Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Correct Way to Sight In?

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I have sighted in rifles before, but as I was doing research to see if there was a better way of sighting in my rifles. I discovered two main ways people seem to sight in their rifles. One way is to bring where you are shooting to the bullseye of the target (aka chasing the bullseye) and the other way is to dial your scope to where your shots are (aka chasing where your shooting). I am wanting to know what is the best way to sight in? All info is very appreciated! Thank you!

I use the second but I shoot off a lead sled 2 when I sight in. It is extremely easy to adjust the rifle so the crosshairs rest perfectly on the bullseye both before and after the first shot. I use electrical tape and tape it down prior to adjusting the reticle after the shot. Works perfectly for me.

I like the second method but since I don’t use a sled and shoot by myself most of the time it’s difficult. Most of mine are done chasing the bullseye

2nd method for me. I want to make sure that rifle is securely in the rifle rest I have, and not moving. I like p_ham's idea of an MOA grid. Never used that method because I'm too cheap to buy targets. 10 Years ago I just took a target I already had, xeroxed so that I got a center black dot that was perfectly 1" by moving in and out the contract/expand button on the copy machine. Then copied out 500 targets. So, I can judge approximately howmany clicks away my shots are, reasonably well, from the center. Follow?

Shoot, measure POA to POI offset, adjust turrets based on measured offset.

There are free PDFs available online with MOA or Mil grid calibrated to 100 yards or 100 meters so you can print rather than buy targets. This makes the measuring part easy if you dont have a scope with a good mil or MOA based reticle. I just use my reticle to measure offset typically but i do still like printing targets with a mil or MOA grid as a group size or zero offset reference when just looking at target and not using reticle like when you're done shooting.

Shoot, measure POA to POI offset, adjust turrets based on measured offset.

There are free PDFs available online with MOA or Mil grid calibrated to 100 yards or 100 meters so you can print rather than buy. This makes the measuring part easy if you dont have a scope with a good mil or MOA based reticle. I just use my reticle to measure offset typically but i do still like printing targets with a mil or MOA grid as a group size or zero offset reference when just looking at target and not using reticle like when you're done shooting.
Great idea of using the reticle!! I just started buying Leupold's VX%s & VX6's with the Impact29 reticle. Hadn't thought of that one. Super creativity.

I chase the bull. I don't own a lead sled, and don't plan to. I figure that I am a part of the accuracy equation, so should be doing the shooting. I don't really care so much what the rifle does, I want what WE do to be on the target. Of course, that depends heavily on both - until I got my barrel free floated, I really was chasing the bull as groups turned into patterns. And I have to do my job. All this from a guy who has shot many more patched round balls down range than ammo I have launched from my centerfire rifles...

David
NM

I go simple and easy. I use the old Coroplast signs left by political elections scattered around the roads. I put a 1"black dot in the middle. Take one shot at 50'. Dial it in doing the math. Back out to 50 yds, repeat. Out to a 100 yds to fine tune it. It never takes more than 4 bullets to get into a 2" circle at 100. It's pretty easy to fine tune it from there.

I use the old Coroplast signs left by political elections scattered around the roads.
Great idea! There was a shortage of butts last time I went to the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back