PEAX Equipment

Should Have Bought A Tundra

Until Toyota can come up with a truck that can compete with "heavy load hauling" it's not even an option for most who are serious about actually using a full size truck for what it was made for. If your day to day grocery getting and maybe a small boat or trailer towing from time to time and need room for lumber on occasion or hauling some gravel I guess a Tundra will work but ask it to do real work and it's gonna be lagging far behind any of the big 3 diesel models. All perspective here. When you compare the tundra to all full size model trucks for heavy use it falls short. If it's for daily getting around, commuting and the like, sure it's not. a bad truck at all and may even be a better option if you're in the market for that sort of full size truck. Just my .02
If you compare any half ton to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel for towing it will fall short. A 1 ton diesel will fall short off road. All about what you need a truck to do.

A 18' flat bottom Wooldridge with an outboard jet will do some amazing things. However, there are somethings you can do in a 26' inboard jet the Wooldridge wouldn't do.

Pretty sure we have choices as consumers because not everyone has the same application. If you need to tow heavy trailers on a daily basis and you buy a Tundra instead of a HD 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, well that's on you. Many of us don't, and as such see little to no point in dealing with the drawbacks to these vehicles.

The HD pickup market is pretty amazing today in terms of what it offers relative to 25 years ago. Obviously, Toyota doesn't care about the HD pickup market since their only full size offering is a half ton.

Plenty of good options out there we as consumers can choose. There are so many options, its kind of pointless to argue which one is "best", because it's so dependent on the variables you consider top priority.

Biggest mistake I've ever made, vehicle wise, was to go from a Toyota Tacoma to a Chevy Silverado...

I owned my Taco 10 years and only changed two ball joints on it and it was most likely due to the fact that I was running a 3in lift, 33s and spacers. Now, I've owned my Silverado for a year now and have had at least 4 recalls, changed the tailgate mechanism, changed a bunch of stuff in the POS radio display, had the power steering give out, etc.
My first truck was a 83 Tacoma. When that truck was just shy of 380,000 miles it was totaled. You could throw a dead cat through the floorboard but it ran and was dependable all the way up to the end. I bit the bullet and bought a 06 Chevy with the 4.8 brand new off the lot and 6 years later sold it due to the constant work I was doing on it and the fact that it was not only rusting into pieces but also that half the electronics were acting up or causing issues that were very expensive to fix I was at around 130,000 miles on it when I finally sold it. My current work truck is a 98 Tacoma with around 290,000 miles on it. Still going strong and would not care to hop in it and drive it to California if I ever actually found myself wanting to go there. I guess you can get good ones and bad ones no matter what you buy but for me the Toyota truck both Tundra and Tacoma have been the most reliable I have ever owned.

My last 2 trucks were Chevy Silverados with the 5.3. I think the first was a 2005 and I traded it in at 235,000 miles and the second one was a 2012 and I traded it in just a couple months ago with 215,000 miles. Only reason I traded my last one in was to upgrade to a 3/4 ton.

I find it funny that the infamous Taco is the about the only category on the list that the OP linked to that wasn't the most % over 200,000 miles. It was a Honda Ridgeline. I don't expect many people to run out and buy one of those.

Hit that like button on accident. Shoulda been the laughing my ass off one. mtmuley

Yea well GM drivers end getting bad knees from walking while their trucks are in the shop

Last edited:
Only good thing about the last GM was how easy it was to win the lemon lawsuit I filed

To say GM's are shit is ignorant.
A sample size of n=1 is never an indicator of a trend, and I fully believe all of you guys who've had great luck with Chevy/GMC pickups. My current Chevrolet work pickup has me pulling my hair out to the point I don't know that I could buy one on my own dime.

A sample size of n=1 is never an indicator of a trend, and I fully believe all of you guys who've had great luck with Chevy/GMC pickups. My current Chevrolet work pickup has me pulling my hair out to the point I don't know that I could buy one on my own dime.
And that's your experience. We've argued this before. I will not buy a foreign badged vehicle. Doesn't mean I walk everywhere. mtmuley

And that's your experience. We've argued this before. I will not buy a foreign badged vehicle. Doesn't mean I walk everywhere. mtmuley
Easy cowboy, just making conversation. I directly acknowledged your experience and believe 100% it's valid. No argument.

Since our last talk I had the steering rack replaced to the tune of a couple grand and I have a CEL with a low fuel pressure code. This is simply mind boggling to me.

You don't have to buy a foreign vehicle, and I never said or insinuated you walk everywhere. I fully expect to end up walking one of these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my 98 Tacoma for the legroom & auto after knee surgery. LOL
The old 83Toyota 4x4 had 565k on it and THAT cab was small,the shifting was killing my knees in that &tractors , big rigs. The 98 was made in Atlanta.
My 01 F-150 is my roomy,tow, haul once in a while rig now. The Tacoma to explore NM.

My last 2 trucks were Chevy Silverados with the 5.3. I think the first was a 2005 and I traded it in at 235,000 miles and the second one was a 2012 and I traded it in just a couple months ago with 215,000 miles. Only reason I traded my last one in was to upgrade to a 3/4 ton.

I find it funny that the infamous Taco is the about the only category on the list that the OP linked to that wasn't the most % over 200,000 miles. It was a Honda Ridgeline. I don't expect many people to run out and buy one of those.
I bought a new 4.3 92 Silverado and a 5.3 99 Silverado, both half tons. I liked them both, but here in western PA both had serious rust issues after about 7-8 years. I finally lost the transmission in the 92 about 130K and 10 years. The 99, despite patching bed and new cab corners and rocker panels just was beyond hope - brake lines replaced 3 times for rust, fuel line. It too only had about 130K. Just too much to deal with.

I now have a 2007 Ridgeline I bought with 160K on it two years ago. It's now at 191K. It's far and away the most comfortable drive I've had and I am 6'5" and 270. I took it from here to SW CO for archery elk. I wish it had a 6' bed instead of 5' because I did sleep diagonal in there a couple nights. I had it on some FS roads where it probably didn't belong but it performed awesome. For a single guy, even for 2 weeks, it's a pretty good ride.

I know the newer ones get lots better mileage but I squeezed out 22 on the interstates loaded. I'm not a fan of the new body style but if it doesn't rust out. My buddies all ride me about it but it is a legit option. Mine will clearly get over 200K

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back