H&R Single Shot Rifle - 25-06

Sako'06

Anyone have experience with this rifle as well as loading for it? After some loads the barrel release lever was very stubborn to release and easy after others. What would cause this please? Is this an indication the brass needs the shoulder bumped back? Loads were mild...50 gr IMR 4350 with a 100 gr Speer HotCor.

Also, how are pressure signs different when working with a single shot vs. bolt action?

This chamber seems longer than SAAMI.

Thank you.

Last edited:
What makes you think it’s longer than SAAMI? What part of the chamber?

Could be a hot load making it tough to open. There won’t be ejector marks when you get hot like there are in a Remington, and that often happens before primers get flat, so you don’t have that to go on. I’d recommend Winchester primers because they’re the softest. You can probably get pressure to show on the primer before you’re tooooooo terribly hot.

I would be extremely careful reloading large rifle cartridges for that action. Whether it’s true or not, I can’t say, but I’ve been told that when they fail, they pop open and blow the case out into your face. The amount of force on that action is related to pressure, and the diameter of the case head, so 22 Hornet and 223 Rem are a lot easier for it to contain than a 25-06.

I had one in 22 Hornet growing up and it started misfiring. It wouldn’t even leave a mark on the primer. My dad took it apart and put it back together a number of times trying to figure it out. Then one day I figured it out. If you have good enough trigger control the hammer will fall before the connecting bar(or whatever it’s called) falls. The result is that the hammer is blocked from hitting the firing pin, which is supposed to happen if the hammer falls as a result of the gun being dropped. Some H&R actions are likely more prone to this than others. That action continued to function perfectly as a shotgun action.

Thank you for that. This helps.

The reason I believe the chamber is beyond SAAMI is I measured cases before and after. This is the third reloading for this brass (Hornady from their factory Whitetail loads). These readings are from a Redding Instant indicator. The set-up gauge is 2.0487" to which the indicator was set to "0". The whole numbers below are thousandths of an inch over SAAMI minimum and as I think I understand it, SAAMI max is 2.0587 so anything over 10 is beyond max. These are from a 4831SC ladder between 53.6 and 55.1 grains pushing a 110 ELD-X. Cases were also measured with a Sinclair bump gauge and show similar data.

I suppose a chamber cast is my next step.

Instant Indi before
2.0487 +/-after

Last edited:
Thank you for that. This helps.

The reason I believe the chamber is beyond SAAMI is I measured cases before and after. This is the third reloading for this brass (Hornady from their factory Whitetail loads). These readings are from a Redding Instant indicator. The set-up gauge is 2.0487" to which the indicator was set to "0". The whole numbers below are thousandths of an inch over SAAMI minimum and as I think I understand it, SAAMI max is 2.0587 so anything over 10 is beyond max. These are from a 4831SC ladder between 53.6 and 55.1 grains pushing a 110 ELD-X. Cases were also measured with a Sinclair bump gauge and show similar data.

I suppose a chamber cast is my next step.

Instant Indi before
2.0487 +/-after

So on the before measurements, is this after sizing? Are you sizing just enough to get an easy close? Have you checked how much shoulder bump you’re doing when you size? While I can’t say I’ve measured a bunch of cases before, this seems like substantial variation on both before and after. Perhaps someone else should chime in on that.

That action doesn’t lock up as solidly as a bolt action. It probably stretches a little more during firing. It wouldn’t surprise me if an in-spec chamber could leave your fired brass a little longer than expected.

You don’t have to cast the chamber. You can test it with a no-go gauge first.

This has been neck sized only and...

I have more data to gather. Those were reloaded again. All those measurements ejected fine. On this fourth firing is when things didn't want to cooperate. More measurements forthcoming.

To me it is a headspace issue which is where the go/no go gauges come in. My no go is .0035" longer than my go gauge and my Axis II will chamber them both but with a piece of tape on the base, the no go won't chamber. I figure that chamber is about .005 headspace and measured brass confirms that. There is no way this H&R brass will chamber in the Savage.

I have two other 25-06 barrels I'd like to cast so may as well make it three. Already have the alloy.

Thanks for your replies. I'll update this when I get some time at the bench.

Anyone have experience with this rifle as well as loading for it? After some loads the barrel release lever was very stubborn to release and easy after others. What would cause this please? Is this an indication the brass needs the shoulder bumped back? Loads were mild...50 gr IMR 4350 with a 100 gr Speer HotCor.

Also, how are pressure signs different when working with a single shot vs. bolt action?

This chamber seems longer than SAAMI.

Thank you.
The 280 won't hit the broad side of a Jimmy Gold building at a 100

Ok, first things first...

As was pointed out, the break open actions aren't as strong as a bolt action.
Usually they will give a break open a longer freebore (bullet jump) to help mitigate pressures in a break open actions.
Think Weatherby chamber.

So for keeping pressures down, load to SAAMI COAL.
Don't search for the lands.

I've also found neck sizing only doesn't work well for the Handi Rifles, or the Rossi break opens either.
Full length sizing, and trim every reload are the key to an easy life with those actions.

Start with a starting load, and slowly build up, (0.3gr) looking for an accuracy node.
If the button for breaking open the action starts to get stiff, back your charge down!

By the way, measuring how long the case is tells only tells you when you need to trim it.
If your looking for pressure signs, measure your case above the extractor groove.

I have a 223 and run moderate loads woth 45, 50 and 55 grain bullets. I don't push the limits. These loads are also enough to cycle my AR'15s, so it all works good. I do t have to reach for the starts for a 300 yard max varmint/target/plinking gun for wither action.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back