Caribou Gear

Fly Rods... school me up

Irrelevant

I'm in need of a new travel fly rod. Kids smashed the old one...

Any of you fishin' fools want to share some knowledge. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the gear side of fly fishing. I bought my first fly combo at 13 with my allowance money and have been throwing flies into various small creeks ever since. But I've always only had cheap gear, because, well, I'm cheap. But I have a little more financial wiggle room with this replacement. Is it worth it? What should I be looking for? Where should I be looking? I'm definitely more of a buy used kind of guy for my gear. So far I've mainly just perused FB marketplace and Craigslist; my observations are that, at least here in the PNW, most people seem to be off loading salmon and steelhead gear not trout gear, which makes sense as everything but sockeye and pinks have tanked. I can't even remember when I busted out my steelhead fly rod last, but it's been WELL OVER a decade ago.

Lay it on me, no reasonable nugget of info will be turned down.

There’s a ton of personal preference when it comes to rods as far as stiffer fast action, slower action, etc. A lot depends on your individual casting style. If using it exclusively for shorter range creek fishing I always thought one of the nicer fiberglass rods like the Echo river glass or Orvis superfine glass would be a ton of fun. I have a Sage 3 wt for my mountain creek rod and I love it.

For an all purpose rod it’s hard to beat a good medium-fast action 9’ 5 or 6 wt. While the top end rods are awesome I don’t know that the $1100 you’ll spend on a Winston, Sage R8, or Orvis Helios is really worth it. Especially considering that the $500-600 range will get you a hell of a nice rod like a Sage Sonic or Orvis Recon.

You can also get a really solid rod in the $200-300 range too. I recently got an Echo Ion XL 8 wt at @Hem recommendation and it’s a damn good rod for a very fair price. I also handled an Echo Carbon XL 5 wt the other day that felt very nice and would make a great all around rod for $200.

Whatever you get, make sure the warranty is good for when you inevitably break a tip.

Last edited:
I fished with a lot of cheap Cabelas and Okuma rods before buying a mid-level Winston. Broke the tip last summer and had to go back to a spare Cabelas RLS 5wt rod. I'm not a great caster and often catch as many willows as I do fish and except for the weight of the cheap rod it still casted just fine. I realized that I'm not good enough of a fisherman to really notice much unless spending a huge sum of $ on a ultra premium rod. There may be benefit based on weight and quality of components when spending +$800. If you buy a budget rod with a big name like Orvis, G Loomis, Echo, Reddington, or Hardy there is a very high chance that it was made in the same factory as the cheapest non name rods.

I wanted a lighter rod and ended up with a Moonshine Rods Drifter II 4wt for creek and lake fishing. It casts fantastic and included an extra tip section and carries a no fault lifetime warranty.

MaxCatch rods are good too (I have a 5wt Gold Competition and they threw in an absolute pile of free gear) and are very likely the same rod from the same factory as those with fancy names. It casts great and I only regret having too many 5wt rods and not getting something bigger for streamers.

Don't waste money on a fancy reel unless you're catching big fish that fight. Stream fishing, the reel is basically there to hold line out of the way.

@neffa3, what do you plan on using it for most? Small creeks? Alpine lakes? Dry flies? Streamers?

If you want pure versatility, a 9’ five weight is the standard. If you’re strictly fishing small stuff I’d go down to a four weight. The mid priced rods being made by Echo and Beulah now are as good as the top tier stuff 10-15 years ago. For a buy once, cry once deal I’d get a Winston, Sage, or Orvis in whatever line weight, rod length, and flex configuration is most versatile for you and call it good. They’re all warrantied—if you break them you can get them replaced for free or very cheap.

I'm in need of a new travel fly rod. Kids smashed the old one...

Any of you fishin' fools want to share some knowledge. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to the gear side of fly fishing. I bought my first fly combo at 13 with my allowance money and have been throwing flies into various small creeks ever since. But I've always only had cheap gear, because, well, I'm cheap. But I have a little more financial wiggle room with this replacement. Is it worth it? What should I be looking for? Where should I be looking? I'm definitely more of a buy used kind of guy for my gear. So far I've mainly just perused FB marketplace and Craigslist; my observations are that, at least here in the PNW, most people seem to be off loading salmon and steelhead gear not trout gear, which makes sense as everything but sockeye and pinks have tanked. I can't even remember when I busted out my steelhead fly rod last, but it's been WELL OVER a decade ago.

Lay it on me, no reasonable nugget of info will be turned down.

Depends on what kind of water you're fishing...

Small creeks, small flies, maybe a hopper/dropper or light nymph rig, 3-4wt
Bigger creeks, maybe a river, windy, heavier nymph rigs w/ weight/indicator, streamers, 5-6wt

If you want a new rod without breaking the bank, there are a couple good suggestions above, also look at the TFO Blue Ribbon and LK Legacy series, or a BVK if you can find one new or used.

@neffa3, what do you plan on using it for most? Small creeks? Alpine lakes? Dry flies? Streamers?

If you want pure versatility, a 9’ five weight is the standard. If you’re strictly fishing small stuff I’d go down to a four weight. The mid priced rods being made by Echo and Beulah now are as good as the top tier stuff 10-15 years ago. For a buy once, cry once deal I’d get a Winston, Sage, or Orvis in whatever line weight, rod length, and flex configuration is most versatile for you and call it good. They’re all warrantied—if you break them you can get them replaced for free or very cheap.
Depends on what kind of water you're fishing...

Small creeks, small flies, maybe a hopper/dropper or light nymph rig, 3-4wt
Bigger creeks, maybe a river, windy, heavier nymph rigs w/ weight/indicator, streamers, 5-6wt

If you want a new rod without breaking the bank, there are a couple good suggestions above, also look at the TFO Blue Ribbon and LK Legacy series, or a BVK if you can find one new or used.
So I actually have a pile of fly rods still. I have a steelie rod, and a 10' 5wt for lake trout or bigger river fishing (sink tips, streamers, etc), plus a couple older glass rods for nostalgia.

I'm sorta looking for that 3-5wt (but probably a 4wt), in the 7.5-9' range, 3-5 pc. Something that can live in my day pack for creeks and mountain lakes.

I mean I could dabble in the mid-range nice shit, but I feel like I'm more like @Mthuntr

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that there are some great bargain rods to be had out there new. Also plenty of crappy bargain rods, so it's a tough market segment to find the right thing.

Also of the opinion that those good bargain rods are fine for the majority of anglers unless they're fishing often enough to really recognize the nuances in different actions and tapers and such.

Sierra Trading Post still has some clearance Fenwick Aetos rods up for right around $100. The Yellowstone Anger, in their exhaustive reviews, have called it one of the best bargain fly rods out there. I agree and really enjoyed it as a medium/fast-action rod. I used one of my primary 5wt for over a decade. I broke the tip and finally splurged on a fancy big dollar go-to 5wt this year (Douglas Sky-G). I also have a Redington Classic Trout in an 8'6" 3wt for my smaller fish in larger creeks rod, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of those either. Those two rods were my primary combo for a long time.

Douglas DFX also looks like a fine medium priced rod, but I've never handled one.

Those Yellowstone Angler 5wt "shootouts" are a good place to start your quest. Hatch Magazine has good rod reviews as well to check against whatever else you find.

Seeing your last post now and might consider an 8' - 8' 6" 4wt if I were you.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that there are some great bargain rods to be had out there new. Also plenty of crappy bargain rods, so it's a tough market segment to find the right thing.

Also of the opinion that those good bargain rods are fine for the majority of anglers unless they're fishing often enough to really recognize the nuances in different actions and tapers and such.

Sierra Trading Post still has some clearance Fenwick Aetos rods up for right around $100.
If they had a 9' 4wt I'd have jumped on it. Closest is a 8.5' 5 wt, which I might actually pull the trigger on.
The Yellowstone Anger, in their exhaustive reviews, have called it one of the best bargain fly rods out there. I agree and really enjoyed it was a medium-action rod. I used one of my primary 5wt for over a decade. I broke the tip this year and finally splurged on a fancy big dollar go-to 5wt this year (Douglas Sky-G). I also have a Redington Classic Trout in an 8'6" 3wt for my smaller fish in larger creeks rod, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of those either. Those two rods were my primary combo for a long time.

Douglas DFX also looks like a fine medium priced rod, but I've never handled one.

Those Yellowstone Angler 5wt "shootouts" are a good place to start your quest. Hatch Magazine has good rod reviews as well to check against whatever else you find.

Seeing your last post now and might consider an 8' - 8' 6" 4wt if I were you.
thanks for the info, I'll dive into YA (never heard of it), I've briefly perused Hatch but wasn't sure if their reviews were really any good.

IMX pro creek rod sounds like it fits your bill. 7'9" and comes in 2-4wt. I have the 4wt and love it for small creeks and back country stuff. Hindsight I would go with a 3wt. But overall great rod for the back country.

@Beignet you can stop that Douglas crap right now; I hadn't heard of them and now I want one 🤣. Looks like they have a great warranty too.

As the older companies like Sage and Winston have changed hands warranties have suffered, sometimes for obvious reasons, lots of newbies = more broken rods. Plus more beadheads, killer of rods. I read that Sage is the #1 fly rod maker. #3 is their repair department.

So, it's nice to see a company go a little retro. And there's always Orvis; looks like even their $250 Clearwater import has the 25 year no fault.

To elucidate, or maybe confuse even more, this is a nice article from Trident.

And I vote for a 4 weight for backcountry.

If they had a 9' 4wt I'd have jumped on it. Closest is a 8.5' 5 wt, which I might actually pull the trigger on.

thanks for the info, I'll dive into YA (never heard of it), I've briefly perused Hatch but wasn't sure if their reviews were really any good.
Trident also does some ok general reviews if you want to dive in a bit deeper.

Seems like they changed the look of the Aetos from when I had one (and from many of the reviews). Nevertheless, I'm sure you'd be happy with it. Maybe not as a dedicated creek rod though...

FWIW, I used a Scientific Angler MPX fly line for a long time with mine, but don't really think it was optimal. It casts fine, but has a short head and doesn't mend well. I'd look for something a half size heavy. When casting a true to weight double taper with that rod I had to get some line out to load it. From what I've noticed over the last five or so years, Scientific Angler seems to have taken off from Rio in terms of line durability. That's a whole 'nother rabbit hole though.

I think you are looking for the right tool. A packable 3 or 4 wt will serve you well. Also, I advise that you buy a rod used off ebay. There are just so many deals on there. It makes it hard to buy a new rod, unless you really want something very very specific. Even most cheap rods are really not bad these days. I wouldn't spend more than $250 in your situation, probably less.

@Beignet you can stop that Douglas crap right now; I hadn't heard of them and now I want one 🤣. Looks like they have a great warranty too.

And I vote for a 4 weight for backcountry.
I never ever in my life thought I'd spend so much money on a fishing pole, but also realized that I fish a ton and might treat myself to something nice. I always though I was an ok caster, but can land a fly on a dime from a reasonable distance with this thing.

I agree on the 4wt for what he's looking for though. Maybe still a new Fenwick at retail even.

I think you are looking for the right tool. A packable 3 or 4 wt will serve you well. Also, I advise that you buy a rod used off ebay. There are just so many deals on there. It makes it hard to buy a new rod, unless you really want something very very specific. Even most cheap rods are really not bad these days. I wouldn't spend more than $250 in your situation, probably less.
I was def heading down this route, but honestly had no idea you could get a new rod with a lifetime no fault warranty (i.e. Douglas) for that price.
I agree on the 4wt for what he's looking for though. Maybe still a new Fenwick at retail even.
My 5 wt is a middle of the road fenwick i treated myself to when I got my first "real" job out of college, it's excellent. Unfortunately being 2 piece, I just don't use it all that much.

I bought a St Croix rod after years of fishing with entry level rods. It makes a world of difference. I bought mine from a friend who was upgrading.
I loved my St. Croix. Since then, I have a custom rod from a fund raiser, and won a custom bamboo in a raffle. Now, my St. Croix sits on a shelf. Crazy to think.

I was def heading down this route, but honestly had no idea you could get a new rod with a lifetime no fault warranty (i.e. Douglas) for that price.
The warranty factoring into the price of a new rod was a big debate I brought up on another forum. I think they're a little too forgiving causing rods to be more expensive, but they're sure nice to have when you do goof. My GF has had her Orvis rod tip replaced twice in as many years. Those trees and rocks always seem to jump right out in front of her.

The warranty factoring into the price of a new rod was a big debate I brought up on another forum. I think they're a little too forgiving causing rods to be more expensive, but they're sure nice to have when you do goof. My GF has had her Orvis rod tip replaced twice in as many years. Those trees and rocks always seem to jump right out in front of her.
...kids, the bane of every nice thing you own.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back