Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

single shot rifle?

DAVIDKERR

what do you guys think about buying a single shot rifle for elk hunting?i seem to always be in to big of a hurry to shoot and a single shot hi-power might just slow me down enough not to miss... thanks

I have a T/C Pro Hunter .50 cal. that I swapped out the muzzleloader barrel for a .300 mag for my elk hunt. Easy to carry, accurate, and a lot cheaper to buy another barrel than an entire rifle. Can't tell you about the 2nd shot after a miss. I never got the chance for that 1st one...

A good first shot it important. Take a follow up when you can. Two minutes of running by a mortally wounded elk can take the better part of a day to makeup when packing out.

However, last year my magazine ejected on the mountain and was lost. When I got into elk I held a couple of extra shells in my hand and was able to get ready for a follow up in just a few seconds. Didn't need it. That TSX did its job well!

Precisely why I'm not a fan of a removeable magazine in a big game rifle. mtmuley

buy that farquharson if you can afford it,,
at present i use a single shot bolt action kimber,,wildcat,, but have brought a hagn falling block action from canada,,so that means i like the single shots
a good rifle makes one a better shot
i take it its not allowed to fit a suppressor over there,,some of those monster cannons sure make a man cringe,,ear plugs and a brake go a long way to being a better shot

I shot my first elk with a Ruger No. 1. I think the idea of a single shot makes you concentrate on that first shot. But in reality, I can reload my No. 1 as fast as most people can chamber another round in a bolt action. But, that being said the No. 1 is a very heavy gun at the end of the day. John

I also shoot a Ruger 1. Love the gun and i think it does make you concentrate more and makes you become a better shot, because you may not get the second shot. I also can reload the 2nd shot very quickly just in case.DRAFTSTUD is correct though, that they are a bit heavier in the long run

I shot my first elk with a Ruger No. 1. I think the idea of a single shot makes you concentrate on that first shot. But in reality, I can reload my No. 1 as fast as most people can chamber another round in a bolt action. But, that being said the No. 1 is a very heavy gun at the end of the day. John

^^^^zactly......I carried a 7 mag stainless #1 back when I was a young elkhunter (51) along with about 40 lbs of useless chit in a backpack all day. Size 48 shirt & size 6 hat mentality.

No one is a greater advocate of single shot's than myself. Unfortunately, the quality single shot's are heavy. Accuracy with a T/C is a sometimes thing. As much as I love the s.s.'s I hunt with a bolt rifle or handgun.

My Sako 300 WSM Finnlight with custom stock weighs < 7 lbs ready to hunt. I can't argue with that.

I've got a Ruger No. 1 in 338 Win Mag. I love the balance and feel of that gun. It points natural for me. I purchased it because a) I love the Farquharson styling and b) I thought it would be really fun in the timber.

I'm planning on putting the Hick's accurizer on it. (http://www.eabco.com/HicksAccurizer1.html) It doesn't group as well as I think it should, and if I put the fore-end on the tripod on different spots it can change the point of impact a bit. I did get a 210 gr Nosler Partition load under an inch at 100 yards (can't remember the powder charge), but that was when I was very particular about where I placed the gun on the tripod. Hence, I've only carried it in the field a couple of days.

I like the falling block over the break-action. Personally, there's just too much movement in the break-action for me.

But it's a fun project gun for me. I like to tinker. With practice the followup shot can be as quick as a bolt.

Just put one in the magazine. Problem solved. I guess if you lack the self control to wait for the right shot opportunity to develop, you probably won't be able to use my solution either.

No one is a greater advocate of single shot's than myself. Unfortunately, the quality single shot's are heavy. Accuracy with a T/C is a sometimes thing. As much as I love the s.s.'s I hunt with a bolt rifle or handgun.

My Sako 300 WSM Finnlight with custom stock weighs < 7 lbs ready to hunt. I can't argue with that.

not sure if all [ quality ] single shots are heavy. i have a few of them 3 ultra light arms and 4 cooper model 21's. 2 of the ultra lights are model 20 s and both are 5lbs 1 1/12 oz turn key with scopes ready to hunt all the coopers are around 5 3/4 lbs . the coopers are wood stocks so they are a little heavier.
all are single shots and i have never felt like i was handicapped using them
the latest hunt was with 1 of the ultra lights on a self guided tahr and chamois hunt in new zealand
all these heads of game were taken with both the coopers and the ultra lights chambered in 25x47

Attachments

• tahr hunt 005.jpg
    tahr hunt 005.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 513
  • tahr hunt 106.jpg
    tahr hunt 106.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 479
  • bou in velvet.jpg
    bou in velvet.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 541
  • saco mule deer.jpg
    saco mule deer.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 509
Scout CVA .300 SS?

I would rather have a few rounds then a single shot... Though to each his or her own. :)

Like the previous poster spend sometime practicing. I also used to deal with pulling trigger way to quick. l have a Ruger 1 in 25-06 and love it. Most anyone can shoot it well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back