PEAX Equipment

School me up on buying a 4 to 6 ton excavator and mulching head

npaden

Okay. I'm looking hard at buying a 4 to 6 ton excavator and a mulching head for it. I had been looking at a skid steer setup with a mulching head but I already have a 55hp tractor and think an excavator would be way more useful for other things around than a skid steer would be. Also on my property in Colorado I think an excavator would get around on the steeper slopes better than a skid steer would.

I'm looking at a setup like this -
or this -

I've been looking at a lot of brands of excavators and mulching heads and seems like really most of them are pretty good. If I went out and bought new right now I think I would get a Takeuchi TB260 and a Fecon FMX36 mulcher head. The Takeuchi seems to do really well in most other areas but it has the best auxiliary hydraulic flow out of that range of machines. I am looking to limit myself to a 5.5 ton excavator because that would be about the biggest I could haul with my 3/4 ton pickup and I would like to be able to move it between properties by myself without having to hire it out every time I wanted to move it. I like a lot of the features of the bobcat E50 but it's auxiliary hydraulic flow is only 20 gpm compared to 27 gpm on the Takeuchi.

Of course I would be looking to find a gently used 5 or 6 year old machine with under 2,000 hours on it instead of buying new so I might have to alter my wish list a little. I think I would probably end up buying the mulcher head new, they run right around $20,000 for most of the brands in that size range.

This is something that is most likely going to be a year+ long process on making this decision but I've been looking around and if the perfect machine dropped in my lap at a great price I would probably pull the trigger earlier.

For sure would end up with a thumb on the excavator and a couple different buckets and I think I could find a lot of different things to use it for.

One other thing that I've been looking at that seems to be a variable on the different machines is the blade. Some of them the blade is strictly and up and down and that is it, several add a angle feature and there are a few that go all the way with the full 6 way dozer blade with the angle and tilt. That seems like it would be nice, but I think the 4 way blade would probably be good enough.

I figured there are probably some folks on here with a lot more experience with equipment like that than me and might have some good insights. It seems like the gently used market is pretty good right now for a buyer, I've been reading that it might drop a little more in 2024 but that's all speculation.

Oh well, I've been looking around for a while now and thought I would throw this out there to see where the hunttalk world might steer me.

I've ran that size Bobcat and Kubota. The Kubota had a 6way blade and it is super handy. Mine has a simple up and down on my Bobcat and it seems lacking now 😀. A good friend has a Takeuchi and says it's a good machine but the tracks fall off a lot easier if you let debri load when working on a side hill. He's had several Bobcats also and says they are inherently strong for their size. Another friend has a mulching head on his CAT and I will try to ask him some specifics.
I will say having a excavator on our property is well worth what we spent. Probably paid for itself a couple times over in the few years I've owned it. Not sure if this helps but take it for what it's worth 😀

I follow letsdig18 on YouTube and he just bought a similar set up. He would be a great source to reach out to. He has a ton of hours on equipment and did a lot of the research your looking at.

18k class and under I'm a huge fan of the Takeuchi minis. The aux hydraulics and power select modes are unbeatable in my experiences. I believe they have the highest reach because of the way the boom articulates to the side of the cab, allowing the boom to almost get 90°

Kubota UTV seem to run well with low maintenance, but their construction equipment doesn't impress me.

Anything in the lower price range from CAT (minis,reach lifts, etc) I have no love for. First you have to determine if it's even made by cat or if it's a "yellow" private label subbed out by CAT. Finding a good CAT dealer is going to be hit or miss, mostly a miss when it comes to parts and services.

Can't help you with a mulching head, but Helac power tilt attachments are a solid investment.

Run em everyday. Deere, Kubota, or a Tak in that order would be my pick. Definitely make sure you buy one with a hydraulic thumb. I can't stress enough how handy that is for a little extra money. Especially in your application. The 6 way blade on something like that isnt really good for much for that matter neither is the four way for what your going to be doing with it. Feel free to reach out if you have any particular questions.

Last edited:
I’m jealous. Go with whoever is closest to where you’ll be using it and can get parts the fastest.
This.

But those takuchis are nice for the price. Kubota’s always seem to run much smother to me, and have less slop than a bobcat. But really, when you buy equipment you’re marrying the dealership (even if buying from a private party.) Find the dealer nearest you with great customer service, then find the machine to match.

This.

But those takuchis are nice for the price. Kubota’s always seem to run much smother to me, and have less slop than a bobcat. But really, when you buy equipment you’re marrying the dealership (even if buying from a private party.) Find the dealer nearest you with great customer service, then find the machine to match.
Devils advocate here but find the machine you like the most and has a dealer close enough that your alright with traveling to. Your not gonna be there every week.

Last edited:
But really, when you buy equipment you’re marrying the dealership (even if buying from a private party.) Find the dealer nearest you with great customer service, then find the machine to match.

Becareful you know what you’re buying at the dealership. Some new/ last years equipment that’s been to an auction and on a dealers lot doesn’t have a transferable warranty.

There a few videos on machines that went to a massive auction in FL and machines ended up on other dealers lots. When the machine broke and warranty was requested corporate denied it from processing thru a auction.

Becareful you know what you’re buying at the dealership. Some new/ last years equipment that’s been to an auction and on a dealers lot doesn’t have a transferable warranty.

There a few videos on machines that went to a massive auction in FL and machines ended up on other dealers lots. When the machine broke and warranty was requested corporate denied it from processing thru a auction.
That is a really informative bit of knowledge that I didn't even think about. Ritchie Brothers Auctions should make this known to every bidder

Maintenance can be a chore on these machines, according to contractors i worked with who used them for us. However, they do well in situations that other machines don't, like in heavy vines or smaller shrubs. And soil disturbance is often lower for them. For steeper terrain I bet the excavator would have the edge over a skid steerer for your purposes. That margin may change depending on your transportation parameters.

Thanks for the comments.

I’m up to 880 acres in Colorado and that is probably the main place it will get used. I’m in the very preliminary stage of working with NRCS to possibly get some cost sharing on pinion/juniper abatement. Hoping that will go a little way toward helping with the cost. Even if I don’t get any cost sharing I think I could really put it to use there for more than just the pinion/juniper abatement.

I have 160 acres about 100 miles south of the house that has some pretty thick brush and mesquite that is starting to really take over after a fire about 10 years ago. I’m actually hiring a guy to do some mulching this weekend for me down there where it is so thick even the deer can’t get through it.

Then I have 74 acres around the house that I wouldn’t need the mulcher but could find a few uses for the excavator.

I wouldn’t be moving the excavator around much, maybe two or three times a year depending on where it would be needed. I have thought about letting my 16 year old son run it as a side hustle but really not that much mulching needed very close to our house. He might could go on some jobs 100 miles away that need it but I think that would be pretty infrequent. I have had several friends say they would love to use it but I think I would have to think pretty hard about that. I think it could be more of a deal where my son could go operate it for them at a deep discount so that he could get better at operating it at the friends discount rate so that if he ever gets any paying customers that he can justify the full rate.

I’ve followed several of the YouTube guys using these and they all seem to be using different excavators and different mulchers. This has been great hearing from some of you on personal experiences with the different machines.

Right now I’m just keeping my eye out for a steal of a price on a good used machine. I have a friend that is a heavy equipment mechanic and have him looking as well.

I’m a couple weeks from closing on 160 more acres in Colorado (to get to the 880) and it actually has an old bulldozer on it that supposedly ran 5 years ago that I’ll be checking out to see the possibilities of actually getting it back up and running and if that happens then the need for a dozer blade on the excavator would be kind of a moot point.

Thanks for the input so far.

Thanks for the comments.

I’m up to 880 acres in Colorado and that is probably the main place it will get used. I’m in the very preliminary stage of working with NRCS to possibly get some cost sharing on pinion/juniper abatement. Hoping that will go a little way toward helping with the cost. Even if I don’t get any cost sharing I think I could really put it to use there for more than just the pinion/juniper abatement.

I have 160 acres about 100 miles south of the house that has some pretty thick brush and mesquite that is starting to really take over after a fire about 10 years ago. I’m actually hiring a guy to do some mulching this weekend for me down there where it is so thick even the deer can’t get through it.

Then I have 74 acres around the house that I wouldn’t need the mulcher but could find a few uses for the excavator.

I wouldn’t be moving the excavator around much, maybe two or three times a year depending on where it would be needed. I have thought about letting my 16 year old son run it as a side hustle but really not that much mulching needed very close to our house. He might could go on some jobs 100 miles away that need it but I think that would be pretty infrequent. I have had several friends say they would love to use it but I think I would have to think pretty hard about that. I think it could be more of a deal where my son could go operate it for them at a deep discount so that he could get better at operating it at the friends discount rate so that if he ever gets any paying customers that he can justify the full rate.

I’ve followed several of the YouTube guys using these and they all seem to be using different excavators and different mulchers. This has been great hearing from some of you on personal experiences with the different machines.

Right now I’m just keeping my eye out for a steal of a price on a good used machine. I have a friend that is a heavy equipment mechanic and have him looking as well.

I’m a couple weeks from closing on 160 more acres in Colorado (to get to the 880) and it actually has an old bulldozer on it that supposedly ran 5 years ago that I’ll be checking out to see the possibilities of actually getting it back up and running and if that happens then the need for a dozer blade on the excavator would be kind of a moot point.

Thanks for the input so far.
A kid could get himself in trouble with an excavator. mtmuley

A kid could get himself in trouble with an excavator. mtmuley
Yes. He could get himself in trouble hauling it too. I am thinking it could be something he could grow into with a lot of supervision and maybe be something he could legitimately make money on during summers while he is at college or something like that.

Last edited:
He could also learn a valuable skill.

I was routinely operating much bigger stuff than a mini-ex by the time I was 16.
I get it. But some kids shouldn't even be in a car. Saw some stuff when the owner of the company I work for let his kids operate equipment. I was running farm equipment at a very young age. A valuable skill? Maybe. I can swing a Hammer too. mtmuley

As someone without a dozer. Having the 6 way blade was a great time saver for digging a 3 tiered home site, excavating for the shop, making my RV pad and setting terraced rusted out water tanks for raised beds. It doesn't move a ton at a time, but makes me look like a better operator :).I also have a backhoe for moving dirt, but it is tough to cut a new slope or pad accurately(at least for me). I would love to have a dozer and a bigger excavator like I use at work, but a guy can do a ton with a little 8-12 thousand pound machine without breaking the bank. I will note here that I also like a thumb operated bucket thumb like the Kubota I used, versus the foot operated version that my Bobcat has. The bigger machine that I use at work is a Deere and it is very nice also. Thank goodness it changes from Deere style to CAT style controls with a flip of a valve. My old JCB backhoe has Deere style controls and my Bobcat has CAT style, so it challenges me sometimes when I jump back and forth :). I think I could change it over by switching hoses, but haven't yet because I mostly use it for moving dirt and snow with the front bucket.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back