PEAX Equipment

Break Action Single Shot Rifle

FairWeather

I recently acquired a Rossi matched set youth rifle/shotgun combo. It has a 22lr, 243win, & 20ga barrel.

Pretty stoked on it, as I’ve been wanting to try 243 for a while, and I love the idea of being able to shoot 22lr for practicing with the same rifle I’ll hunt with later in the year. I’m also liking the idea of being able to take the 20ga barrel with me in my pack on day hunts, as I almost always see some grouse or quail while I’m hunting deer.

One thing I’ve noticed with this gun, though, is that while it locks up real tight and solid when the action is closed, when the action is open there’s about a 1/16” bit of play in it left/right. The barrel has zero resistance when opening/closing. Not sure if it’s inherently a bad thing, just strikes me as odd. I have an NEF single 20ga that doesn’t have any play in it at all when open. It’s just as rigid open as it is closed.

Anyone have experience with these single Rossis to know if this is normal? Anyone have any solutions if it’s not?
Im thinking maybe a gunsmith could add a spacer or something along where the barrel pivot point is.

the break action guns that l have seen almost always have a bit of play when they are broke open, it really depends on how used it is.
This one is new old stock. If it’s nothing to worry about, that’s fine by me. Saves me money taking it to a gunsmith.

I bought one in 7mm-08 from my friend for a kids/nieces/nephews gun. He got it for his son as a youth rifle and he didn't take to it the rifle had less then 40 rounds through it when I got it. Definitely a little play when open but seems to lock up tightly and has been a heck of a shooter. My wife has sorta commandeered it as she thinks her Winchester M70 is to heavy to lug around very far. The guns a shooter for sure she shot a Wyoming antelope at 391 yards a few years ago.

I bought one in 7mm-08 from my friend for a kids/nieces/nephews gun. He got it for his son as a youth rifle and he didn't take to it the rifle had less then 40 rounds through it when I got it. Definitely a little play when open but seems to lock up tightly and has been a heck of a shooter. My wife has sorta commandeered it as she thinks her Winchester M70 is to heavy to lug around very far. The guns a shooter for sure she shot a Wyoming antelope at 391 yards a few years ago.
That’s good to hear! How’s the recoil on her gun? I’ve heard both extremes. Some say they can hardly feel it at all, others say it kicks like a mule. The LOP is a little short for me anyway, so I’m considering getting a thicker recoil pad for it. Going to try it at the rang as is first though.

I had an H&R with some wiggle. A few layers of electrical tape between the laminate fore-end and the plastic piece that meets up with the hinge snugged it right up.

Might be worth a try on the Rossi.

I am thrilled to hear that such a thing exists. I have a daughter who likes
To hunt from a blind but she is - shall we say -a bit clutzy. When I’ve given her a bolt action there are literally
Too many moving parts. She is brilliant, wonderful, creative, and kind, she just routinely forgets about things like gravity. I’m on the lookout for a single shot but the CVA guns were the only
Ones I was researching.

I am thrilled to hear that such a thing exists. I have a daughter who likes
To hunt from a blind but she is - shall we say -a bit clutzy. When I’ve given her a bolt action there are literally
Too many moving parts. She is brilliant, wonderful, creative, and kind, she just routinely forgets about things like gravity. I’m on the lookout for a single shot but the CVA guns were the only
Ones I was researching.
Sadly these Rossis are out of production for a while now. I literally happened to stumble across it on GB, and pulled the trigger w/ the buy now function, as it was racking up bids pretty quick.
Henry is making single shot rifles, though, that seem like they’re pretty high quality, and typically sell for under $500.

Last edited:
That’s good to hear! How’s the recoil on her gun? I’ve heard both extremes. Some say they can hardly feel it at all, others say it kicks like a mule. The LOP is a little short for me anyway, so I’m considering getting a thicker recoil pad for it. Going to try it at the rang as is first though.
It was a bit much for the kids and wife until I switched to a reduced recoil load. I didn't mind it but I have a high tolerance for recoil I bet a 243 will be a bit nicer.20230307_080842.jpg

I have a NEF Handi Rifle in 223. My first center fire rifle I bought when I was old enough. I don't shoot it as much as in years past. But it's a fun little gun.

Never had a Rossi but My brother did buy a Mossberg SSI-One in .223 a jillion years ago. Same kinda concept single-shot with interchangeable bbls.

It’s been in his safe ever since, he’s gonna sell it as his thoughts of a dedicated long range p-dog gun changed years ago. Never been shot if anyone’s got interest lol

I had an H&R with some wiggle. A few layers of electrical tape between the laminate fore-end and the plastic piece that meets up with the hinge snugged it right up.

Might be worth a try on the Rossi.
I just tried this, and it worked like a charm. Thanks!

Reactions: LCH
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back