Yeti GOBOX Collection

Should CO Full Limited for Elk ?

wow i didn't know we've already been through DOW and Parks mergers. i thought that was the first time when Hick "forced" it through. perhaps there was a reason they had become separate again after the first merge?

so it was like this: separate --> merged --> separate --> merged (now)?
Might even be more complicated than that, I went to pull some old harvest stats and they are under 7 different version of the agencies name over time.

If Colorado would manage elk like Wyoming, It would be my favorite state to hunt.

If Wyoming would manage mule deer like Colorado, It would be my favorite state to hunt.

Also anyone got a kid at CU and willing to do a little "home work" for me the only place in the state that has the old harvest stats 50s- 90s are CU, Library of congress and apparently Yale?

CU says if you are an active student you can request them to be made into a .pdf 🤷‍♂️

7 Docs total.
1617128121139.png

Also anyone got a kid at CU and willing to do a little "home work" for me the only place in the state that has the old harvest stats 50s- 90s are CU, Library of congress and apparently Yale?

CU says if you are an active student you can request them to be made into a .pdf 🤷‍♂️

7 Docs total.
View attachment 178951

i'm only 30 minutes down the road, if they would let a non student photocopy them i could do it. if they even have non digital versions....

but i do have a friend doing his MBA there 🤔

i'm only 30 minutes down the road, if they would let a non student photocopy them i could do it. if they even have non digital versions....

but i also have a friend doing his MBA there too 🤔
My assumption that the first two are "book" the last group the statistics are bound 8x11 printouts. The are non-circulating meaning they are in a box somewhere in the basement. They also have them on microfilm :sick:

Pulling them up on worldcat gave me a PTSD flashback to my thesis.

All of this though explains the cut off on stats on CPWs website, they simply haven't had the time to digitize everything.

Regarding bighorn sheep and elk, here's an interesting quote from a game manager in 1940 (Wallace):

“In 1922 a herd of seven elk was introduced into the Ouray district. They have increased rapidly, so that now there are probably about 300 head of elk in the district. These animals compete with sheep for forage. It is not likely elk are the limiting factor in the decrease of the mountain sheep at present, though they may have some influence now and may have had more in the past. In any event that it would seem to be a mistake to introduce elk in a region where sheep are doing well. This view should be considered carefully by anyone who wants to introduce elk into Lost Park and Tarryall Mountains at the present time. A number of people have approached me on the subject of transplanting elk into this area...the only place in Colorado where the sheep are doing well. I have not missed any opportunity to throw cold water on all such proposals.”

So from the info @Oak just gave me + past work.

1617133670392.png

Holy crap as the state been leaning heavily on NR.
1617133707198.png
1617135541263.png1617135489585.png

So everyone likes to compare to WY, WY is at 18% NR allocation currently, all, including tags sold as leftovers.
1617133781556.png

In CO in the 1950s NR got 15% of permits in the draw.

In 58' R tag was $10 and a NR was $50
Today R tag is $56.88 and a NR tag is $688.26.

That differential has exploded.

So CO is giving out waaaaay more tags to NR and making them pay way more for them proportionally.

Oh... and archery is a bit more popular, though shockingly folks did much better with stick bows.

1617133987951.png

1617134295641.png

Last edited:
I'd like to see CO follow the rest of the west and give a bigger preference to residents, all nonresidents having to draw for a general tag like WY seems to be a good system and for god's sake update the ...
units that go 80/20...
I wouldn't be very bothered if I had to pick a unit as a resident, in my experience even the easy to draw limited units have more quality elk than the OTC... going OTC with caps divided into regions would also be a solution to the overcrowding, as much as the issue is blamed on the nonresidents the resident population is growing at a rate that the current system won't be able to handle much longer, it seems like the time to start making changes to fix that issue was about 5 years ago maybe with some luck the CPW will address the problem and not just keep piling everyone who wants to buy an OTC tag on top of each other.... And while we are wishing for things we won't get a random draw without preference points would also be nice ...

Back