Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fly Rods... school me up

The warranty factoring into the price of a new rod was a big debate I brought up on another forum. I think they're a little too forgiving causing rods to be more expensive, but they're sure nice to have when you do goof. My GF has had her Orvis rod tip replaced twice in as many years. Those trees and rocks always seem to jump right out in front of her.
I’ve broken a lot of rods over the years. Don’t think I’d ever buy one without a solid warranty. But the warranty has definitely made me more careless that I would otherwise be without it.

@neffa3, a lightweight, packable, 9’ four weight tip flex is about as versatile of a mountain creek and lake rod as you can get. Those Douglas rods look sweet.

I've got more rods that I know what to do with. I've had many, many trout rods... I really think the newer cheap rods are just as good as the high dollar rods of 20-30 years ago. The blanks are much more consistent these days, vs the old days whey they were hand picked to make nice rods. I've had Winston, Fenwick, TFO, St. Croix, Redington, Orvis etc. The rod seats fit better on nice rods, more options on handles and somewhat better guides/tips. IMO the fly line makes as much or more of a difference than the rod.

I bought two Piscifun 5wt rods (from Amazon) and reels a couple years ago to leave in MT when I go fish there in the summers. I've been quite impressed. I think I paid $120 for the combo. The reels are crazy good for the price and are equally as good as any of the ones I have that are $200, and they cost like $60. I'm going to buy a few 8wt for salmon. The drags are really nice, although you don't need much of a drag for trout fishing.

I'm sure there will be purists that will scoff at me. :) I catch all the fish I want and don't look good doing it.

Just consider what or how you intend to chuck with them. Fast or slow action. I like fast action for everything, just like the feel better, but some people like one for streamers, one for dries, and one for nymphs. They are fish with a brain the size of a pea, don't over think it...

So I actually have a pile of fly rods still. I have a steelie rod, and a 10' 5wt for lake trout or bigger river fishing (sink tips, streamers, etc), plus a couple older glass rods for nostalgia.

I'm sorta looking for that 3-5wt (but probably a 4wt), in the 7.5-9' range, 3-5 pc. Something that can live in my day pack for creeks and mountain lakes.

I mean I could dabble in the mid-range nice shit, but I feel like I'm more like @Mthuntr
I have an ECHO Lift 7'6" 3wt. Where I'm at as I move to better gear as my skills grow.

I got it for stream fishing, but I'm surprised how far it will shoot WF4F.
I broke the tip under my boot last week and ECHO sells replacement tips.

3 wt
Why?
Is it really enough rod?
windy day alpine lake... am I going to regret having such a tiny thin noodle of a rod? edit: <-LOL (YES!)

I've got more rods that I know what to do with. I've had many, many trout rods... I really think the newer cheap rods are just as good as the high dollar rods of 20-30 years ago. The blanks are much more consistent these days, vs the old days whey they were hand picked to make nice rods. I've had Winston, Fenwick, TFO, St. Croix, Redington, Orvis etc. The rod seats fit better on nice rods, more options on handles and somewhat better guides/tips. IMO the fly line makes as much or more of a difference than the rod.

I bought two Piscifun 5wt rods (from Amazon) and reels a couple years ago to leave in MT when I go fish there in the summers. I've been quite impressed. I think I paid $120 for the combo. The reels are crazy good for the price and are equally as good as any of the ones I have that are $200, and they cost like $60. I'm going to buy a few 8wt for salmon. The drags are really nice, although you don't need much of a drag for trout fishing.

I'm sure there will be purists that will scoff at me. :) I catch all the fish I want and don't look good doing it.

Just consider what or how you intend to chuck with them. Fast or slow action. I like fast action for everything, just like the feel better, but some people like one for streamers, one for dries, and one for nymphs. They are fish with a brain the size of a pea, don't over think it...
I've always tried to buy the nicest lines I can afford, and I always upsize as well, but honestly I haven't had to buy a fly line in well over a decade.

Used all manner and make during my guiding career. Sage are the most over rated, most often broken of the high end rods. While I always carried extra rods I carried an extra two if I had Sage guys in the boat. Echo are the best value Winston and Loomis are pretty hard to beat. When we sold the lodge last year we had about 8 or 10 loomis 8wts that were pushing 20 years old. New Loomis rods are very very nice.
Found over my career That NW steelhead worm drowners picked up casting a fast action rod easier than most.
Go buy yourself a new Loomis or Winston in a fast action 4wt. and enjoy your life.
Life is too short not to own a fine double gun and a fine fly rod. Of course there are great values out there But there is nothing like throwing a top drawer Winston or Loomis and appreciating the subtle refinement.

Been fly fishing for 48 years, self taught starting at 12. Broke one rod from a heavy fly impact. What you homies doing breaking so many rods?
@Beignet ....the pole is between your legs, the rod is what you fish with.🤣
Kidding aside...with Western mountain waters IMO a 8'6" 5 wght is the versatile choice, though if you plan on more lakes than creeks lean towards 9' 6 wght. Easier to elevate the cast with shoreline obstacles.
Small rods in length and weight are fun but suck in wind. Typically they have a slower action which isn't my preference.
Many good rod options already suggested. The only outfit not mentioned is LLBean. Worth a look maybe. Good warranty. I have plenty of high end rods but like others have said gobs of mid range options. Echo has outstanding options and warranty( read, quick turn around). Love this company, probably have 8 rods from them. Read some reviews. A good caster can make anything work.

Been fly fishing for 48 years, self taught starting at 12. Broke one rod from a heavy fly impact. What you homies doing breaking so many rods?
@Beignet ....the pole is between your legs, the rod is what you fish with.🤣
Kidding aside...with Western mountain waters IMO a 8'6" 5 wght is the versatile choice, though if you plan on more lakes than creeks lean towards 9' 6 wght. Easier to elevate the cast with shoreline obstacles.
Small rods in length and weight are fun but suck in wind. Typically they have a slower action which isn't my preference.
Many good rod options already suggested. The only outfit not mentioned is LLBean. Worth a look maybe. Good warranty. I have plenty of high end rods but like others have said gobs of mid range options. Echo has outstanding options and warranty( read, quick turn around). Love this company, probably have 8 rods from them. Read some reviews. A good caster can make anything work.
Not breaking many, but if you're casting streamers or beadheads in the wind, you're going to nick the blank every few thousand casts, and that is where it will break fighting a fish. I think I broke one Loomis IMX, my fault, as I was trying some dehooking tool and it was at an acute angle, but it was prob weakened by a nick. One Winston B2x I broke lifting a 4# rainbow, and my buddy said, just beach him, he'll be OK which I never thought of. And he was kind of a fisheries manager, so was probably right.

Unlike @Salmonchaser's experience, don't think I've had a Sage break, and that's from Graphite II to X. Maybe the fact that you're being guided makes a difference.

I'm honestly not sure who is designing Winston rods now; used to stop in there and chat with the builders. Most of those folks left, though. @shrapnel might know. For a good while, most of my rods were Winston.

As for lines, Scientific Anglers is the longest lasting in my experience.

Unlike rods, most of the newer reels are unbreakable. Ebay is your friend there. I just looked at Orvis used reels and there are some great deals.

Anyway, choose quickly. Fall fishing is almost upon us, and we have factory tapered vs hand-tied leaders yet to discuss. And which fluoro has the best knot strength. ;)

...maybe.
Unlike rods, most of the newer reels are unbreakable. Ebay is your friend there. I just looked at Orvis used reels and there are some great deals.
No shit man, I swear the different in my old metalist and everything in the last dozen years in night and day, even cheap shit is really nice.
Anyway, choose quickly. Fall fishing is almost upon us, and we have factory tapered vs hand-tied leaders yet to discuss. And which fluoro has the best knot strength. ;)
Hand-tied
P-Line

Fall fishing is almost upon us, and we have factory tapered vs hand-tied leaders yet to discuss. And which fluoro has the best knot strength. ;)
You hand-tie your leaders? I did that many years ago and felt the juice wasn’t worth the squeeze. As for the fluoro (or mono) question, I’ve aways been partial to Rio’s stuff. For line though, AirFlo is tops.

Not breaking many, but if you're casting streamers or beadheads in the wind, you're going to nick the blank every few thousand casts, and that is where it will break fighting a fish. I think I broke one Loomis IMX, my fault, as I was trying some dehooking tool and it was at an acute angle, but it was prob weakened by a nick. One Winston B2x I broke lifting a 4# rainbow, and my buddy said, just beach him, he'll be OK which I never thought of. And he was kind of a fisheries manager, so was probably right.

Unlike @Salmonchaser's experience, don't think I've had a Sage break, and that's from Graphite II to X. Maybe the fact that you're being guided makes a difference.

I'm honestly not sure who is designing Winston rods now; used to stop in there and chat with the builders. Most of those folks left, though. @shrapnel might know. For a good while, most of my rods were Winston.

Yeah outfitters/ guides go through gear.
Fishing the salt is hard on everything,

No shit man, I swear the different in my old metalist and everything in the last dozen years in night and day, even cheap shit is really nice.
I still love my old Akron, O era Medalist. Dressed it up a bit with a contemporary CNC milled foot and a metal disc drag from One Pfoot. Someday I’ll get one of those old CFO’s or a Hardy click and pawl that really sings.

IMG_0502.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back