Sarcocystis in Game Animals

WyoDoug

This is something that is being found in elk this year. I am interested in thoughts from people who have hunted for years like I have. It is spread to humans through consumption of uncooked meat so if I saw this in my own elk, deer or antelope, I would not eat it or at the minimum, I would not eat it rare. I asked a game warden if he would feed it to his own family and he indicated he would take it to a landfill. I have seen this in rabbits that I hunted and I threw them away. This is a protozoan parasite that is spread to animals through feces infected habitat that gets consumed by any animal that feeds on the vegetation. Humans can get it from handling raw meat without gloves and not washing hands after handling meat or through eating uncooked meat. It looks like small grains of rice in the meat and you see it more after you cut the mucles open. I asked a biologist about it and he says that it is probably safe to eat if fully cooked but he would not personally.

Re-read your link. Humans can not contract Sarcocystis from most wildlife (maybe from wild primates). Sarcocysts are host-specific.

Most hunters encounter sarcocysts in waterfowl (rice breast). During necropsies, I’ve seen it most commonly in elk, particularly the heart. Again, humans can’t catch it from waterfowl or elk. Many people won’t eat it due to the aesthetic appearance and just the idea of eating parasites, and game officers won’t ticket someone for tossing infected meat, but it has nothing to do with human health.

Re-read your link. Humans can not contract Sarcocystis from most wildlife (maybe from wild primates). Sarcocysts are host-specific.

Most hunters encounter sarcocysts in waterfowl (rice breast). During necropsies, I’ve seen it most commonly in elk, particularly the heart. Again, humans can’t catch it from waterfowl or elk. Many people won’t eat it due to the aesthetic appearance and just the idea of eating parasites, and game officers won’t ticket someone for tossing infected meat, but it has nothing to do with human health.

Um...I did my research. I did not depend on what was on the G&F Website. You should look it up on medical websites. When sarcocysts parasites are ingested by humans, they infect the intestinal walls and can be detected in human fecal samples. If left untreated, then can eventually reach the human muscular system. Again, humans get it from eating uncooked infected meat, usually beef or pork. Here is the CDC article on it: https://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/sarcocystosis/index.html

Not sure where your info comes from indicating this is host specific because humans definitely can become dead end hosts for this parasite.

I disagree because I got sick with it hunting rabbits and cleaning them with bare hands. Back in my days of hunting, no one used gloves for dressing anything. It is rarely fatal to anything, but it does come with side effects as symptoms such as nausea, stomachache, and diarrhea can happen vary widely depending on the number of cysts ingested. Protozoan parasites also emit toxins into into the host muscle and cause the same symptoms in humans depending on how long the animal was infected and hoe many cysts are ingested in the uncooked meat. Again, cooking will kill the parasites but it will not get rid of the toxins in the waste they emit. This is not as bad as the TB infections we are warned about, but they can result in intestinal issues.

Humans can become dead end hosts of Sarcocystis spp. after ingesting contaminated meat with mature cysts and can also get it from contaminated water. By dead end host, that means it does not spread from there. Many people who get infected with it have no idea it happened. Because humans are dead end hosts for this type of Sarcocystis, it eventually dies. Diagnosis is usually via a biopsy of a tissue sample or stool sample that has to be tested by a lab and here most labs will not take samples older than one hour. I am betting it helps if the doctor suspects it as an issue. Freezing also kills the parasites and the cysts but does not get rid of toxins emitted from the parasites through their life cycle. I don't have proof of this, but my bet is that people with any serious level of kidney dysfunction might have problems with this. I have a mild kidney dysfunction related to the surgery I had a few years ago and a long series of kidney stones I got treated for, so I for one am sensitive to anything like this.

Last edited:
This has been found in ducks in the UK, the advice we got from one of our shooting organisations was it is not a threat to human health if the meat is cooked, but they also said, they would not recommend eating the meat!
Talk about covering their own backsides!
Cheers
Richard

Um...I did my research. I did not depend on what was on the G&F Website. You should look it up on medical websites. When sarcocysts parasites are ingested by humans, they infect the intestinal walls and can be detected in human fecal samples. If left untreated, then can eventually reach the human muscular system. Again, humans get it from eating uncooked infected meat, usually beef or pork. Here is the CDC article on it: https://www.cdc.gov/dpdx/sarcocystosis/index.html

Not sure where your info comes from indicating this is host specific because humans definitely can become dead end hosts for this parasite.

My info comes from lots of years of being a wildlife health professional. The two species of Sarcocystis referenced in this new link you posted are the only two species known to infect humans, and also infect pigs and cattle. Neither of those species infect wildlife. Neither of the species found in waterfowl or elk have ever been found to infect humans. In cases where humans serve as a dead end host, the primary clinical sign is intramuscular cysts like what you see in ducks. There have been fewer than 100 cases of that ever reported, and the causes were unknown. There was no documentation to connect them to being contracted from wildlife. Cases of humans contracting one of the two species for which they are a definitive host result in intestinal infection. No Sarcocysts emit toxins.

Generic precautions as far as carcass handling and meat cooking apply.

I’m sorry Doug, I don’t mean to offend. But you post a lot of half-correct, misinterpreted, and just plain wrong disease stuff on here and I’m not going to just let it go. People should really understand the health ramifications of wildlife disease. Suffice it to say on this subject that Sarcocystis is not something that should keep most people up at night.

Still too tired from my weekend to comment further.

My info comes from lots of years of being a wildlife health professional. The two species of Sarcocystis referenced in this new link you posted are the only two species known to infect humans, and also infect pigs and cattle. Neither of those species infect wildlife. Neither of the species found in waterfowl or elk have ever been found to infect humans. In cases where humans serve as a dead end host, the primary clinical sign is intramuscular cysts like what you see in ducks. There have been fewer than 100 cases of that ever reported, and the causes were unknown. There was no documentation to connect them to being contracted from wildlife. Cases of humans contracting one of the two species for which they are a definitive host result in intestinal infection. No Sarcocysts emit toxins.

Generic precautions as far as carcass handling and meat cooking apply.

I’m sorry Doug, I don’t mean to offend. But you post a lot of half-correct, misinterpreted, and just plain wrong disease stuff on here and I’m not going to just let it go. People should really understand the health ramifications of wildlife disease. Suffice it to say on this subject that Sarcocystis is not something that should keep most people up at night.

Still too tired from my weekend to comment further.

Looks like we can agree to disagree. CDC has more cases than you quote. I asked the G&F biologist if he would serve meat with this to his family and he shook his head no and said he would send it to a landfill. I personally would not eat this meat, but cooking does kill the parasites and so does freezing it for a spell.

Second, I rarely post disease stuff on here so your attack is more personal rather than constructive. Seems you come out of the woodwork when you wanna insult someone. I know you got some friends that seem to like that but rather than insult my intelligence, support it with facts. Humans are known to be end hosts for this type of the disease. CDC sites several cases if you spend time going through their website and other medical websites. G&F seems to of missed that. Now, as far as worrying about it, 1 in 200 animals are believed infected. That is quite rare. The effect of this disease on humans when spread is relatively minor with symptoms of stomach flue that goes away and some people that were infected were asymptomatic. This variety in humans is transmitted through eating uncooked meat or contaminated water and rarely infects more than the intestines. However, I know this because I was given the diagnosis from the doctor after a lab test. I was married to the toilet for a good 3-4 days so don't tell me I do not know what I am saying, please.

Looks like we can agree to disagree. CDC has more cases than you quote. I asked the G&F biologist if he would serve meat with this to his family and he shook his head no and said he would send it to a landfill. I personally would not eat this meat, but cooking does kill the parasites and so does freezing it for a spell.

Second, I rarely post disease stuff on here so your attack is more personal rather than constructive. Seems you come out of the woodwork when you wanna insult someone. I know you got some friends that seem to like that but rather than insult my intelligence, support it with facts. Humans are known to be end hosts for this type of the disease. CDC sites several cases if you spend time going through their website and other medical websites. G&F seems to of missed that. Now, as far as worrying about it, 1 in 200 animals are believed infected. That is quite rare. The effect of this disease on humans when spread is relatively minor with symptoms of stomach flue that goes away and some people that were infected were asymptomatic. This variety in humans is transmitted through eating uncooked meat or contaminated water and rarely infects more than the intestines. However, I know this because I was given the diagnosis from the doctor after a lab test. I was married to the toilet for a good 3-4 days so don't tell me I do not know what I am saying, please.
What a joke. "Come out of the woodwork"? @Hunting Wife contributes frequently, intelligently, and clearly.

Doug, in fairness to HW, you have posted things on diseases. TB in deer, and diseases in rabbits. Not sure of the factual data you posted though.

As far as HW, I have found her posts on anything to do with biology to be factual and spot on. I have asked her opinions on many things as many others on here have done as well. I think this thread needs to calm down quickly.

Also, no one would expect someone to serve cystic meat regardless of health issues or not. The game warden was likely addressing that

Threads like this always remind me of one of my favorite quotes-

"The greatest aspect of the internet is that every person is given a platform to speak. The worst aspect of the internet is that every person is given a platform to speak."

Thanks for the clarification Hunting Wife.

My info comes from lots of years of being a wildlife health professional. The two species of Sarcocystis referenced in this new link you posted are the only two species known to infect humans, and also infect pigs and cattle. Neither of those species infect wildlife.
sooo- this CAN (has been proven?) be contracted from wild (feral) pigs ? either by eating uncooked meat or during the skinning / cleaning process thru cuts on the person ?

I have been sick four different times from wild game. Two times with trichinosis, one from a wild pig I didn't cook fully and another from an antelope I let hang when it was way too warm. I had ring worm from rabbits I butchered but that one is no big deal since it only inflects the skin. I also think I got Sarcocystis from rabbits after I cleaned about 6 I shot on our farm and got the same symtoms that was confirmed by lab tests with the elk I ate. I got a lab diagnosis of Sarcocystis spp. specifically after eating an elk backstrap rare like I like it and my case was referred to CDC which is why I quote that website. There are about 200 known cases of humans being a host to Sarcocystis spp. variation of the parasite. Humans are known to be end host to several variations that biologists often say are not infectious to humans. Yet CDC has cases on file where it is detected in tissue biopsies and in stool samples. Morale of the story is use your own judgement and face consequences as a result. Keep in mind we were once told that West Nile was not infectious to humans. We know now that humans are end hosts for that virus with birds as the intermediary hosts and spread by mosquitoes. In this case, Sarcocystis spp. can be spread to humans by eating uncooked meat, ingesting contaminated water, or accidental ingestion of the parasite when handling raw meat. However, as I have said, it rarely infects more than the intestinal area and I know of no cases where it has got into the muscular system of humans. Once you are host with this variation, it can be detected in your stool for 2-6 months and may cause intestinal distress and diarrhea. Some people are completely asymptomatic. In my experience the symptoms went away after a few weeks and testing I had to do were completely negative after 8 weeks. All they could do is treat the symptoms as there are no known treatments for Sarcocystis itself.

Last edited:
I have been sick four different times from wild game. Two times with trichinosis, one from a wild pig I didn't cook fully and another from an antelope I let hang when it was way too warm. I had ring worm from rabbits I butchered but that one is no big deal since it only inflects the skin. I got a lab diagnosis of Sarcocystis spp. specifically after eating an elk backstrap rare like I like it and my case was referred to CDC which is why I quote that website. There are about 200 known cases of humans being a host to Sarcocystis spp. variation of the parasite. Humans are known to be end host to several variations that biologists often say are not infectious to humans. Yet CDC has cases on file where it is detected in tissue biopsies and in stool samples. Morale of the story is use your own judgement and face consequences as a result. Keep in mind we were once told that West Nile was not infectious to humans. We know now that humans are end hosts for that virus with birds as the intermediary hosts and spread by mosquitoes. In this case, Sarcocystis spp. can be spread to humans by eating uncooked meat, ingesting contaminated water, or accidental ingestion of the parasite when handling raw meat. However, as I have said, it rarely infects more than the intestinal area and I know of no cases where it has got into the muscular system of humans. Once you are host to this
WyoDoug=711 posts
Hunting Wife=1,241 posts

🤔

Perhaps I could be out of line, but I will have to research her posts to be sure. There are a number of members that have over 1000 posts too, but all I see them post is "Welcome to HT" even when it is not one of those "Introduce Yourself" posts.

If I got sick as much as Doug from eating wild critters, I'd switch to vegetables. mtmuley

Does the guy who has numerous accidental discharges qualify as a gun safety expert?

Back