PEAX Equipment

Seeking advice for novice hunter, please.

redhub1

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I have a spike elk tag here in Northern Utah and was wondering about something that seems kind of tricky.

The regulations say that;
1) I have to tag the animal right way.
2) I have to retain the antlers with the skull cap
3) That the tag must stay with the largest portion of meat until consumed.

OK, all pretty explanatory.

BUT - I'm going to be hunting alone and I'm going to be packing it out with my two legs, with brings up a bit of a conundrum. I'm obviously not going to bring the entire elk off the mountain in one load. If I tag the antlers and skull cap and take that with the first load of meat, then the rest of the meat is sitting on the side of the mountain without a tag. If I leave the antlers and tag on the mountain with the carcass, and take a load of meat and I'm stopped on the way back to camp, the load is not tagged.

How do you guys take care of a situation like this? Do you take those tagged antlers up and down the mountain with you?

One last thing - Do you ever worry about, or have you ever had your meat stolen (by 2 legged animals) from a hunt before you can get it off the mountain? I generally trust most outdoorsmen and women, but there is always one guy (or gal) who makes us look bad.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks very much!

Notch the tag and keep it on your person until everything is in one place. I've not had meat/antlers stolen yet.

I have heard of only rare moments when parts of an animal have been taken while another was packing it out. I'd say the circusmtances surrounding them make them very unique. I would not worry about your spike antlers walking away. Keeping the tag with you and not on the carcass could earn you a citation, depending on the state you're in. I would put it on the hind
quarter of your spike and leave it on. If a game warden stops you, while you are packing out, I wouldn't see an issue.

I'm definitely not worried about the antlers except for the fact that the regulations clearly say they must be retained to prove I didn't shoot something bigger than a spike. I just know there will be time between having a whole animal on the mountain and a whole animal at my camp and I only have one tag. I just don't want a citation.

In Kansas, tagging the animal is done immediately, and generally the animal is taken out whole. A fairly new option is to take at least two pictures of the deer, one a closeup of the tag attached at the "knee", and one of the animal that could be considered to demonstrate the gender of the animal. (Rack v no rack, showing the tag in place). These two camera pics can then be sent to KDWPT electronic check in. Other states may not have such a system, but taking a few photos of your downed critter will show your intent to follow regulations in your situation.

Our tags come with an "order number" that would allow you to pre-make psuedo identification tags containing your name, and tag number that could be attached to the various parts while in transit. (Kansas regs specifically prohibit the use of "duplicate tags, thus the premade tags with some ID numbers to refer to the original tag).

I'm from Utah and we have always notched and taped the tag to an antler before starting processing. We've never been stopped by a game warden but if we were I would simply tell him that we're trying to get the meat safe ASAP and that the tag is taped to the antler up at the kill site and he is more than welcome to follow me up to prove it. Just keep the other part of the tag that doesn't go on the animal with you so you can show him you did have a tag and I imagine you wouldn't have a problem. For peace of mind you could also take some pictures of it with your phone just in case. Good luck this weekend!

I asked a game warden about this quandary, or a version of it. He told me just to put the tag in my pocket. I've packed a lot of animals out of the mountains in pieces with the tag just ridding my pocket. I've never a single time been stopped and checked by a game warden.

I am interested in what other's experiences have been with this.

We tape our Tag to a quarter or the antler . We never worried if more of the animal was at truck or the kill site. Never had any meat stolen but did have a uncle who had horns taken alot of years ago. We do leave proof of sex attached to hind quarter also.

Tag in pocket while packing meat (in pieces) off the mountain for me. At least that's worked for me the couple times I've ran into game wardens in Colorado.

Definitely check to be clear on Utahs regs, as every state is a bit different. My initial thought would be to tag a rear quarter, and bring that along with skull cap out on first load. Then leaving both at the truck. This allows you to have the tag on the largest piece of meat, and proof of maturity all in one spot. On top of that, it will all be in the place you could get checked. Ive never ran into the game warden out in the sticks. Also, be sure to check on whether or not you need proof of sex attached to the meat as well like we do in MT. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I did check with the Utah DNR and they suggested what some of you did. Tag the antlers or hind quarter and leave it on the mountain (proof of sex attached as well.) Keep the paper the tag was attached to in your pocket while transporting as proof of having a tag and tell a warden about the situation if stopped. He can always follow you to the kill site if he wants to check. That way my meat is tagged until I get it off the mountain if someone stumbles upon it, and I've met all the requirements. I also like the idea of taking some pictures as proof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back