Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Trying to rechamber a botched 30-06 improved

Could you ream it out to a .338-06AI? My gunsmith was very high on that cartridge when I hired him to build a standard .338-06.
If you were to decide to go the 338/06 AI route I have all the dies needed for that cartridge to sell (the rifle was stolen, never recovered) Have Redding deluxe (3 die) set, 30 pcs Lapua brass, 32 rounds loaded with 55gr RL17 & 200 accubond, 1 bx each 210 TTSX/200 Nosler etip/Speer 200 hotcore
The only brass headstamps are either Lapua or Nosler and all primers are 210M, I'd include all load data In a Tikka superlight loads trailed 338 win mag by less than 200 fps with about 60-65% of the kick (the superlight is a light rifle)
It was a surprisingly efficient and deadly round, I miss it but just not into doing that project again now - I'd let it all go for $200 + shipping (the dies were nearly that, actually I think they were more than $200, custom from Redding)

If you were to decide to go the 338/06 AI route I have all the dies needed for that cartridge to sell (the rifle was stolen, never recovered) Have Redding deluxe (3 die) set, 30 pcs Lapua brass, 32 rounds loaded with 55gr RL17 & 200 accubond, 1 bx each 210 TTSX/200 Nosler etip/Speer 200 hotcore
The only brass headstamps are either Lapua or Nosler and all primers are 210M, I'd include all load data In a Tikka superlight loads trailed 338 win mag by less than 200 fps with about 60-65% of the kick (the superlight is a light rifle)
It was a surprisingly efficient and deadly round, I miss it but just not into doing that project again now - I'd let it all go for $200 + shipping (the dies were nearly that, actually I think they were more than $200, custom from Redding)
Thanks for the offer and super-intriguing cartridge, but I've already amassed a small stockpile of .338-06 components including standard dies. Coincidentally, I'm building mine of a Tikka T3x action.

Foolish question, have you consiered a re-barrela/ Or how aabout 35 Whelan brass if you can find some Neck size first and you should get a donut at the shoulder to headspace on.

Well i tried chamber casting myself tonight and that was a train wreck. We’ll see what the 280ai hornady oal guage does when it gets here

The cast got stuck 2x and had to melt and start over. Made a mess all over the shop floor and used up all the cerosafe I had
Did you try the Sulphur like in the video I posted?

I have three barrels I’m planning to do that with when I get home later this week.

Did you try the Sulphur like in the video I posted?

I have three barrels I’m planning to do that with when I get home later this week.
no I had a bar of cerosafe I’d bought awhile back for this project and gave it a crack with that

I figured I’d try a chamber casting to get my setbacks for reloading.

When I re-chambered my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs (back in 1977) the gunsmith that did the work didn't have a Gibbs reamer so he used a .30-06 Ackley Improved reamer and just set the shoulder deeper to the Gibbs depth.

To get reloading dies I sent 3 fired cases to RCBS and they sent me back custom dies to match my cases. Everything worked fine after that.

When I re-chambered my .30-06 to .30 Gibbs (back in 1977) the gunsmith that did the work didn't have a Gibbs reamer so he used a .30-06 Ackley Improved reamer and just set the shoulder deeper to the Gibbs depth.

To get reloading dies I sent 3 fired cases to RCBS and they sent me back custom dies to match my cases. Everything worked fine after that.

I was going to suggest just having a die made as well. I think Whidden makes custom dies as well

Ok I got a hornady oal gauge for a 280ai. There’s no way it’ll chamber. It also looks a fair bit longer than my spent brass I have

Attachments

• 949304BF-2195-496B-A34D-96583867A73A.jpeg
    949304BF-2195-496B-A34D-96583867A73A.jpeg
    949.5 KB · Views: 34
If you have no use for the OAL gauge I'll take it off your hands lol

Thanks for the offer and super-intriguing cartridge, but I've already amassed a small stockpile of .338-06 components including standard dies. Coincidentally, I'm building mine of a Tikka T3x action.
Cool - That is what mine was built from too

How do you know its botched? Thw cases look like they are streaching at the web vs expanding. It's not labeled anything but improved, that could mean a lot of things. Fireform some cases, send to RCBS and get dies made. Or have it reamed to a Hawk or Gibbs.

Look up cream of wheat fire forming. Super easy and works well.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back