Should CO Full Limited for Elk ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
I would be in favor if you get a tag, otc, draw etc. no points for that year. Point creep is so bad because there is such limited incentive to draw when you can go OTC.

Lest we forget Colorado once had 3 day deer seasons.

Would be interesting to see reg books from the 60s-2000s, but I don’t believe CO has ever had long seasons.
We only got 3 day deer seasons because they hammered the deer when they came out with the 3 combined seasons around 1987-88. IMO

When I started in 1985, there was a separate elk season that started about the time 1st does, (2 weeks or so), a 5 day separate deer season at the end of October, then a 12 day combined season the first week of November.

However, we were covered in deer and there weren't many elk then, at least in my neck of the woods.

I've been told by old farts that bow season once went way into October like MT does but that is 2nd hand information.

I'd like to see more emphasis on the resident hunter and less on the nonresident. Having lived in Wyoming and now a CO resident, it would be nice to see a system more like theirs. Maybe that could mean more opportunity for residents and nonresidents who draw (i.e. longer seasons, archery and rifle on one license, etc). This is obviously a long long term idea and perhaps unrealistic. In the short term, I think OTC w/ caps is inevitable at least for nonresidents. Maybe only let residents hunt in Wilderness areas......?
:poop:(n)

While it sounds like going full limited could increase opportunities for residents, my fear is that reducing NR tags will only lead to Colorado looking to reduce hunting opportunities for all hunters. Keeping OTC units is one way to ensure all of us have a chance to hit the woods.

I don't think the DOW cares about offering hunting opportunities. They just want the most money. If NR tags are cut. It means higher tag fees for residents. Fine with me. I just want less hunters.

I hate to say it but something has to happen. Caliroados population growth will ultimately be the problem. A quick google shows me CO has been growing by about a 1million people every 20 years since the 60s. If that rate continues and why wouldnt it the current system will fail. The system needs blown up and total redesign, point creep will never be solved and the longer that can gets kicked the more people and problems will be impacted. My opinion is the WY model with significant adjustments for Colorado's herd management goals. Residents random, otc fallback, nonresidents caps on otc and appropiate ratio in LE units. No points! all randoms including NR OTC apps. In long term i see the ratios being adjusted downward to meet resident population growth and demand. Problem is all disgruntle current point holders and there legit bitch but something could be figured out to transition this somewhat fairly.

CO sure needs to do something to improve the hunting experience for both R and NR. I'm not sure I'll ever hunt there OTC again unless something happens to reduce crowding.

We only got 3 day deer seasons because they hammered the deer when they came out with the 3 combined seasons around 1987-88. IMO

When I started in 1985, there was a separate elk season that started about the time 1st does, (2 weeks or so), a 5 day separate deer season at the end of October, then a 12 day combined season the first week of November.

However, we were covered in deer and there weren't many elk then, at least in my neck of the woods.

I've been told by old farts that bow season once went way into October like MT does but that is 2nd hand information.
I've tasked myself with getting Harvest records and season dates going back to the 70s... mostly I'm just curious. Probably will take me all year.

Anyway, here's 1 year of data not available via CPW's website.
1616778521919.png

1616779231639.png
Total elk
32,722= 1998
37,095= 2020

Also looks like you guys hammered the hell out of the cows back in the 90s lol

I can't believe so many calves are taken every year. I never hear anyone say they're hunting for a calf.

Nor can I believe anyone would shoot one.

I would be utterly embarrassed to say I went to whole way to Colorado and shot a calf....lord.

Hell yes I've hunted for calves on a cow tag. Sometimes they play ball, sometimes not. 1.5 yr cow is just about right, but a fella doesn't always have time to sort through every one before selection. People drive to CO just to load up on weed, I'd say driving to CO to bring home a calf elk is a pretty noble endeavor.

I don't think a 1 1/2 year old is a calf. A calf is 4-5 mo old.

I have thought about shooting a calf this year but I don't believe I could do it. I'd prefer to shoot an adult muley if I have to keep the animal small enough for me to get it out.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back