sleeping bag

tom338

I have a really good sleeping bag, but its heavy. In search of a lightweight sleeping bag that will keep a guy warm without a stove and does not weigh a guy down. Suggestions?? Found a spike tent I like and need to add a light weight sleeping bag. Forgot I don't like the ones that taper down and don't have any room for you feet!!!

Last edited:
What is your budget and what temperature rating are you at? I have my eyes in a Kelty Tuck 30, looking around they are in the 2 1/2 pound range and 80 ish dollars. I have a decent bag now, but it is bulky and weighs in af 7-8 lbs. Plus it is more of a 50 degree bag.

What temperature range? More details?

There are options for just about every condition, size, weight or budget in the backpacking industry.

Ok, this year will be used from Sept 15th to Oct 1st. Next year maybe later in the year. Doing 2 trips a year, maybe 3 with a deer trip in the works. Montana and Wyoming. Elevations up to 9000 feet. So weather could be all over from cold and snow to 50-60

I don't know of any good bags that don't taper down. It saves a lot of weight.
Are you a warm sleaper? = kelty down cosmic 20° is a great buy at $150
Cold sleeper? = marmot helium 15° a great bag for the price at $390
Fully clothed with puffy coat you can take the marmot down to 0° imho
Almost as important is a good warm pad.

I'm a big fan of Big Agnes sleeping bags. I'm a restless sleeper and the sleeping pad sleeve keeps my big butt from rolling off the pad in the middle of the night. I prefer the Classic series which is a bit of a tweener. Not really a mummy design and not really a rectangle.

I'm a Marmot & Kelty bag guy.
Down & tapered bags are the only efficient light ones I know. Guess I'm luck I never fell off my Thermarest Prolite.....lol.

Saw they are making Western Hunter bags again. Big rectangular warm bags,but heavy.

Ok, this year will be used from Sept 15th to Oct 1st. Next year maybe later in the year. Doing 2 trips a year, maybe 3 with a deer trip in the works. Montana and Wyoming. Elevations up to 9000 feet. So weather could be all over from cold and snow to 50-60

This really didnt answer the question.

WHat is the rating of your current bag? Does it work for you right now or do you think you need a warmer bag? There are tons of sleeping bags out there that will fit your need. You just need to narrow it down if you're looking for advice. If you live near a REI or similar store you can usually open up a bag and try it on for size and comfort.

Frankly I would stay with synthetic. Iti will be slightly heavier and bulkier, but the shortcomings stop there. I still have an REI 20 degree down bag that I love, but after 10 years or more its not really a 20 degree bag anymore and I will be looking into synthetics.

Another good option for extending the temp range of your bag is getting a fleece bag liner which can add an extra 10 degrees or so of insulation or you can get a down quilt to throw over the top. Also look into making sure you have a great sleeping pad that keeps you warm and off the ground.

Spike tent sleeping requires a sleep system. Once you figure out what you need to be warm and comfortable, its as good as sleeping anywhere else.

I prefer sleeping quilts with a insulated pad. More freedom to move, lighter. Compressed down doesn't make sense imho.

I'm in this camp, been using quilts for a couple years now, I don't really plan on going back to a bag.

Frankly I would stay with synthetic. Iti will be slightly heavier and bulkier, but the shortcomings stop there. I still have an REI 20 degree down bag that I love, but after 10 years or more its not really a 20 degree bag anymore and I will be looking into synthetics.

FYI down actually holds it's insulating ability for a longer period of time than higher end synthetics.

Synthetic Cons

Heavier and bulkier than down insulation
Offers less warmth for its weight than down
Less durable than down; insulating power gets reduced each time the bag is stuffed into a stuff sack
From
http://blog.rei.com/camp/down-vs-synthetic-which-insulation-is-right-for-you/

I've got a Marmot Helium that I love. It has more than enough room in it for me in the long/wide model. I'm 5'10 and 155 lbs so I definitely wouldn't have needed the larger size, but I like the space. When it's cold I shake the down into the top of the bag and when its warm, I shake it down to the bottom. I've taken it down to slightly below zero and have been very comfortable without base layers. You do need to be very careful not to get a down bag wet, though.

I would think the drafts in really cold temps would be a deal breaker?

Haven't had any issues yet, I've used it down below 20 degrees quite a few times. Mine has straps you can run under your sleeping pad to help keep the edges down. I also use a 'wide' version so I have a little extra material to help me out. It also has a zipper on the bottom 20" or so to help keep your feet warmer, still a lot more room than the foot-box on a typical mummy bag.

Quilts might not be for everyone, but for me, the savings in weight, smaller pack-ability and being able to move around a lot more than in a bag, make it worth it.

The one I'm using is a 10 degree model from Enlightened Equipment, it's a few years old at this point, I think they are even better now...treated down, extra material sewn into 'high wear' areas etc.

I used a Teton Sports XL zero degree bag last year. No not the lightest bag out there at 6.5 pounds, but it wasn't bad. I camped at 10,300 the second week of October in the Pecos Wilderness in New Mexico while chasing elk. No heater in tent and I was nice and cozy wearing just underwear and a stocking cap. I can't stand wearing anything more than undies to bed so I will sacrifice a little weight for a bag that will allow me to do that. My hunting partner on that trip had a very lightweight 10 degree bag and he had to sleep with all his clothes on and his down puffy vest to keep warm.

I have 2 down Marmot bags. My current is a Sawtooth 15 degree. I sleep in it like a quilt. I think Marmot is discontinuing the Sawtooth so I've seen them as low as $150 (after coupon) which is a pretty good deal in my book

If I were to do it again I'd drop the $ on an Enlightened Equipment quilt.

For light weight & compact size, you want a down bag. I use a North Face Blue Kazoo (maybe, I've had the bag for 25 years) down mummy bag in a long style, rated for 20 F. I have used it in CO at 8500 feet with temps in the teens and have survived. I'm 5' 11" and will not buy a long bag again as its just extra to carry. If you are going to pack it in, you want a mummy bag to save space and weight over a rectangular design bag.

For a tent, I just picked up a Big Agnes UL 2 tent on the Classifieds here and it weighs 2 # 4 ozs. Not sure there's much lighter out there. The tent is for just me with my pack and gear in it.

Remember, less costs more! :)

My Marmot Never Summer bag is a zero deg bag and I have been to -10 in it. Cost $120 on sale. It's my go to hunt season bag. Replaced a NF Blue Kazoo with it.
Kelty is a synthetic 15 deg bag for summer time.
Have a kit bag I made in 72' ,been down to -40 in MT.
...& about 3 others that are for back up/guests.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back