Fly Rods... school me up

So, first trip with the new rod. I really like it. The ease that it throws line is ridiculous. The water was gin clear so any tailout fish had to be presented to from a ways downstream. The rod excelled at the long casts and delicate settles.
1695666797694.png

1695666825980.png

1695667822973.png
^I forgot to take the wrapper off the cork and didn't want to mangle it with a sharp rock or my teeth. Need to remember to cut it off tonight when I get home.

1695667915721.png
The kids were using an old fiberglass rod with some success.
1695667977883.png

1695668002015.png

I love this early fall fishing, throwing giant hoppers to greedy fish, where it's a disappoint when a cast doesn't entice a rise...
1695668094564.png

1695668132910.png

Something about expensive fishing rods you should know. Shut the door on them and they break just like inexpensive ones! I have kids!

Last edited:
Well hell, this got me to thinking. My old friend George Gerke seemed to think the only fly rods worth having were bamboo and who am I to doubt that. These days about all I fish for are catfish and crappie but looking at the photo's above sparked an old interest in me. Loved fishing stream's with a flyrod. Shoot even still have an old one George gave me many years ago. Fiberglass and no reel but I could get a new reel easy enough. The rod is in a metal tube and survived a house fire years ago!

Might have to try it again, really liked fly fishing but George wipped my eye every time. George was the inventer of Gherke's Gink and zink. Floatant and sinker. Told me everything needed to make it people have in their kitchen but never told me what is was. I think his wife, Gladas continued making it for a time after George died but have lost track of her.

Just what I need, a new fishing reel! :)

Thoughts on these three. As much as I'd love to take @Salmonchaser advice, I'm just too cheap.

Moonshine Rod Co. The Drifter Series Fly Rod with Extra Tip https://a.co/d/eesrKhj
I met a guy while living in alaska that made his own fly rods from Fenwick blanks, he had a bunch of them! Strange thing about him is he didn't fish at all, just made rods and didn't sell them or use them!

Back