Caribou Gear Tarp

School Me On Ice Fishing Gear

For walleye I would be Leary of cordless drill augers. My walleye fishing is punch 30-40 holes covering structure going from deep to shallow hole hopping. Not sure how much ice you get there

Marcum LX7
Clam 2-man insulated flip over
Mr Heater (Buddy)
Ion 8” Drill
Fenwick Aegis 26” rod w 8lb Power Pro (6lb Vanish leader)
Pfluger President 1000 series (or eq.)
Handful of #2 and #3 Jigging Rapalas
Beaver Dam tipups with Dacron/8lb Vanish leader.

Now you’re walleye fishin’.

You can easily drill 2-3 dozen holes with a 8” auger and a 20V cordless drill with one battery. In pretty thick ice too. I use mine at first ice all the way to mid-season when I need an extension (24”+ of ice).

I convinced @Mthuntr to take it off my hands before I moved like I was doing him a huge favor :)
Still have it

I say get an electric auger or drill adapter. I have a gas auger that's over a decade old and runs like a champ. I am concerned a bit about battery life but dang those electric augers are nice.

A fish finder is a game changer. Lots of different styles. I've avoided buying a camera but might one day. Water clarity is a must.

I bet I have $500 of ice jigs and use like 5 of them..

I'm using cheaper poles and do well. A $30-50 rod will catch just as many as $200 rod

Last edited:
For walleye I would be Leary of cordless drill augers.

I get why you say that, I too run and gun. I haven’t been to the bottom of a Ion battery, and if I had the issue I would get a backup battery.

We don’t get the ice you do, although 24”+ is pretty common. Up by you I could see leaning towards gas- but I have an SUV, and will never go back from an electric drill.

Also should have added that I’m mostly interested in walleye fishing and not trying to go on the cheapest end of things. Not interested in hand augers
Imo/e...learn how to fish spoons and snap/nod Nils/rapalas...

Buy an auger that will drill 100+ holes a day.

What size auger diameter will that operate? Worm drive drill? That's a good one I've not tried.
I have an 8" auger, I use a regular 18v milwaukee "fuel" drill with a couple of 5 ah batteries. I haven't drilled enough holes in a day to kill a battery yet.

Back