MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Sharing a rifle

Bambistew

So, say you and a good friend are going on 10-12 day sheep backpack hunt. In order to save weight, say 8lbs... you decide to share a rifle. Good or bad idea? Keep in mind you don't have a guide to 'help' pack your chit, and each of you plan on taking a sheep. Sheep will net about 65lbs of meat, head and cape will come in around 25lbs.

Taking a second rifle could mean the difference of making a second round trip... lets say 20 miles one way, off trail.

I'd be all about sharing, although I'm not all that experienced of a shooter. I wouldn't shoot any better with mine than anyone else's.

Interesting question. What is the cost if the one rifle you bring with fails? I have been on hunts where a hunting partner ends up shooting his deer with my rifle, after his failed.

I agree w/MH especially since you are sheep hunting. If you happen to fall and damage it, you both are SOL! If it were a day hunt, I'd say go for it...but I wouldn't on a backcountry sheep hunt or any other backcountry hunt as far as that goes.

What if you were both carrying the same caliber and shot the same ammo? Divide the tent between the two of you. One stove vs two. Lots of other ways to cut down on your overall weight.

Keep us posted...

Interesting question. What is the cost if the one rifle you bring with fails? I have been on hunts where a hunting partner ends up shooting his deer with my rifle, after his failed.

I have to agree with this. If you happen to slip on the trail and the scope gets knocked off, or worse, the stock breaks or something like that could end the hunt with only a single rifle. I too have been in situations where I have had to use my buddy's rifle, or vise versa.

So, say you and a good friend are going on 10-12 day sheep backpack hunt. In order to save weight, say 8lbs... you decide to share a rifle. Good or bad idea? Keep in mind you don't have a guide to 'help' pack your chit, and each of you plan on taking a sheep. Sheep will net about 65lbs of meat, head and cape will come in around 25lbs.

Taking a second rifle could mean the difference of making a second round trip... lets say 20 miles one way, off trail.

Who the hell would do that? Oh wait....Damn.....

Ps I hate you for making this thread

Not sure but I can let you know in about 14 days how it goes. We are doing it mostly because my bro is feeling studly and is going to take his bow. He gets the first shot so I'm not sure how much he will hold out for using the bow before snagging my rifle. We are hoping for a close one by the road early then we can go in get me one.:rolleyes:

From the sounds of it, most of you could ruin a rock. I've been on a "few" hunts, and have yet had to borrow or loan out a rifle. You could always leave a rifle in your truck and walk out 20 miles to get it if you really need it.

Some people are so afraid of failure... :D

Good point LB... what happens if you took a bow. Not like you could "borrow" your buddies very easily.

Last edited:
Good point LB... what happens if you took a bow. Not like you could "borrow" your buddies very easily.

Until I have 5 or so sheep under my belt I'm packing the rifle. Now Dink and his bro are just on another level killing them sheep with bows :eek: The sheep I'm hunting ge too much pressure and when they see a human they are El gone O in a flash

I'd consider it. I've never had any rifle problems on my backpack hunts. I can only think of one first-hand story of anyone I know having problems.

I assume there must be some trade-off in gear hauling so that the overall weight savings for each hunter is 4 pounds?

From the sounds of it, most of you could ruin a rock. I've been on a "few" hunts, and have yet had to borrow or loan out a rifle. You could always leave a rifle in your truck and walk out 20 miles to get it if you really need it.

Some people are so afraid of failure... :D

Guess you weren't really asking a question?;):D

I agree with the majority. If something happens to your only rifle your SOL. I hsd rifle malfunction on a deer hunt in Utah, lucky I had brought a back up and was able to continue hunting.

I assume there must be some trade-off in gear hauling so that the overall weight savings for each hunter is 4 pounds?

Yeah the trade off is wear and tear on your body, and earlier burn out. Remember you're going for 10-12 days. its going to be hard enough to get up and go every day.

How the hell do you break a stock?

I agree with the majority. If something happens to your only rifle your SOL. I hsd rifle malfunction on a deer hunt in Utah, lucky I had brought a back up and was able to continue hunting.

What happens if you misplace your hunting license?

What if you loose a shoe crossing a river? I'd rather have a broken rifle I think...

Could spend a couple extra days up there kicked back and feasting on sheep meat.:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back