PEAX Equipment

Should Have Bought A Tundra

I'm biased towards ford, the '99 has been a 1/million vehicle.
I just bought a new f-150 and as my brother kindly pointed out "it won't go 400K even after a 2nd engine." The new stuff being built now is made for mileage not longevity. The difference between my '99 7.3 and the new 2020 3.5 can be summed up easily, "steel vs aluminum."

441000.jpg

I drive a '98 F150 with the anemic 4.6. It's been dead nuts reliable.

With new replacements starting at $40k, I'll just keep driving.

With new replacements starting at $40k, I'll just keep driving.
Crazy, isn't it? The last pickup I bought brand new was a 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins. I paid 29,900 for it at Yellowstone Motors in Livingston.

I have a work truck so I don’t get to choose what I drive. My wife said she’d like to try a truck last month as long as I got a front bench so we can fit 6. I sold her van and went to the Yota dealership that afternoon. I won’t drive anything but Honda’s or Toyota’s if I’m paying for it. The resale market for tundras, tacos, and 4runners tells me all in need to know. 7C09FF66-85C8-473A-8B04-C400ABD7F496.jpegF23550F4-2215-44EE-A91F-05FE2EBCC81A.jpeg709ED3A2-CF1F-40D6-B464-E733E0B91E33.jpeg

When I decide on what vehicle to buy, longevity is on the list, but not even in the top 3. Total cost of ownership must be evaluated with ALL of the costs, not just cherry pick the ones that make our vehicle of choice look good. For example, with the poor mileage that a Tundra gets, the higher resale is at least partially, if not entirely, negated due to additional fuel costs. Everybody uses their truck different and they need to take in all of the factors in deciding what is right for them. YMMV

When I decide on what vehicle to buy, longevity is on the list, but not even in the top 3. Total cost of ownership must be evaluated with ALL of the costs, not just cherry pick the ones that make our vehicle of choice look good. For example, with the poor mileage that a Tundra gets, the higher resale is at least partially, if not entirely, negated due to additional fuel costs. Everybody uses their truck different and they need to take in all of the factors in deciding what is right for them. YMMV
Certainly. It also largely depends on if you're buying a new vehicle that has warranty or a used one that does not.

FWIW, the cost difference (assuming 8 years of ownership @ 12,000 miles per year) between an average of 14 and 18 mpg is $520 dollars per year at $2.75/gallon gas prices.

Interesting, but can you substantiate that with non-cherry-picked examples? Using quick math like @JLS did, it's doubtful the fuel cost difference would negate the resale, and I'd be extremely surprised if it did. I'd take a Tundra with great longevity but "poor" mileage (mine is 15.9mpg) over a truck that gets better mileage all day long, knowing the longevity of my vehicle keeps me on the highway road and out of the shop.

Last edited:
Just using your math it is $4,160 in extra fuel and most people put on way more than 12,000 miles per year. I put on 20,000 and don't drive for work or anything. Using 20,000 miles per year, it is just under $7,000. That is a given cost, no ducking it. Any individual truck may not have longevity, thus it is a gamble that you get one with no problems, but for sure you are going to pay for the extra fuel. On the flip side, you may get one of the Big 3 that has no problems AND gets better mileage and has more towing and payload capacity. It is a crapshoot! Kinda like campers, everyone has their own opinion on what is best!

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back