Caribou Gear Tarp

scales

BR-549

OK fellas.. I've had it with my Lee safety powder scale and i am ready to upgrade to digital.

You guys have way more experience than I so your thoughts and recommendations would be well received.
Ready to buy tomorrow!

Don't trust digital yet myself. Bet somone here will help though. mtmuley

That surprises me..... I figured they are the trend.
Guess I'm mostly looking for something different and better based on HT folks recommendations.
Struggling with repeating weights and oh yeah my eye sight isn't so good anymore.
What do you use mtmuley?

i have a RCBS chargemaster and LOVE it, i did a lot of research and seems lots of reviews that at 2 years they seem to fail but for the last year it has worked way better than that old throw scale.

C

I've used digital for years. We use them in our lab every day. I looked on Ebay and bought a nice little Ohaus scale that reads to .01 grams. It doesn't read in grains, so I have to convert it, but I do that stuff all the time, so it's not a biggie for me. I would not fear the digital though. I would say for sure you would probably want to go with a scale made for reloading so you don't have to convert anything.

I'm old school. Every charge weighed on a balance beam. One less thing to worry about. mtmuley

Just about any scale that isn't a Lee will be better. I use a Lyman but Hornady, RCBS, and a host of others make good balance scales. I don't see the need for an electronic scale when you aren't doing a lot of volume reloading and then at that point I'd probably switch to a ball or short cut powder and go to a metered powder drop.

I use a balance beam (old RCBS) and that is a proven technology. The digital scales vary so much in price I wonder if you get value for your money or you have to pay a lot to get accuracy. Do your research before you decide on one, or if you can try one from a friend.

I'd suggest a good powder measure/thrower over a digital scale. When doing large lots it makes it go a lot faster. Can take a bit of time to get it set up, but once it is you can flat make ammo. I check with the balance scale every 10th round. I have a Redding Model 3 and have been happy with it. It's worked from 357 Mag loads of 7gr to 338 Mag loads of 70gr.

I'd suggest a good powder measure/thrower over a digital scale. When doing large lots it makes it go a lot faster. Can take a bit of time to get it set up, but once it is you can flat make ammo. I check with the balance scale every 10th round. I have a Redding Model 3 and have been happy with it. It's worked from 357 Mag loads of 7gr to 338 Mag loads of 70gr.

This. I've had the same RCBS Uniflow powder measure for close to a decade without any worries. I weigh every charge for rifle, and every 15 or so for pistol. It's mostly set & forget.

Still use the RCBS 505 scale. No problems whatsoever.

I'll third the powder measure / beam balance.

I do have a digital analytical balance (older Mettler). It works fine - but is very sensitive to vibrations. So you need a good solid table and some static brushes (the brushes help with handling the powder as well I've found). The conversion from grams to grains isn't tough (as sra61 mentioned).

I was never impressed with the accuracy of the RCBS 505 until I checked it against the 5 place Mettler (digital). It is every bit as accurate as the digital.

I've gone through stages of where I want to get one of the 'newer' digital balances, but I really don't see the need.

I have a Dillon D-terminator digital scale that sits on the shelf and only get used now and again.
My go to scale is a RCBS 10-10. I really like it. I had an older RCBS 505 for a long time but I think the 10-10 is much easier to adjust and easier to fine tune. I weigh every load and try to be as exact as I can get. I have kicked around the idea of a RCBS Chargemaster but haven't pulled the trigger for the reasons mentioned.

Thank you for the replies guys.

I wasn't too worried about conversion either as I have had plenty of math and do plenty of calculations/ conversions at work.

I was pretty frustrated the other day when I started the thread and have since calmed down a bit. Definitely getting something new but Im hesitant to pull the trigger on a three bean scale too.

I have a charge thrower but only use it for my .357 cowboy action loading.

I am going to look at all of your recommendations and see which one fits me and my budget best.

:)

The Frankfort Arsenal $25 scale is pretty good for what it is. Otherwise buy a Chargemaster as that is the real end game unless you go benchrest crazy.

I manage a materials lab. We have 10 scales between field scales and very accurate bench scales, and not one of them is an old school balance. Digital scales are the only thing we have used for a long time. When I reload I use a powder measure to throw the charges close and then finish each charge with the digital scale. It's quick and accurate. It's easy enough to use something to check the scale each time it gets turned on to make sure the weight is on. Most come with a small weight or weights to check it's calibration. I think I paid $20 on Ebay for my little Ohaus .01 gram digital. It was like new and works flawlessly. I have loaded a lot of shells with it.

GemPro 250 with an Omni Automatic Powder Trickler works really well for me. I use it for working up loads and for standard reloading.

Back