MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Should Have Bought A Tundra

I can’t say enough positive things about the Toyotas that’s I’ve owned. We got rid of the wife’s ‘01 Camry with 360k on it. It’s still being driven daily a year later. We had it from 219k to 360k. I replaced the radiator and did a brake job.

I wasn't going to waste my time posting on this again, but... Why is it that in the heavy duty truck industries that use trucks hard always go with the Big 3? I'm only talking full size 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks here to be fair to the imports. Why? mtmuley

I wasn't going to waste my time posting on this again, but... Why is it that in the heavy duty truck industries that use trucks hard always go with the Big 3? I'm only talking full size 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks here to be fair to the imports. Why? mtmuley

Chassis cabs.

The Rams I look at are set up with PTO, which connections, etc.

Honestly i don't see a lot of chev heavy duties.

Mostly Ford and Ram.

My wife drives a 19' Nissan armada. We've had 2 xterras.

I think we changed batteries.

I can't imagine rolling up the canyon, window down, those 12" screens eating dust.

I can't have nice cell phones because of dust.

I had a 92' Toyota short bed.(pink pinstripes).

I had to bailing wire the front end when i busted a tie, limped off mtn. burned the clutch, beat the hell out of it.

I begged my wife to go 4 runner last year.

I just believe there is so much "Merica" when it comes to trucks it's a hard segment.

Toyota tundra is the only truck out there you have to lift to make it look/perform like a real 4x4 truck!

That said I've never owned a truck other than a Toyota.

I personally think the biggest point everyone misses with a a pick up, is that they are a silly money pit for 70% of people most of the time. The day I got a hold of a junker daily driver and commuter and kept my truck parked for the fun stuff ended up being a very happy happenstance.

If you can afford a little extra liability insurance and a place to park a grocery getter, you'll be miles ahead of the game.

I Bought a 2002 Tundra in 2010 with 70,000 on it. It now has 130,000 of fun miles on it.

I had a 06 tundra for quite a few years, it got shitty fuel milage, poor towing performance even with tiny trailers, and just as many repairs as any other pickup I've owned, the rest of which were chevy. I'm about as much of a gearhead as a hunter, I do almost all my own work and am extremely anal about maintenance. I attribute this to my good fortune with all my vehicles. To each their own, I like my 90's chevys for pickups.

Toyota tundra is the only truck out there you have to lift to make it look/perform like a real 4x4 truck!

That said I've never owned a truck other than a Toyota.

I personally think the biggest point everyone misses with a a pick up, is that they are a silly money pit for 70% of people most of the time. The day I got a hold of a junker daily driver and commuter and kept my truck parked for the fun stuff ended up being a very happy happenstance.

If you can afford a little extra liability insurance and a place to park a grocery getter, you'll be miles ahead of the game.

I Bought a 2002 Tundra in 2010 with 70,000 on it. It now has 130,000 of fun miles on it.

Only ~6K miles per year on the truck? That's 500 miles per month, do you ride a bicycle everywhere or what??

Lessee...I had 500k+ on my 1st Toyota ,'82 4x4 truck when I sold it and got my Tacoma I have now,'98. That was 2000 & it had 36k on it. Now it has 332k and still runs good.
Got a '01 F150 Lariat Offroad 4x4, 4 years ago with 63k on it.Watched it hit 135k today. Nice truck. Got 565k on my last Ford F250 4x4 and that was Navy surplus....
Folks bragging about the 125k they have, have no clue what lots of miles is...

I have had chevy trucks and 4runners.
99 S10. 99 4runner
04 silverado. 06 4runner
09 silverado. 19 4runner

None of them have been more reliable than the other. Like I said pointless argument. Nothing anybody can say will convince me your truck is better because.....its all about personal comfort and brand loyalty.

Hmmm, let's see...There was a:
'90 Chevy Silverado I bought used from my dad when I was 17, it was great
then I drove my dad's new '01 GMC 2500 Duramax for 6 months, it was great and he still drives it daily
'97 Silverado I bought used from my dad, it was good, sold it to my brother he still drives it once in a while
'02 Dodge Dakota I bought used, it was mediocre
'07 Silverado I bought new, it was great for 50K and then electrical gremlins took over and it became completely unreliable
(My wife had a used Land Rover Discovery, absolute P.O.S., took bath on that one, don't ever buy one of those!)
'02 4Runner, used, it was excellent for what it was
'14 Tundra, used, it is great
...and when the Tundra wears out I'll probably steal my wife's '14 Land Cruiser, I bought it used too, and drive that for as long as possible or until I die, because it absolutely beats the pants off every other vehicle I've ever owned

Some info on sales numbers: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-us-pickup-truck-sales-figures-by-model/

Highlights from 2019
Ford F-series: 897k
Toyota Tundra: 249k
Chevy Silverado: 576k (GMC Sierra is another 232k)
Dodge Ram: 634k
Nissan Titan: 31.5k (Yes, that's right 31k for all of 2019. In the month of December, the F-series, the Silverado, and the Ram all surpassed the Titan's yearly sales. )

Because fuel economy standards were so much higher for imports than for domestic manufacturers that it was not possible to make a full sized truck that would pass. Somewhere around 2000-2004 that either changed, or Toyota and Nissan started using enough NAFTA country parts to get around some of the rules. I’d have to dig deeper to get exact details. The point is, it wasn’t until about the last twenty years that a full sized truck could legally be in the US if it didn’t come from the big three.

Nissan and Toyota neither have a lot of experience in full sized trucks, nor a long track record. But it’s not because their engineers are incapable. It’s because they were kept out of the market. Perhaps they still are to some degree. Looks like all of Toyota’s Diesel engines are banned in the US.

Ever been to a country where people use trucks hard? I spent a week in Nicaragua the number of Toyota Hiluxes on the “road” was staggering.

On deployments to Iraq and AFG we used diesel Hilux's and they were absolutely indestructible. I had a Tacoma from 09-16 without a single issue at 120,000 when I sold it from 2/3 of what I bought at (had to PCS to Germany and couldn't take it). The only reason I don't run a Toyota for a hunting rig is the same reason......resale value around here is plain ridiculous. As for for "heavy duty" Toyotas and what they can and do do ......if these were available here the game would simply be over. https://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70 You should watch the 4WD Action Youtube channel to see what they do.

BTW, price on that 70 series, with a double cab, V8 turbo diesel, and f/r diff locks is +- 52k US........

Last edited:
M
On deployments to Iraq and AFG we used diesel Hilux's and they were absolutely indestructible. I had a Tacoma from 09-16 without a single issue at 120,000 when I sold it from 2/3 of what I bought at (had to PCS to Germany and couldn't take it). The only reason I don't run a Toyota for a hunting rig is the same reason......resale value around here is plain ridiculous. As for for "heavy duty" Toyotas and what they can and do do ......if these were available here the game would simply be over. https://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70 You should watch the 4WD Action Youtube channel to see what they do.
Man that seems like a tough truck and a truck that can be used as a truck! I wonder if you could get one here somehow.

BTW, price on that 70 series, with a double cab, V8 turbo diesel, and f/r diff locks is +- 52k US........
I wouldn't consider the 70 heavy duty with only a 3500 kg towing capacity, nor would the game be over. The duramax can tow double that and is quite proven. The construction company I worked for years ago had a fleet of duramax trucks that were used hard pulling heavy trailers often. When I left they all were pushing 200k of construction use. I only remember any of them being in the shop once.
That said, those little toyota diesels are amazingly reliable and tough, I would love to have one for a run around and hunting rig.

I wouldn't consider the 70 heavy duty with only a 3500 kg towing capacity, nor would the game be over. The duramax can tow double that and is quite proven. The construction company I worked for years ago had a fleet of duramax trucks that were used hard pulling heavy trailers often. When I left they all were pushing 200k of construction use. I only remember any of them being in the shop once.
That said, those little toyota diesels are amazingly reliable and tough, I would love to have one for a run around and hunting rig.
The 70's are ridiculously under spec'd on purpose by Toyota (folks down under routinely get double the power out of the 4.5L without much effort) and come from the factory with lockers front and rear-won't get that on a Duramax at any spec. While they may not be the brutes that a 3500 Chevy/Ford/Ram are, they can go places those jokers never could. In the realm of hunting trucks especially AND at the price they run.....if they were here I know I would have one instantly. When was the last time you saw a diesel, 4 door, 4x4 locked up truck with Toyota reliability for just over $50k? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back