Should CO Full Limited for Elk ?

I don't think a 1 1/2 year old is a calf. A calf is 4-5 mo old.

I have thought about shooting a calf this year but I don't believe I could do it. I'd prefer to shoot an adult muley if I have to keep the animal small enough for me to get it out.
Yeah I’m saying I’d generally prefer a 1.5 y.o. as a happy medium, but a calf of the year fits the bill nicely on a cow tag. To each their own.

Maybe it’s just me but when I hunt an otc archery area which has 4 of the last 5 years, my biggest problem is not other hunters but hikers, bikers, campers, shooters and DOGS! I have encountered them completely off trail at all hours of the day. Even though it would never fly I think finding a way to limit non hunting activity during hunting season needs to be discussed more.

Only for those who do it. A poll would show you you're a small minority.
2019 -CO
1287 Calves
14970 Cows
20838 Bulls

So 8% of B tag holders take a calf. 3% of all tag holders, though the numbers are self reported on the surveys so it assumes your average hunter can tell the difference between a cow and a calf.

2019- WY
10,453 Bull
1,173 Spike
9,647 Cow
1,371 Calf

6% of total, 12% of the reduced price license holders.

Small minority... yeah... but it's definitely not a rare occurrence.

Going to have to start limiting tags for Elk and deer after the wolves eat them all.
Very likely the next couple seasons will be remembered as the “good old days” when we look back in a couple decades; week long November rifle seasons, tags readily available, big bucks, abundant elk - stuff future generations might not believe. Might never be that way again, like the post the other day about a $5 Wyoming license from 1934 good for deer, elk and sheep!

If they just made people burn their points for any tag (1st 2nd Leftover ect ect...) I think a lot of the crowding issues would go away.

I think the idea that holding any tag precludes you from having a chance at a great tag is completely backwards. The only people who would ever hunt the glory tag are either 1.) Those who don't really care about hunting and thus don't care if they have to wait 30 years and 2.) Those who can afford to find ways to get tags from other sources in the meantime (notably, hunting other states).

So yes, your solution would reduce crowding, but it rewards the wrong people.

The hunters most likely to appreciate a "glory" tag are those that have slogged it out in OTC units. Not those that would be willing to not hunt elk for 20 years and then expect to come out to find a trophy bull behind every bush.

I would much rather see a system where only those who are willing to hold an elk tag have a chance at the glory tag. Put me in for the "elk draw" where if I draw, I will have some sort of elk tag, and then only those people who have an elk tag are selected from for the highly limited tags.

Back