Caribou Gear Tarp

Sierra 165 tipped game king

chevyman181

Hello all,

I was just curious if anyone is using the 165 tgk for hunting and how well it performed. More specifically, in a 280ai with a 1-9 twist.

I've heard a few say that it doesn't expand well. I used the traditional GK for deer back east with no issues. Thought we might give them a try for ND mule deer and elk.

thanks.

I've liked the performance (expansion : penetration ratio) in the .243 iteration. I realize that info is limited in use, but for what it's worth. Odds are good that my household kills a bear or two with it this spring.

My friend has been using them the 130gr ones 6.5CM from 25yds out to 310 or so. They worked great at all distance and never*** came apart from what we could tell.

Last edited:
Another vote in 243, 95 grains. Not the bullets I wanted but for a while you took what you could get and were happy about it. No performance issue on deer and they are accurate

Have any of y'all shoot them at any distance, 800-1000 yards? I like practicing with the same load I hunt with at longer range. I have some SST but they haven't shot well for me past 700 and a buddy at 800. That's not bad for a hunting bullet. I am just wondering.

Thanks

Not 800+, but have shot to 700 on steel with 90’s out of a .243 and 6-250. They have consistently shot well.

The 130s have become my go to 6.5 bullet. I hunt and shoot steel with them out of my Creedmoor And just picked up a box of 500. They’ve performed exceptionally well in both roles.
Ive also shot the 110 grain out of my 25-06, and the 165 grain bullets out of my 308. All have been very accurate and lethal.

Have any of y'all shoot them at any distance, 800-1000 yards? I like practicing with the same load I hunt with at longer range. I have some SST but they haven't shot well for me past 700 and a buddy at 800. That's not bad for a hunting bullet. I am just wondering.

Thanks
I have no actual experience but YouTube vids show inconsitant expansion below 2200fps. The thick jacket and tougher alloy lead sure seems like it would be a great option for normal range hunting bullet. I plan on using the 100gr tgk in my 6cm this year.

I stopped using Sierra bullet's for big game years ago. I found them super accurate but they also did much more damage than I cared for. Not a clue about the Sierra Pro hunter. Use a few different bullets for varmints and Serria is one of them. I have taken Sierras out of the box and weighted them and have always found the weights to be right on to what Sierra says. If I were a match shooter, Sierra is about all I would shoot. Tried the 100gr SMK in my 25-06 one time, best group at 100 yds I have ever shot. Put the rifle away and have never shot it again, don't want to spoil the illusion! Have a 243 that loves the 70gr SMK! What a surprise huh? Years ago shot a 222 Rem that also loved SMK bullet's.

Thanks
I have some steel prairie dog targets. No problem hitting them out to 1300 yds with the 130s out of my 6.5 Creedmoor.

No experience yet with the .284 165's. I have used them in the 6.5 130 grain (my most decisive deer kill to date) and the .277 140 grain on mule deer with excellent results. Also used the .308 165 grain on a bovine with great penetration and retention. I also am shooting the 90 grain out of my 6mm-284 but have not shot an animal with it yet. They have been very accurate out of everything I shoot and my field experience lends me to say they are a very adequate hunting bullet.

I've liked the performance (expansion : penetration ratio) in the .243 iteration. I realize that info is limited in use, but for what it's worth. Odds are good that my household kills a bear or two with it this spring.
Hello wanted to check in and set it y'all killed and bears and how the SGC did?

Thanks

Hello wanted to check in and set it y'all killed and bears and how the SGC did?

Thanks
My 13 yo shot a pretty decent boar, one 150 yd shot with a .243, double lung pass through; it ran a few yards and rolled down the hill, was dead <10 seconds. I passed on some average bears. I remain very happy with the bullet.

3EC66052-49FA-496A-BDCC-A7A10BDF08AD.jpeg

I love the 180 gk in my 300 win and the 117 in my 25/06. I have never tried the tgk. But I know a 180 will absolutely drop an elk and the 117gr turns deer and antelope off like flicking a light switches.

I love the 180 gk in my 300 win and the 117 in my 25/06. I have never tried the tgk. But I know a 180 will absolutely drop an elk and the 117gr turns deer and antelope off like flicking a light switches.
The 180gr is also my favorite for 300WM, unfortunately I have not seen it on shelves in over a year. Worked spectacularly on deer. Had to switch over to Speer 180gr Hot Cor.

In 280AI, I don't think you can drive a 165 anything fast enough to get it to separate on game. I shoot the 140 TGKs out my 270win guns nowadays, and they are factory from Sierra. My guns like them just fine. Guessing they are coming out somewhere about 2900 from my 22" barrels. Shot a deer last year at 200yds + or -. Had plenty of expansion and pass through on a double lung shot. If I did not pick up a new 35whelen (that I'm stoked about) for this year, I'd be using the 270 and 140TGK for deer and elk without hesitation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back