Sharing a rifle

Would definately share a rifle......and share a spotter. At least thats what we are doing......

No need for a backup rifle, odds are pretty damn slim something would go wrong with one. And hell, if it does, sharpen a stick and try to spear one:)

Ghost and the Darkness

Val Kilmer " never trust an untried weapon! I pulled the trigger, and to my horror heard the dull snap that tells of a misfire. Worse was to follow."

The parallels are uncanny. I got nuthin.

8 lbs is the difference between making 2 trips?

Please explain...

At what weight do you say enough is enough?

Why bother taking another rifle if you don't really need it other than to help you sleep better at night. Reading some posts, I wonder if some people ever sleep... They obviously don't get wet in their guichi rain gear...... ;)

8 lbs is the difference between making 2 trips?

Please explain...

Really? Two guys, gear, food, two sheep. You're at max capacity right there. That 8 lbs could make it unrealistic to pack all that weight 20 miles.

Each guy has 50 lbs of gear, pack weight and food. Add in roughly 70 lbs of sheep and you have 120 real lbs. This isn't the 100 lb packs you hear about that are actually 80 lbs. Most guys couldn't pack a 100 lbs with the best pack out there. Fact.

Really? Two guys, gear, food, two sheep. You're at max capacity right there..

I can testify that just one sheep 2 guys and all the gear can be max capacity unless you're and animal. That's why we are going to shoot our first one close to the road.;) We weighed our packs last year with one sheep 2 guys and gear and they came in at 85 +- I couldn't imagine adding another sheep

I can testify that just one sheep 2 guys and all the gear can be max capacity unless you're and animal. That's why we are going to shoot our first one close to the road.;) We weighed our packs last year with one sheep 2 guys and gear and they came in at 85 +- I couldn't imagine adding another sheep

I figured you sheep crazy Montana boys would know how to get multiple sheep to the truck asap. Never took you guys for one sheep kinda guys. Mad props yo!

Make the second one a cheap rifle, say a H&R Single Shot with an inexpensive scope. If you get two sheep, just leave the thing on the mountain... ;)

Make the second one a cheap rifle, say a H&R Single Shot with an inexpensive scope. If you get two sheep, just leave the thing on the mountain... ;)

A throw down rifle... hadn't thought of that. I have an old Kimber I could leave up there, save me the weight next year when I go back too. What about rust protection?

I was thinking about taking my fishing gun for kicks (and ptarmigan), and if our rifle implodes, we'll gun one with the the ol pistola... Do you think a .40 would work or would a .44 be better?

Just take Cushman with and use him as a pack mule...problem solved ! LOL

UMMMMM....4 of us shared one 30/30, over a weekend, on a last minute deer hunt, deep into some tidal (up to yer ass in Gator's & snakes) swamp. 4 Bro's/ 4 Deer/ 2 days. The minimial baggage was a Huge plus !!

Back