the taste of life was sweet so sweet upon my tongue"

Chad you say....

noharleyyet and willm1313

in reference to your posts

you two fellows would have loved Aspen in the mid to late 60's. I remember two young women coming down the slope wearing only bunny ears and a cottontail, and then a couple guys were not to be outdone, but the cold wind had total different effects, what was a positive for one gender, did not work so well for the other. Even the Supremes were there before Ross left them. AAAAggghhh "yesterday, when I was young, the taste of life was sweet so sweet upon my tongue"

You must be referring to the Costanza shrinkage rule.....; )

I've only ski'ed North and South lake Tahoe,then went to Snowbowl in Az. and on my first run
turned my left foot around till' it was pointing backwards.Spent the whole day in the lodge at the
pub drinking painkillers.When it came time to head home my knee wouldn't bend so my brothers
carried me to the truck where I proceded to drink painkillers all the way home.Rough day on
the slopes.:LOL:🔥

That is an under statement ;)

Although I think 72-74' were the real golden years of skiing... 02'-06' were pretty great as well.

maybe---but the 60's were interesting. Big Sur, Woodstock, Aspen, Mammas and Pappas "All the leaves are brown and the sky's are grey" My husband had a crush on Michelle, Cass, not so much (-;

noharleuyet, you know that rule ? (-;

Harley, is that you and willim is that last video ? if so you boys are looking fit !

dirt clod, well that was not a fun day.

OP : IMHO, you will enjoy skiing much more if you take a lesson, preferably a private lesson rather than a group lesson.

Europe, that's a couple of times you've mentioned Woodstock. Did you go?
I can't waterski and can't help but think I would just crash and burn on snow.

Snow skiing is fun. Really fun.
Taos was awesome. I ended up taking a full day group lesson. I’d def recommend taking one to any other 1st timers thinking about giving it a try.
The whole experience is kinda intimidating if you’ve never done it before and having an instructor show you around makes it much less terrifying. After 18hrs of driving and 36hrs of being awake I pulled into the parking lot of the resort to do a “scouting trip” and had a mild panic attack looking up als run. Luckily a couple forum members talked me off the ledge with some solid DBAFP advice so I got some rest and checked into the lesson bright and early the next day.
I got through the lesson ok and messed around on the beginners runs for about an hour that afternoon. Got there bright and early the next day, did a couple warm up runs then jumped on the big lift and headed up the mountain.
I’m not saying it was pretty but I was getting down the blues by the end of the day.
As far as water vs snow skiing I’m definitely saying the ability to water ski helps, but they’re much different. If you get out of control on water you can just let go of the rope and go down. If you get out of control on snow you can literally shoot off the side of a mountain and die 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’d also recommend going during a less busy time of the year for any other 1st timers. It’s way harder going down the slopes when you’re trying to avoid cutting people off or hit sticking some 8 year old.

I rode this one 4 times without falling down for @noharleyyet. Isn’t he a texacan? 7CF29143-3E4A-49A8-AF79-294FE6B36BA4.jpeg
Ps. Skiing is so much fun that I think I’m just gonna backpack a couple days in Arizona, save my tag money and spend it on a lift ticket on my way back home.
Happy New Years everyone!

Snow skiing is fun. Really fun.
Taos was awesome. I ended up taking a full day group lesson. I’d def recommend taking one to any other 1st timers thinking about giving it a try.
The whole experience is kinda intimidating if you’ve never done it before and having an instructor show you around makes it much less terrifying. After 18hrs of driving and 36hrs of being awake I pulled into the parking lot of the resort to do a “scouting trip” and had a mild panic attack looking up als run. Luckily a couple forum members talked me off the ledge with some solid DBAFP advice so I got some rest and checked into the lesson bright and early the next day.
I got through the lesson ok and messed around on the beginners runs for about an hour that afternoon. Got there bright and early the next day, did a couple warm up runs then jumped on the big lift and headed up the mountain.
I’m not saying it was pretty but I was getting down the blues by the end of the day.
As far as water vs snow skiing I’m definitely saying the ability to water ski helps, but they’re much different. If you get out of control on water you can just let go of the rope and go down. If you get out of control on snow you can literally shoot off the side of a mountain and die 🤷🏼‍♂️
I’d also recommend going during a less busy time of the year for any other 1st timers. It’s way harder going down the slopes when you’re trying to avoid cutting people off or hit sticking some 8 year old.

I rode this one 4 times without falling down for @noharleyyet. Isn’t he a texacan? View attachment 124208
Ps. Skiing is so much fun that I think I’m just gonna backpack a couple days in Arizona, save my tag money and spend it on a lift ticket on my way back home.
Happy New Years everyone!
1577914535581.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back