Yeti GOBOX Collection

sleeping bag

I just picked up a Mountain Hardware HyperLamina Spark. Rated to 32, its synthetic and it's only 1lb 12oz. Packs tiny as well

What pad do you use with your quilt? Also, do you take any special precautions when using a quilt in sub-freezing temperatures? I am intrigued by the idea of using a quilt, but believed, perhaps erroneously, that they were ill suited to sub-freezing temperatures. I am interested to know more about your experience with the quilt in cold temperatures.

I just got my Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10F in long/wide today. I got the 800FP treated down with some heavier 20D material for the foot and around the top. This thing is super nice. Very good build quality and super versatile for a wide range of temps. Fully snapped/zipped it's basically a hoodless mummy bag. Weight with a 10L OR dry sack is 29 oz. I have it paired with Neoair Xlite in long/wide, Jimmy Tarp Granite Mountain w/vestibule and a polycryo ground sheet (shrink window film). My whole system with stuff sacks etc weighs in at 3 lbs 13 oz. I'm new to the quilt thing but given how much I move around when I sleep I think it will be a good switch. I'll give it a real test next weekend on my annual traverse of the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

I'm with hunt4elk marmot never summer, bought it on sale at rei $120.

For spacious light weight bags in my price range I would look at Big Agnes or Marmot. They both tend to make more spacious lightweight bags than competitors without getting super expensive to save a few ounces. If you're able to spend more money to cut ounces, and get even more spacious, look at NEMO brand.

My go-to bag is so old I can't read the tag. I'm pretty sure it was a Marmot in the 40 degree range, and I'm pretty sure they don't make it any more. A few years ago I had the fortune of getting stuck in way colder temps than I expected. I could have bailed out and never found my first 4x4 muley the next morning, but I dug out the space blanket that I'd hauled around for years and stuck it out. I used that bag, a foam pad, and a space blanket over the top on an October night that got to -12 and only I only felt cold when I poked my head out. Ever since that experience I use space blankets all the time. They are such a cheap and light weight way to add warmth to your situation.

My coldest backpacking bag is a Klymit KSB 20. It does taper down, but the stretch design makes it feel roomier than a typical mummy. I can't stand regular mummy bags, but this one is tolerable. I haven't been in anything nasty with it, but its warm enough in a snow cave without a space blanket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back