Sharing the Wealth

BigHornRam

Saw this transplant on the local news this weekend. What goes around, comes around.:)

"Nebraska has used wildlife from other states for reintroduction efforts of a variety of species within its borders, including bighorn sheep that were captured in Montana and brought to Nebraska. Nebraska was able to return the favor to Montana by providing wild turkeys. It’s just the latest example of interstate cooperation to assist the range-wide conservation of a species."

http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/2015/01/nebraska-turkeys-heading-montana/

Last edited:
Utah traded elk to Kentucky for turkeys. I used to have to drive by one of the traps they used to capture the elk.

Cant image the size of elk after a few years after the transplant .
That would be a different hunt. Head back East for Elk ...😃😃😃

MT.PERCHMAN

Hell all we can do is watch them die of pneumonia, might as well let someone else have them.

Hell all we can do is watch them die of pneumonia, might as well let someone else have them.

Randy,

with all due respect, i think you're missing some important opportunities with any kind of sheep. Must not have spent much time with sheep farmers.

Montana gobbled up Nebraska's trade offer. Montana was spurred on to action. I can just see those negotiators strutting around after sealing the deal.

Doesn't have to happen this way, HD270 sheep are recovering.

They absolutely are. Craig deserves a lot of credit for how that situation was handled.

My comment was an attempted jab at the political gridlock keeping us from starting our own new herds here in the motherland.

They absolutely are. Craig deserves a lot of credit for how that situation was handled.

My comment was an attempted jab at the political gridlock keeping us from starting our own new herds here in the motherland.

Gotcha, I whiiffed it.

Urban-Turkeys_Darg-1_Fotor.jpg

I'll take a breeding pair please...

I was talking with a farmer from SE Montana last fall and he said his land used to be covered with turkeys and that now they had all died off in the last couple of years from west nile virus. I know there is not near as many as there used to be?

In Iowa we have traded for turkeys, bobcats, river otters, and prairie chickens off the top of my head. Many of these species are at levels greater than they were before extirpation. Turkeys were successfully reintroduced in Iowa in 1965 that were received from Missouri. River Otters were first reintroduced to Iowa from Louisiana. Actually, 14 states have received River Otters from Louisiana.

Otters are one of the coolest critters in the world. We need more of them. You can't help but be happy when you're around an otter.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back