Caribou Gear Tarp

Sleeping Bag Suggestions

blue devil

Any suggestions on a sleeping bag that is lightweight and would be a good bag for early archery elk in colorado? Something that would be comfortable for all temperature ranges, but don't want to freeze if it does get cold.

I bought The North Face® Furnace 0° Sleeping Bag for my son and it's been working well for him. They make two sizes long & regular; make sure to get the "long" version, the "regular" length can be too short. Watch for the bag to be on sale (at Cabela's, etc) for around $150 in a few months. We ended up purchasing a separate compression sack (size XL) for the bag because it was somewhat bulky and the sack that came with it didn't really compress. Keep the bag stored during the off season laid out inside a long garment bag for best results in extending the "loft life" (under a bed is a good place to hide it).

Check steep and cheap, they will have all kinds of bags for sale in that price range. Be patient and you may be able to get top quality stuff at half price.

A down 15 degree bag you can get for cheap at sierratradingpost.

Anything from Marmot, Big Agnes, or Mountain Hardwear. I love my Marmot Kenosha, and got it for half of retail (I think 150.00)

I got the Marmot Helium and love it. I've taken it down to 0 degrees without a liner and have been comfortable. If it's warmer I just shake the down to the bottom of the bag. It's one of my all-time favorite purchases.

I am with Schaaf, I also bought the enlightened equipment quilt. I like the fact that I am not pinned inside of it and can get a leg out when I get hot or fluff the covers to let in some air. If it's cold I can wrap it around my pad half way up and I have an enclosed bag also. Do yourself a favor and call them and ask questions and have them explain their systems. I did this a few years ago and am glad I did. Super light weight for backpacking in and staying in a long ways from the trailhead.
http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

I went with a Marmot Helium last year when I was upgraded equipment (i.e. shaving ounces) for a Dall sheep hunt. It's a great bag but if you're a restless sleeper or like to move your legs a fair amount it may be a bit snug.

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends make some awesome bags if money is not a consideration.

I need to look into the Enlightened Equipment quilts more. A buddy suggested them to me last year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back