Shoulder Seasons on Public Land

Whether comments to the commission are fruitless or not, I am going to fight the repetitive stupidity. Even if it means writing a letter or standing up at a commission meeting for the last remaining public land elk in Montana down the road.

I know, we get what we vote for, but what else is there to do?

Last edited:
Whether comments to the commission are fruitless or not, I am going to fight the repetitive stupidity. Even if it means writing a letter or standing up at a commission meeting for the last remaining public land elk in Montana down the road.

I know, we get what we vote for, but what else is there to do?
Nothing else to do...nobody to see about it either, wish there was.

In my understanding, they WANT to limit the elk Numbers, too many for the range.
What better way than to kill 2 or 3 with every shot.
I'm thinking it would be a little disheartening when you gut one out in March and have to shoot the fawn in the whom.

I don't want to gut a cow with a fetus. Pregnant is pregnant though. mtmuley
I gutted a doe that was lactating during the last week on Nov last year. Had never heard of them still nursing that late. Made my stomach turn a bit thinking that I maybe took out the mom of a nursing fawn. Weird.

Please enlighten me as an ignorant Alaskan with no dog in this hunt.
Is the problem with late season hunts using muzzleloaders?
If so, what is this "bad"?
Thanks

Please enlighten me as an ignorant Alaskan with no dog in this hunt.
Is the problem with late season hunts using muzzleloaders?
If so, what is this "bad"?
Thanks

Though I was and remain opposed to the late season muzzleloader hunts due the fact that we are already on an unsustainable or at the very least negative trajectory in terms of hunt quality, distribution of game, and age class structure in Montana, I chiefly created this thread in reference to the shoulder seasons. Hunting elk 6 months out of the year to cater to a few bellyachers is wrong, and basically exacerbates so many of the problems referenced in the previous sentence.

There are hundreds if not a thousand pages worth of other threads fleshing this out . A Tl- DR on shoulder seasons that fires me up: During the 2016 season setting meetings, 89% of the comments FWP received were opposed to shoulder seasons. They went forward with em anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back