Caribou Gear

Small Game/Varmint Caliber Preference

Selkirk

My wife said I can buy a new gun. :hump:

Know I'm posting a general question and likely will get responses as such, but I trust the opinions of people that frequent this forum.

Currently I do not own a smaller caliber to grab and go dust some small critters up to coyotes or even possibly a wolf outside of our general big game hunting season. I'm not on the prarie so not really into shooting super long ranges, but want some flexibility on ridge tops, open faces, clear cuts, etc. I'm looking for something that's practical, but possible with some carryover appeal. This will be for me, but my oldest son is 5 (kindergarten) and doubt he'll be ready to shoot any one of these for a few more years, but kind of also want to keep that in mind. However, that would be another opportunity to get him (us) a .22 or .17.

Would like to hear some preferences and opinions on a suitable small game/varmint caliber. Since I'm into learning, tell me why and feel free to provide a make/model. I do know cartridges and loads will be a factor and I do not reload. I'm also not going to be putting hundreds of rounds through this rifle each year either. Value is also a consideration.

These are the primary calibers I'm thinking, but am open to others.
.22-250
.25-06

Thanks!

I have a 22-250 and really like it.

After reading about the .223 AI and seeing the results/velocities a friend of mine gets with his, I'd probably go that route. Near 22-250 velocity, cheap to shoot/load for.

If you want a bit more versitility, the .243 is a good bet as most all states allow the hunting of big-game with them, yet small enough, with light enough recoil, to still be used as a varmint rifle.

I think anything larger than a .243 is really pushing the "varmint" intention, IMO.

I found myself in your shoes about 10 years ago and wanted a sporter weight varmint gun. I ended up with a Ruger M77 .204 ultra light w/ a 20" barrel. Its a real kick in the pants to shoot, fairly accurate, and weighs next to nothing. If I were you I would maybe look at a 22" barrel chambered in a 223. Cheap ammo and fun to shoot with a decent bullet selection.

I like the products Savage has been producing along with the available aftermarket parts and the ability of the do-it-yourself gunsmithing. Howa has good accurate rifles for a reasonable price also.

.223 is the economics play, you can shoot it all day long for cheap.

22-250 is just a killer varmint round, more expensive to shoot than the 223, but better ballistics, though if you don't reload it may not be worth it.

.243 is a great all around play, you can shoot varmits, lope, yotes, deer and even an elk. Very versatile but again that comes with a bit more cost to shoot.

25-06 is just a sweet round, but wouldn't be in my varmint battery if I was building one.

If you want a bit more versitility, the .243 is a good bet as most all states allow the hunting of big-game with them, yet small enough, with light enough recoil, to still be used as a varmint rifle.

And, if you decide you don't like it, it will make a great first deer rifle for your five-year-old.

From a value perspective. A .223 would be a smart choice. It will be the least expensive and most available ammo of the choices provided. If you look at Tikka. They import a few .223's with 1 in 8" twist barrels. Both in the sporter and the varmint barrels, last I checked. The 1-8" would allow you to shoot slugs from 50-55gr on the low side up to the 75-77gr on the high side. I believe Savage also has a few varmint .223's with 1-9" twists. Should stabilize up to 69-70gr slugs passably well. Lighter slugs will be faster and more dramatic on impact, but the .223 is going to be more versatile than any other .22cal centerfire option.

To give some perspective on Ammo costs. .223 ammo, Expanding slugs, in new brass cases can be found for $0.45-0.55/shot a bit better if its on sale. Cheap .22-250 Ammo is about $0.85-1.00/shot, .243 is $0.95-1.25/shot, and .25-06 starts around $1.05-1.25/shot. You can get a .223 that is a bit better quality and make up the cost difference in ammo.

Downsides to .223... Ammo is hard to come by right now. Should continue to open up over the next few months. And, yes, its a bit lower velocity and hits on varmints may not be as "dramatic" as with a faster slug. Especially on prairie dogs. That being said... its still great fun.

I have a 22-250 and really like it.

After reading about the .223 AI and seeing the results/velocities a friend of mine gets with his, I'd probably go that route. Near 22-250 velocity, cheap to shoot/load for.

I think anything larger than a .243 is really pushing the "varmint" intention, IMO.

Agreed...but still have the 25-06 AI bug.

My AR in 5.56 w/ a 16" 1 in 7 barrel does a pretty good job. I have Several optics in QR mounts and usually use a 3-9x 40 for coyotes. I have a pretty good stash of Black Hills 77 gr match hp that the rifle likes and punches small holes straight through most of the time. A good AR is a pretty versatile rifle and is easy to walk w/ all day. I love to hunt coyotes. Have fun.

mike r

You really can't go wrong with any of the mentioned cartridges. I own at least one of each cal mentioned and my favorite is the 204 and a close second is the 223 rem. Both solid 400 yard guns. Once upon a time I took down a nice six point bull elk with one shot with a 223 so don't under estimate its potential.

I have a Savage Weather Warrior (model 16) in .223 and I've always been very impressed with its accuracy. The Weather Warrior is a synthetic stock and stainless steel, available in .204 .223 .22-250 and .243, all of which would be a great option. If there ever is a return to 'normal' on ammo availability the .223 would be a good choice for an inexpensive gun to shoot, as mentioned by others the .243 is a good varmint rifle that could also double as your son's first hunting rifle, so I'd recommend one of these two calibers. As a side note, everyone needs a rimfire rifle too, a .22lr or a .17HMR, just for plinking and the small critters.

I have a 22-250 Savage and have worked up a load that it just loves to eat. We light up the prairie dogs with it. But, if you aren't into reloading and are planning on putting some serious rounds through it, the 223 definitely gives you the value and is still a great caliber. Good luck with your happy dilemma.

I'd get a bolt action in your favorite make/model. It'd be either .223 (or possibly AI if you load your own) or 22-250. I would get what ever chambering had a 1-9" twist or faster barrel, but would probably lean toward the 223.

Not knowing what you have in your collection, but you might consider semi-customizing one you already have! If you have something based on the 308 already that you don't use much, you could easily have it turned into a killer 22-250!

Thanks to those who have posted and shared their thoughts. I'll likely go with a .223 and am unsure what make/model. I do tend to try new things even when I've found something I like. My two primary hunting rifles are a Browning A-bolt (.325 wsm) and a Savage (.270). I bought that Savage 23 years ago when I was 14 and it's been well used/abused, yet is extremely comfortable and accurate to shoot. I always had the greatest confidence with that rifle. Anyway, I'll do some more research and will let you all know what I decide, but feel free to keep chiming in.

I'm thankful for this good dilemma.

Have to ask, have any of you put a different stock (thumbhole) on your setups? I have never shot a rifle with a thumbhole stock, but they feel so good and locked in. Thoughts?

I wanted to put a new stock on my Ruger .270, my son had just recently put a new stock on his Savage .204, he's a little flashier than me so I went with a little more natural wood look. I do like the way the thumbhole stock feels. Buying a new guy just makes a guy smile!

Attachments

• IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 268
My predator rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard in .204 Ruger. I went shopping for a .22-250, but found my .204 in the used rack. It's a heavy barrel, and was already topped with a Leupold 6.5-20 VX-iii scope.

It's fun to shoot, and has no problem killing coyotes.

I'm sure it's capable of killing a wolf, but probably not the rifle I'd choose to specifically hunt wolves.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back